Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Back-pack carry-on restrictions on Aer Lingus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - MM/Lifetime Gold

Taking a short hop from Paris to Dublin in two weeks, daughter and young [8] grand-daughter with me. Originating in Cleveland and will each have a carry-on and back-pack on American to Paris so no issue with carry-on leaving USA. I read on Aer Lingus site, we each get a free small carry-on roller back [21.5"] and the site says also a small [10"] bag like purse or laptop. Question, how strict are they in Europe with bringing on a regular back-pack [not overloaded] in addition to the roller bag as the "free" second carry-on? .
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
It all depends on the size of each bag.
the size that is considered "roller bag" in US is generally quite large, and therefore a second backpack will most likely get picked up on by the gate staff.
Aer lingus regularly have staff manning the boarding gates who have to gate check the roller bags as they simply wont fit in the overhead lockers.
If both bags are reasonably small i see no issue really. One will go in the overhead and the other will go under the seat in front.
If the flight is relatively quiet you wont face any problem. I would advise paying the small additional charge for priority boarding to avoid an issue if the overhead lockers begin to fill up
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum
On my last flight (last Weekend - TXL-DUB), a positioning flight for a MR, I had one backpack and a very small handbag for passport and phone. There were other passengers without priority boarding who brought along one cabin trolley and one large backpack plus one large paper bag full of stuff and it was no problem. Same on the way back.
But as modularmayhem said before, I would advise to book prio boarding as well.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:15 am

Certainly go for the Priority Boarding. They seem more bothered about these things in out stations but that is no guarantee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.