FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aer Lingus | AerClub (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub-718/)
-   -   New Concierge Benefit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub/1928896-new-concierge-benefit.html)

keatm1 Sep 4, 2018 9:31 am

New Concierge Benefit

Was on DUB-LHR last week and asked for a cup of tea from the trolley - immediate resonse was "oh, Mr. Keatm1 you're Concierge correct? Free Tea/Coffee and a biscuit!" ...of course...on the return leg I was met with a blank look when I asked for my Free Tea (but to be fair, they gave it to me anyway). Anyone else or just an exceptional crew?

ROKNA Sep 4, 2018 1:23 pm

This seems to be a new thing

Likely it will only work on IE <-> UK, IE -> EU and NL-> IE as the crew have no knowledge of your status at outstations

trustno1 Sep 4, 2018 5:45 pm

Travel every week to and from Frankfurt (sometimes I make 2 return trips in the same week). It’s happened to me once in 2017 and once so far this year. I buy a cup of tea on all my return late night flights from FRA (I’m usually asleep on the outward leg at 07:00). It would be a nice touch but I’m not that bothered. The cabin crew change consistently and it’s rare that you would see the same Senior in any given month or two. I would also point out that judging from my fellow passengers and their hand luggage Concierge bag tags, I see the same faces week in and week out and the Monday morning flight ex DUB and the Thursday evening flight ex FRA would have in the region of about 10 Concierge passengers on Board which might limit the freebies.

What I have noticed is that the Concierge line will always book a seat assignment free of charge even if the fare is a Saver one. I love this little perk as it saves me €40 on my Saver bookings.

KudosNI Sep 7, 2018 3:25 am

There are a couple of crew on BHD-LHR who always gave me a free coffee/bar of chocolate as I was frequent flyer, regardless of Concierge (wasn't at the time, am now). The little things make the difference

ASHFlyer Sep 7, 2018 6:58 am

Hold your horses

Looks like everyone is getting their hopes up with the free seat selection and food. Aer Lingus is and continues to be a Ryanair equivalent with some extra lipstick on it.

I wouldn’t bank on using your concierge card to get these sort of perks. I’ve never once gotten a free seat selection or freebies for being Concierge but rather for being nice.

BA are thinking of introducing this though, but they’re much more loyal to their FFs.

alserire Sep 7, 2018 8:35 am

Originally Posted by ASHFlyer (Post 30178015)
Looks like everyone is getting their hopes up with the free seat selection and food. Aer Lingus is and continues to be a Ryanair equivalent with some extra lipstick on it.

I wouldn’t bank on using your concierge card to get these sort of perks. I’ve never once gotten a free seat selection or freebies for being Concierge but rather for being nice.

BA are thinking of introducing this though, but they’re much more loyal to their FFs.

Maybe you should switch your FF scheme to BA? You seem to do nothing but complain about EI.

ASHFlyer Sep 7, 2018 8:42 am

Not at all. I put in feedback/recommendations here and there. Staying Aer Lingus is a low fare airline is a fact not a complaint.

BA have a horrible business class and no free upgrades.

mccartje Sep 7, 2018 9:20 am

Originally Posted by ASHFlyer (Post 30178015)

I don't understand this statement. FFs are loyal to airlines, the airlines offer perks to keep FFs loyal to them. I don't see how any airline program can be more loyal to a FF than another. They can offer more and/or better perks if this is what you mean? In which case it's a bit of a mixed bag between BA and EI depending on what level you are at and of course how much you personally benefit from the perks.

I would say EI Silver >> BA Bronze, EI Plat = BA Silver (in terms of comparison of perks w/ parent airline but BA would edge it overall having OW perks), EI Conc > BA Gold (again just comparing perks w/ parent airline, here EI edges it because EI conc is relatively easier to attain). Just my opinion here, note I have never been BA gold or EI conc (but i'll likely hit it this year) so can't comment on that level from personal experience.

ASHFlyer Sep 7, 2018 9:46 am

Originally Posted by mccartje (Post 30178550)
I don't understand this statement. FFs are loyal to airlines, the airlines offer perks to keep FFs loyal to them. I don't see how any airline program can be more loyal to a FF than another. They can offer more and/or better perks if this is what you mean? In which case it's a bit of a mixed bag between BA and EI depending on what level you are at and of course how much you personally benefit from the perks.

I would say EI Silver >> BA Bronze, EI Plat = BA Silver (in terms of comparison of perks w/ parent airline but BA would edge it overall having OW perks), EI Conc > BA Gold (again just comparing perks w/ parent airline, here EI edges it because EI conc is relatively easier to attain). Just my opinion here, note I have never been BA gold or EI conc (but i'll likely hit it this year) so can't comment on that level from personal experience.

AerClub is better than BA, hence why I'm AerClub and not BA.

The point that I'm making is that I often go to the airport and get asked to pay extra if my bag is slightly overweight, have to pay to select my seat when on Saver tickets and so on. EI is a low fare airline - this won't change because you happen to have a black tag on your bag nor do I expect it to. The only thing that makes it worthwhile is the free upgrades.

Just my opinion of course!

PS. I disagree that AerClub is "easier" to attain status - on BA you can travel with any OW airline, BA Business Short-Haul is often cheaper than Plus fares (especially from LCY) and the tier credits you get for Business long-haul on EI are 250 return vs BA 320 tier points return if flying through LHR from DUB.

mccartje Sep 7, 2018 10:05 am

Originally Posted by ASHFlyer (Post 30178656)

PS. I disagree that AerClub is "easier" to attain status - on BA you can travel with any OW airline, BA Business Short-Haul is often cheaper than Plus fares (especially from LCY) and the tier credits you get for Business long-haul on EI are 250 return vs BA 320 tier points return if flying through LHR from DUB.

