Upgrade with Avios Dub-LAX

Old Sep 17, 18, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade with Avios Dub-LAX

Hi

I am not sure if there was similar question before: if I get upgrade to business class with avios points (as is cheaper even to buy points on avios.com and request upgrade) can I choose seat after? Of course I will prefer 3K or 5K so I am curious
And also.. if I upgrade my flight can I change dates if decide to go different day than was original booking? Before I upgraded myself by paying for business and I could change dates without any fee. How about upgrade with avios?

BTW: Is there any Aer Lingus longue in LAX?
Old Sep 18, 18, 3:38 am

Programs: Aerclub - Concierge, BA - Silver. Avis - Presidents Club
To upgrade using avios there needs to be a business class award seat available. Usually only 1 released per flight. You can check if there is one free on your flight date on avios.com and logging in with an aerclub account. Otherwise you will not be able to use avios to upgrade so would be wasting your money buying them for this purpose. Flight changes depend probably on your original fare rules but honestly not sure how it maps to an avios upgrade in that instance also.

I think Aer Lingus use the virgin lounge in LAX.
user2018 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 18, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mccartje View Post
To upgrade using avios there needs to be a business class award seat available. Usually only 1 released per flight. You can check if there is one free on your flight date on avios.com and logging in with an aerclub account. Otherwise you will not be able to use avios to upgrade so would be wasting your money buying them for this purpose. Flight changes depend probably on your original fare rules but honestly not sure how it maps to an avios upgrade in that instance also.

I think Aer Lingus use the virgin lounge in LAX.

So I checked few dates on avios website and there was nonne business class seats available from Aer Lingus only economy was available, buy business seats was available with British Airways. So is it possible that Aer Lingus business seat cannot be booked there?

Last edited by user2018; Sep 18, 18 at 5:09 am
Old Sep 18, 18, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by user2018 View Post
So I checked few dates on avios website and there was nonne business class seats available from Aer Lingus only economy was available, buy business seats was available with British Airways. So is it possible that Aer Lingus business seat cannot be booked there?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. If avios.com is showing no aer lingus business seats available then that is the case (this is not unusual). There may well be BA business class seats available but of course this is on a BA flight which will likely connect through LHR on route to DUB. Also keep in mind using avios to purchase or upgrade flights comes with an additional cash fee that is not insignificant, you may need to consider this in your calculations for buying avios as I doubt very much purchasing avios to fully book/upgrade a flight will save you any money.
Old Sep 18, 18, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mccartje View Post
I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. If avios.com is showing no aer lingus business seats available then that is the case (this is not unusual). There may well be BA business class seats available but of course this is on a BA flight which will likely connect through LHR on route to DUB. Also keep in mind using avios to purchase or upgrade flights comes with an additional cash fee that is not insignificant, you may need to consider this in your calculations for buying avios as I doubt very much purchasing avios to fully book/upgrade a flight will save you any money.

I mean I checked few weeks before and few weeks after my flght and there was no business class seats available on a Aer lingus flights. Actually I cound't find any offers for business seats. Is this up to Avios or Aer Lingus to offer availability of the seats? I spoke yesterday with nice girl on the Aer Lingus customer care and she told me there should be no problem as there is plenty business seats available. I did dummy booking and checked that all business class seats are available right now for this flights
Old Sep 18, 18, 10:07 am

I mean I checked few weeks before and few weeks after my flght and there was no business class seats available on a Aer lingus flights. Actually I cound't find any offers for business seats. Is this up to Avios or Aer Lingus to offer availability of the seats? I spoke yesterday with nice girl on the Aer Lingus customer care and she told me there should be no problem as there is plenty business seats available. I did dummy booking and checked that all business class seats are available right now for this flights
It'd be up to aer lingus to make seats available for avios award booking. If the nice girl is sure she can offer you those seats using an avios upgrade then go for it. First I have heard of this happening but EI can be a bit random. Let us know if you make it work, would be big news for me if so. I just hope you don't waste your money on avios and are not successful.
Old Sep 20, 18, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
It's up to Aer Lingus to make business class seats available for points upgrades.

There might be 10 business class seats available to buy with cash, but 0 available to buy with points.

Usually Aer Lingus allow just 1 business class seat for points. If someone already has this, then you are out of luck. Even if the 10 seats available are still there on the day of the flight, it is still possible 0 will be available to buy with points.

This availability for points also applies to using your points to upgrade an existing booking. I hope this helps!
Old Sep 21, 18, 5:28 pm

Programs: EI Silver, AF Ivory, SPG Gold, HH, IHG Priority Club, Choice Privileges
BTW: Is there any Aer Lingus longue in LAX?
On my last LAX-DUB flight, Aer Lingus were using the Delta lounge
Beware though, I am silver and the Delta staff refused me entry saying that Silver was not entitled to use the lounge, even a Bank of Ireland mastercard branded with Aer Lingus was allowed in.

Search this Thread