Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Just received Schedule Change Notice from Aer Lingus:

Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GE, B6 True Blue, Hilton Honors, IHG

We are booked on Nov 23 FCO>DUB> MIA , the whole itinerary on Aer Lingus. Original booking had a 2 hour layover in Dublin. Just received an email from Aer Lingus that the flight from FCO is arriving DUB 45 minutes later than original itinerary, thus we will only have 1 hour and 15 minutes to make connection in DUB, where I know we have to preclear customs. Both our flights from FCO to DUB and DUB to MIA both arrive and depart from terminal 2 in DUB so I guess that's a plus.

We are both American citizens with Global Entry. Is this still doable? Would Aer Lingus make this change if it wasn't doable? Was on hold with them now for almost an hour, then my call got dropped! No one answers the phone at Aer Lingus!

If we didn't make our connecting flight to MIA, I realize Aer Lingus is still responsible for getting us home, but what would that entail? Do they put us on another carrier and how long can they legally make us wait in the airport? Since DUB>MIA leg is direct, do they have to provide another direct flight DUB>MIA if we don't make the original because of their schedule change? Aer Lingus only flies direct to MIA Wed, Fri and Sun.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is a legal connection and late enough in the afternoon that the CBP pre-clearance shouldn't be too bad. You will very likely make the connection without issues. And you won't be stuck in the basement that is the US departures area for an extended period of time.

If you miss they'll rebook you, either on their own metal or partners. There are no other flights that will get you to Miami on that Friday. The likely play will be a London connection.

Only you can decide your tolerance for what missing the flight would mean. But given that it is a valid connection/timing you might have trouble convincing the carrier to do anything else for you anyways.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
As sbm12 notes, this should not be an issue ... and EI will protect you in worst case scenario ...
Also, if you took a couple of seconds to look at the EI website, you'd find this easy-to-follow connections guide ...
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:24 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Aer Lingus Forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EC 261/2004 will require EI to rebook you on a substantially similar routing. As others note, unless you want to wait for two days for the next nonstop, you will look for a connection to MIA on one side of the Atlantic or the other.

Rather than worrying, why don't you take a look at what alternatives there are and call EI and see if they won't rebook you now. That avoids the delay compensation and duty of care problem for EI and EI may be willing to do so. You are certainly no worse the wear for asking. But, do not simply call without proposals in hand.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Great advice, thanks everyone.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
With GE, assuming worst case

10 minutes from door of aircraft to flight connections (assuming the worst possible gate)
5 minutes in flight connections
3 minutes to USCBP
5 minutes for security check
3 minutes GE
28 minutes and thats fairly worst case

Its legal and EI likely to hold the aircraft or send someone out to collect the connecting pax and usher them through
Afternoons are quiet I've gotten through on regular CBP control in less than 10 minutes
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Sounds good.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:20 am

Also if you are feeling a time pinch and CBP is looking busy see if you can use the business class lane (obviously if you are business anyway use it) to get you to security check a tiny bit quicker, I'm sure people won't mind on a tight connection. The security check is also just electronics and shoes removal, bag through scanner so moves quickly.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Yeah, this is easily doable with GE.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.