Yes there are more opportunities worldwide with OW and being able to earn TPs with them towards BA but you still need to take the flights to get 1500TPs for BA gold, I meant easier as in it takes less TPs. IF BA business fares are cheaper on a particular route versus plus fares then ok then in that 1 case its easier to gain to status (this kind of flies in the face of EI being a low fares airline :) ). You are not comparing like with like on your business comparison as you are adding in a connection through LHR. 250 TPs EI -vs- 280 TPs BA return is probably a fairer reflection on the greater benefit for flying business BA and making it quicker to make it to Gold but to make up another 449TPs you'll still need to fly a couple of extra J legs in BA. Also min EI TPs is 7.5 and BA is 5 (then 15 vs 10 for next level) and a BA econ flex is still only 20 whereas for a plus fare its 25.

trustno1 Sep 7, 2018 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by ASHFlyer (Post 30178656)
AerClub is better than BA, hence why I'm AerClub and not BA.

The point that I'm making is that I often go to the airport and get asked to pay extra if my bag is slightly overweight, have to pay to select my seat when on Saver tickets and so on. EI is a low fare airline - this won't change because you happen to have a black tag on your bag nor do I expect it to. The only thing that makes it worthwhile is the free upgrades.

Just my opinion of course!

Here’s a tip, ring the Concierge line and you will get free seat assignments on tickets. I did it this week on 17 tickets I booked in the sale. Secondly, if you are asked to pay excess baggage at Check-In on some extra kilos, instead of paying it at the check-in desk, ask can you pay it at the ticket desk. Once I’ve shown my Conc card there the fees were waived. This worked in Dublin as well as Frankfurt where the ticket desk staff was an agent. Check-in staff have very little discretion but the staff on the ticket desk have. It goes without saying, be polite at all times. Finally, while the 4 upgrade vouchers are great, there has been a number of occasions were all fare difference charges have been waived on ticket changes by the Aer Club staff on the phone. The money this has saved me over the last 12 months has paid for my on board cuppa many times over👍🏼.

ASHFlyer Sep 7, 2018 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by trustno1 (Post 30179840)

Here’s a tip, ring the Concierge line and you will get free seat assignments on tickets. I did it this week on 17 tickets I booked in the sale. Secondly, if you are asked to pay excess baggage at Check-In on some extra kilos, instead of paying it at the check-in desk, ask can you pay it at the ticket desk. Once I’ve shown my Conc card there the fees were waived. This worked in Dublin as well as Frankfurt where the ticket desk staff was an agent. Check-in staff have very little discretion but the staff on the ticket desk have. It goes without saying, be polite at all times. Finally, while the 4 upgrade vouchers are great, there has been a number of occasions were all fare difference charges have been waived on ticket changes by the Aer Club staff on the phone. The money this has saved me over the last 12 months has paid for my on board cuppa many times over👍🏼.

Thanks for the tip!

PS. I am never impolite to people who work at Aer Lingus and very understanding of their rigid rules (once again, being a low fare airline). I've seen quite a few frequent flyers be borderline abusive and would like to clarify that I am certainly not one of them! I'd rather pay 10-50 quid to avoid any form of confrontation.

ASHFlyer Sep 7, 2018 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by mccartje (Post 30178734)
Yes there are more opportunities worldwide with OW and being able to earn TPs with them towards BA but you still need to take the flights to get 1500TPs for BA gold, I meant easier as in it takes less TPs. IF BA business fares are cheaper on a particular route versus plus fares then ok then in that 1 case its easier to gain to status (this kind of flies in the face of EI being a low fares airline :) ). You are not comparing like with like on your business comparison as you are adding in a connection through LHR. 250 TPs EI -vs- 280 TPs BA return is probably a fairer reflection on the greater benefit for flying business BA and making it quicker to make it to Gold but to make up another 449TPs you'll still need to fly a couple of extra J legs in BA. Also min EI TPs is 7.5 and BA is 5 (then 15 vs 10 for next level) and a BA econ flex is still only 20 whereas for a plus fare its 25.

Looks like you've put a lot of thought into this! Certainly understand where you're coming from.

My view on this is due to the following:
*Business fares being frequently cheaper/around same price as Plus fares
*Always being able to earn tier credits irrespective of where you fly (eg. I'm in Doha next week and Beirut thereafter) - if I collated all flying with BA/OW it would make reaching top status easier

Yet I choose Aer Lingus: I love their crew/ground staff (99% of the time), they give you real benefits (ie. upgrades) and their business runs like a well-oiled machine. The little "complaints" I make here and there are just little things I would like to see to make life a bit easier. Also, I'm holding onto the dream that EI will rejoin OW at some point, even as a Connect partner.

trustno1 Sep 8, 2018 12:05 am

Originally Posted by ASHFlyer (Post 30179898)
Thanks for the tip!

PS. I am never impolite to people who work at Aer Lingus and very understanding of their rigid rules (once again, being a low fare airline). I've seen quite a few frequent flyers be borderline abusive and would like to clarify that I am certainly not one of them! I'd rather pay 10-50 quid to avoid any form of confrontation.

Please forgive me. I have re-read what I wrote and I can see how the clumsy why I tried to get my point across might suggest that I was directing my point to you specifically. This was never my intention. It was a general comment directed at the universe in general and not at anyone in particular.

mccartje Sep 8, 2018 3:24 am

Originally Posted by ASHFlyer (Post 30179932)
Also, I'm holding onto the dream that EI will rejoin OW at some point, even as a Connect partner.

I very much think this will happen on the connect level once EI have sorted out joining the transatlantic joint venture with BA,AA,IB,AY (Finnair). If they could get those 4 as sponsors that would cover a lot of OW TP earning potential flying from DUB and beyond. When though who knows, my guess 12-18 months for announcement.