Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

EI refusing to refund me to a different account after schedule change

Old Oct 22, 18, 9:47 am
formerly Wilko Pali Sedef
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite+

Hi guys

I'm abit desperate I booked 4 R/T tix CDG to SEA via DUB totalling 2125 EUR back in June 2018 for travel in May 2019. 2 weeks ago Aer Lingus advised me of a schedule change leaving me with an 8 hour layover in Dublin on the way back. Traveling with 2 young children I decided to cancel the booking. Problem is I since then closed the bank account I used to pay for the tickets. Aer Lingus is refusing to refund me to another account in my name. Do I have any recourse about this? I'm totally lost, I sent proof the bank account is mine with ID etc but they are refusing to budge & I'm out 2125 euros...

Thanks for any advice.
Old Oct 22, 18, 10:35 am

Programs: AerClub - Platinum
Originally Posted by AirCanada881 View Post
Hi guys

I'm abit desperate I booked 4 R/T tix CDG to SEA via DUB totalling 2125 EUR back in June 2018 for travel in May 2019. 2 weeks ago Aer Lingus advised me of a schedule change leaving me with an 8 hour layover in Dublin on the way back. Traveling with 2 young children I decided to cancel the booking. Problem is I since then closed the bank account I used to pay for the tickets. Aer Lingus is refusing to refund me to another account in my name. Do I have any recourse about this? I'm totally lost, I sent proof the bank account is mine with ID etc but they are refusing to budge & I'm out 2125 euros...

Thanks for any advice.
What have they said to you? If they try to refund to a closed account then the transaction will bounce back. Maybe you should ask them to do that and take it from there when the transaction won't go through. Ask them what their policy is in cases like this. They can't keep your money, that much I would be sure of.
Old Oct 22, 18, 10:58 am

Programs: Aerclub - Concierge, BA - Silver. Avis - Presidents Club
Can you ask for a cheque or something like that instead to be posted to you instead?
Old Oct 22, 18, 1:29 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Silver
The correct procedure is to refund to the account/card used. There are all kinds of security and money laundering concerns.
Old Oct 22, 18, 3:15 pm

Programs: AerClub - Platinum
Originally Posted by ROKNA View Post
The correct procedure is to refund to the account/card used. There are all kinds of security and money laundering concerns.
Yes but there must be a policy with regard to an account that has been closed. They cannot simply keep the money because the account it was originally paid from has closed. That's also a form of fraud.
rickg523, altabello and Kier like this.
Old Oct 22, 18, 3:42 pm

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
I had a similar issue with Lufthansa. They insisted that they would pay into an account which I had closed. It turned out OK as my old bank received in the funds and then wired them to me once I let them know what was happening. Took an extra few days but no hassle. Contact your old bank and see what they say.

Best of luck.
Old Oct 23, 18, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who responded. Indeed the issue is that the account is now closed, As I had booked the flights 4 months ago I didn't think about the option to cancel the flights nor did I foresee I would need to close this account.

I can ask about the check, not sure French banks can process foreign checks, at least the check would be in euros. I'll ask my old bank just in case there's something they can do.

Thanks so much for your help, I'm relieved to know they can't just keep my money...
hopeful_me likes this.
Old Oct 24, 18, 6:05 am
Original Poster

I have received confirmation from my old bank that they have received the refund & will send it to my new account. So happy!

Search this Thread