Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

can i take a computer monitor, and computer parts in checked baggage with aer lingus?

can i take a computer monitor, and computer parts in checked baggage with aer lingus?

Old Nov 19, 18, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

flying aer lingus UK to USA for holiday

i'm very soon travelling to the usa from edinburgh via dublin (stobart to dublin), but the conditions of carriage say that in checked baggage there may be 'no fragile items' and 'no computers' 'no personal electronic devices'.

the things i want to take are a computer monitor and a computer peripheral, both fragile, but would be fine if handled with care as would be carefully packed. both quite expensive.

Edit: what about compensation for items damaged or lost in transit in my bag? if i was carrying several middle to high value items? i would like to buy and bring back some pc parts from the states too and worry whether i would be protected in the event of theft, loss or damage to them.. being as it goes against their 'conditions of carriage' in the baggage section of their legal details pages.... ... kind of conditions are those

Last edited by milkyjoe; Nov 19, 18 at 3:40 pm Reason: added question about compensation in the event of bag contents damage in transit
Old Nov 19, 18, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
So they say no fragile or computer or electronic items and you want to check fragile computer and personal electronic items and think that is within the limits? You have literally admitted that you know everything word for word violates the terms but want assurance that for you they are permitted. Good luck.
I'd also worry about US customs with the going on holiday reason, and taking a computer monitor along vs. say, the more typical laptop computer.
Watch "Border Security" and see how they love to pry them open looking for contraband.
AlanA and alserire like this.
Old Nov 20, 18, 5:10 am

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, EI Concierge
I have taken PC monitors in checked baggage previously - knowing it was at my risk. Plenty of bubble wrap and all was OK. I attend a lot of trade shows and renting that stuff can be quite expensive. I have had a couple of notes from TSA put in the bag indicating they opened and checked it. I do bring a low cost monitor and wouldn't risk any serious equipment.
Old Nov 20, 18, 9:09 am

Programs: AerClub - Platinum
Astounding original post.

In case you missed it the answer would be no, you can't.
Old Nov 20, 18, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
So they say no fragile or computer or electronic items and you want to check fragile computer and personal electronic items and think that is within the limits? You have literally admitted that you know everything word for word violates the terms but want assurance that for you they are permitted. Good luck.
I'd also worry about US customs with the going on holiday reason, and taking a computer monitor along vs. say, the more typical laptop computer.
Watch "Border Security" and see how they love to pry them open looking for contraband.
actually you have it slightly wrong. i wanted assurance that they *aren't* permitted, and now i have it. you didn't need to react the way you did. i haven't flown for over 10 years and i was so astounded on reading it, i could hardly believe it and i wasn't totally sure that i was understanding correctly what i was reading. that i couldn't take 'fragile or valuable' items in my checked baggage without risking loss or damage at my own expense. around 2005 i had a guitar in checked baggage which was destroyed in transit and i was compensated for it.
Old Nov 20, 18, 8:30 pm

You wanted assurance - your original post quoted the airline that they weren't allowed, which makes sense. Even if you could chase them for payment if you've ever seen how baggage is handled you wouldn't willingly put fragile items in it. With bubble wrap or anything else. Maybe tank armor.

Not sure what's astounding about breakable things not allowed in luggage or why anyone would risk it. They certainly have not all started to wear kid gloves after ten years.
alserire likes this.
Old Nov 20, 18, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

When I spoke to the airline, one of the CallCenter agents told me that ďall bags are treated as fragile.Ē I fail to see how they can make that claim if the bags arenít carefully handled. Barring some exceptional YouTube level negligence, which the way I picture it could possibly, and I do mean possibly, be rare now, and the agentís claim could be true.
Old Nov 20, 18, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

What can I say, I was surprised. Forgive me for being surprised and maybe incredulous. I just always thought that if they broke it they bought it. Times have changed. Like I said I was once compensated for a smashed up guitar. Not a priceless one exactly, but 3 figures.

I was also surprised, perhaps more overall, but they forbade you to put them in the hold at all. Or at least thatís how I was reading it and what I wanted to know too. I thought, if they want compensate for broken items, how could they stop you from putting non-harmful things in your luggage for transportation. I could always get travel insurance for things I put in a checked bag.
Old Nov 21, 18, 12:23 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus
Who knew checked luggage could cause people to get so wound up?!

Originally Posted by milkyjoe View Post
What can I say, I was surprised. Forgive me for being surprised and maybe incredulous. I just always thought that if they broke it they bought it. Times have changed.

Alas no - I recall one time asking an Aer Lingus check in lady if I could put a "Fragile" label on my checked bag (thinking it would make a huge difference!) and she replied by saying that EI never use them. I would imagine that they extend the same courtesy to untagged luggage as every other airline.

If you haven't flown yet, have you considered taking the equipment on as had luggage? Although beware, while EI can generally be pretty flexible (especially TATL) their Air Stobart bag size limits are much lower and staff can be sticky on those flights.
mccartje likes this.

Last edited by ferg01; Nov 21, 18 at 12:25 pm Reason: Re-read first post
Old Nov 22, 18, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by milkyjoe View Post
When I spoke to the airline, one of the CallCenter agents told me that ďall bags are treated as fragile.Ē
True if "fragile" is defined as "like a rugby forward against the All Blacks" or "trebuchet ammunition".

Search this Thread