FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aer Lingus | AerClub (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub-718/)
-   -   Best way to upgrade two economy JFK-SNN tickets booked through BA next summer? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub/1936153-best-way-upgrade-two-economy-jfk-snn-tickets-booked-through-ba-next-summer.html)

decillion Oct 18, 2018 12:02 am

Best way to upgrade two economy JFK-SNN tickets booked through BA next summer?

I have two family members who are meeting me in SNN on the same day in late June. I'm flying business and trying to meet them in SNN. They usually only release 1 business seat and 5 economy seats. So we had them booked in economy using MR -> Avios -> Booked through BA over phone (so fees were ~$34 instead of $116).

How can I upgrade these tickets? I understand there's a bidding system... how does that work exactly? Do I have to keep checking for saver availability? When does Aer Lingus usually do that? And is this all different because I booked through BA?

preacherirl Oct 18, 2018 2:33 am

If it's a cash fare booked directly with EI, you should get an email shortly after you make your booking, offering you the opportunity to bid for an upgrade. You will not get this email or have the opportunity to bid cash for an upgrade on a reward ticket, or indeed a ticket booked via BA. So forget about that option.

If you are Concierge or Platinum level with EI you can call and ask them to see if you can use your complimentary upgrade(s). They usually won't tell you straight away but keep chasing them.

If you are not Concierge or Platinum it's possible to upgrade using Avios points. Again, call Aer Lingus and request it. They are hard to get but there is always a chance especially on a route from SNN which presumably doesn't have much business traffic.

But be aware that an EI agent told me that the priority list is:
1. Concierge level free upgrades
2. Platinum level free upgrade
3. Upgrades paid for by Avios for Aerclub status members
4. Business class reservations for Avios (not upgrades)
5. All other upgrades.

Sounds like you are in category 5 and very unlikely to get one. Even priorities 1 and 2 above generally find it quite difficult.

BrianDromey Oct 18, 2018 2:44 am

Originally Posted by decillion (Post 30327429)
How can I upgrade these tickets? I understand there's a bidding system... how does that work exactly? Do I have to keep checking for saver availability? When does Aer Lingus usually do that? And is this all different because I booked through BA?

The bidding system isn't offered to tickets booked via Travel Agent/3rd Parties AFAIK. You will have an EI booking reference (it starts with 2) within the Avios booking receipt, put that into manage my booking on aerlingus.com. I don't think you'll see the bid to upgrade button.

The slightly better news is that you can upgrade Avios tickets, by paying a £35 change fee and the difference in Avios and Surcharges. To do this there must be seats available in Business class, however - which may be the pinch point.

DELLAS Oct 19, 2018 10:13 am

Originally Posted by BrianDromey (Post 30327709)
The bidding system isn't offered to tickets booked via Travel Agent/3rd Parties AFAIK. .

When did that change as it was still allowed last month ?