Fare classes

Old Oct 18, 18, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aerclub,ba executive, flying blue, miles and more
Fare classes

I'm a little confused. Just booked return flights from BHD-LHR. Plus fare on the way to London and a rather expensive saver on the way back. I was under the impression a plus fare gets you 25 tier points, but the fare code in the email says W. Which would appear to mean 7.5 points. I'm I missing something here?
Old Oct 19, 18, 1:08 am

Programs: Aer Lingus, BA, Hilton
I had a similar query ones, and Aer Lingus told me that all plus fares get 25 tier points, regardless of fare class.
Old Oct 19, 18, 1:49 am

Programs: Aerclub - Concierge, BA - Silver. Avis - Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Shamrock86 View Post
I'm a little confused. Just booked return flights from BHD-LHR. Plus fare on the way to London and a rather expensive saver on the way back. I was under the impression a plus fare gets you 25 tier points, but the fare code in the email says W. Which would appear to mean 7.5 points. I'm I missing something here?
As already noted you will get 25TPs if booked in Plus fare, fare code in this case is irrelevant and merely reflects the underlying fare class if you had booked a saver fare. Just FYI in case you are unaware you can check what fare class you will be booked into in advance of purchase (important for any saver fares you buy to know if you'll get 15TPs or 7.5TPs), explanation in this post Fare Class Before Booking
Old Oct 19, 18, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mccartje View Post
As already noted you will get 25TPs if booked in Plus fare, fare code in this case is irrelevant and merely reflects the underlying fare class if you had booked a saver fare. Just FYI in case you are unaware you can check what fare class you will be booked into in advance of purchase (important for any saver fares you buy to know if you'll get 15TPs or 7.5TPs), explanation in this post Fare Class Before Booking
Thanks that explanation has been very helpful and I will certainly use it if I book any further aer lingus flights
Have to say though I think they are being sneaky to put it mildly. I paid the exact same fare on a flight from Munich to Dublin, which came out as R. The return flight from LHR to BHD which cost the same is an A. Left a bit of a bad taste I must say, will have to just wait and see if this plus fare actually gets 25T. May well be looking elsewhere in any case
Old Oct 19, 18, 4:11 am

Thanks that explanation has been very helpful and I will certainly use it if I book any further aer lingus flights
Have to say though I think they are being sneaky to put it mildly. I paid the exact same fare on a flight from Munich to Dublin, which came out as R. The return flight from LHR to BHD which cost the same is an A. Left a bit of a bad taste I must say, will have to just wait and see if this plus fare actually gets 25T. May well be looking elsewhere in any case
To be fair I'm not sure if this is fully EI's fault. Your R fare from MUC although priced the same overall as that from LHR will have earned EI more in ticket fare I think and hence was a higher R class fare earning more TPs. The A class fare price total from LHR will have been made up of higher taxes and fees (I think due to geographic area, specific airport fees among others) and EI would have earned less from the ticket fare I believe so therefore it was a lower class A fare earning 7.5 TPs.

I agree it would be better if fare breakdowns were more easily accessible and easier to understand in general leading to less confusion for passengers, I struggle myself even though I fly most weeks.
Old Oct 19, 18, 4:21 am
Original Poster

To be fair I'm not sure if this is fully EI's fault. Your R fare from MUC although priced the same overall as that from LHR will have earned EI more in ticket fare I think and hence was a higher R class fare earning more TPs. The A class fare price total from LHR will have been made up of higher taxes and fees (I think due to geographic area, specific airport fees among others) and EI would have earned less from the ticket fare I believe so therefore it was a lower class A fare earning 7.5 TPs.

I agree it would be better if fare breakdowns were more easily accessible and easier to understand in general leading to less confusion for passengers, I struggle myself even though I fly most weeks.
Yes exactly, I mean I wouldn't consider either of the flights I mentioned to be 'promotional or sale' fares. And for people self funding it makes it very difficult to go anywhere in aer club it seems. You basically have to pay at least a plus fare, most of the time you don't even need the check on bag. A fairer way would be based on number of flights like some other programs do.
Old Oct 19, 18, 4:38 am

Yes exactly, I mean I wouldn't consider either of the flights I mentioned to be 'promotional or sale' fares. And for people self funding it makes it very difficult to go anywhere in aer club it seems. You basically have to pay at least a plus fare, most of the time you don't even need the check on bag. A fairer way would be based on number of flights like some other programs do.
I agree it'd be good to have a flight # target for status achievement as an alternative. I wonder is the assumption by EI that if you take 25/30 odd flights you're quite likely to hit status anyway with a natural mix of 7.5/15/25 TP flights so they didn't bother add in that route.
Old Oct 19, 18, 4:43 am
Original Poster

I agree it'd be good to have a flight # target for status achievement as an alternative. I wonder is the assumption by EI that if you take 25/30 odd flights you're quite likely to hit status anyway with a natural mix of 7.5/15/25 TP flights so they didn't bother add in that route.
Well going by the fact most of their saver fares appear to be only 7.5 and not 15 it would take you 41 flights. So it seems to me to be completely aimed at people who are being paid to travel and flights bought for them. Because that's not realistic for other people

Last edited by Shamrock86; Oct 19, 18 at 4:44 am Reason: Spelling
Old Nov 12, 18, 4:24 am

Programs: BA GFL, BA GGL, IHG Spire, HH Diamond
Does anyone know if booking a code share with BA booking class W on TATL ex DUBLIN actually delivers a prem economy experience or is really just another seat in economy?

Last edited by Bluebrummie2000; Nov 12, 18 at 4:29 am Reason: Error in posting
Old Nov 12, 18, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Life, EI Concierge, BA Silver
Not sure of BA Booking Class, but EI don't operate a premium economy product - so likely just economy unless the price was close to €2k r/t and then it might be business
Old Nov 12, 18, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA GFL, BA GGL, IHG Spire, HH Diamond
Thx keatm1.

I kind of guessed that might be the answer as I had never heard of a premium economy EI product...
Old Nov 12, 18, 2:23 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Silver
W class on a EI sold (i.e codeshare) is cheapest of the cheap economy so expect nothing

Search this Thread