Concierge free upgrade downgrade

Old Aug 14, 18, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Concierge free upgrade downgrade

I used my 4 free transalantic upgrades on flights for my parents to Boston.

Applied several weeks ago and the upgrades were granted last week and new business class tickets issued last week.

Parents just received a call to say that they were being downgraded.

Is this normal?
I fully accept that you might not be granted an upgrade but having one granted and then taken away the night before the flight seems pretty poor customer service.
Old Aug 14, 18, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IROPs? Was there an aircraft change or some cancelled/delayed flight that required paid business class passengers to be rebooked onto the flight?
Old Aug 14, 18, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Not that I aware of or being toldvat this stage.

Just called Aerclub concierge and they have no record of the downgrade bring requested yet
Old Aug 14, 18, 3:10 pm

Programs: Aerclub - Concierge, BA - Silver. Avis - Presidents Club
Something to do with this https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...blin-1.3596476 maybe causing some aircraft/passenger juggling?
Old Aug 14, 18, 3:13 pm

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
In the last few days EI have hired in an Omni Air Boeing 777 which has operated to BOS as well as ORD. It look like it is an all economy aircraft with no business class seats. This could explain it.

I've been using Gold Circle Elite / Concierge upgrades since about 2009 and never been downgraded. In fact I am using them this Friday to IAD. Fingers crossed nothing goes awry. I see EI-LAX returned to DUB this afternoon having made it as far as Greenland.
Old Aug 14, 18, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Just been told that they had to switch to a smaller plans with less business class seats.

Those who paid full fair get priority so probably fair enough
Old Aug 14, 18, 3:30 pm

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
Would appear then to be a shift to an Airbus 330-200 instead of an Airbus 330-300. Unlucky for your folks. Are they moved for the return also?
Old Aug 15, 18, 10:14 am

Programs: Aerclub, United
My wife was on EI 123 on monday and was using one of my upgrades - however when she got there they had put in that piece of junk Omni Air 777 and she (and others) were all downgraded. AerClub Concierge line did confirm that my upgrade was returned to my account. I can only assume that something similar happened with your family - i.e change of equipment and less business seats.

Edit: - others got there before me - changed to a 330-200 is appears.

Search this Thread