Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus self-connecting policy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Question Aer Lingus self-connecting policy?

What is Aer Lingus policy about self-connection (two Aer Lingus flights on two separate tickets)? Will they check bags through to final destination? Will they rebook in case of a misconnect?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, EI Platinum
Yes they will check bags through to your final destination. Also, the Aer Lingus ground staff at the Dublin transfer desks are very reasonable and if your flight was delayed causing you to miss your connection they'll reorganise it (even if its two separate tickets).

I purchased two separate tickets for JFK-DUB-LHR, there was an 11 hour gap between my DUB and LHR flight so they moved me to the next available flight for free and without hesitating (albeit I travelled in Business and was Gold Circle).
emilio911 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ASHFlyer
Yes they will check bags through to your final destination. Also, the Aer Lingus ground staff at the Dublin transfer desks are very reasonable and if your flight was delayed causing you to miss your connection they'll reorganise it (even if its two separate tickets).

I purchased two separate tickets for JFK-DUB-LHR, there was an 11 hour gap between my DUB and LHR flight so they moved me to the next available flight for free and without hesitating (albeit I travelled in Business and was Gold Circle).
I'm curious if they are as accommodating for Y class travelers.
ASHFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Beware of BA metal connections

EI codeshare on BA metal arrives in Terminal 1 rather than Terminal 2, and you are not allowed to connect via Terminal 2 Flight Connections; this means that you have to clear immigration as if entering Ireland, and there's no priority line for flight connections at T1 immigration. So self-connection there as I discovered is dubious.
emilio911 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by emilio911
I'm curious if they are as accommodating for Y class travelers.
Mixed reports on this . Dont take it as a given. It can go either way
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Mixed reports on this . Dont take it as a given. It can go either way
If you arrive late because your flight was delayed they would definitely accomodate you as it was their fault. However, coming from BA or foreign metal might be a different story altogether.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Do they allow us to access the Business Class lounge at DUB if arriving in Business but departing in Economy on separate tickets?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Do they allow us to access the Business Class lounge at DUB if arriving in Business but departing in Economy on separate tickets?
Yes, I’ve done this many times, just show your Business ticket and your onward ticket. They wouldn’t be able to tell the difference whether you’re a connecting passenger or not. :-)
Jimgotkp likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold

Yes, I’ve done this many times, just show your Business ticket and your onward ticket. They wouldn’t be able to tell the difference whether you’re a connecting passenger or not. :-)
They can as the ticket numbers won't match but they won't care...

They need the boarding card from the US/CA to get access, if you have lost that and are traveling on a single ticket they can look it up easily
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: British Airways Gold

Surely they can see your itinerary when they scan your boarding pass
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
They don't scan the Business boarding card, its a visual check and its noted by hand
The boarding card to onward is scanned, the barcode contains the current flight only and thats what they see

If they want to figure out more its a quick query on Astral, most likely by flight number and surname, though I believe astral can now scan a barcode and load the PNR itself (the I'm not a boarding card bar code in the email confirmation is just the PNR and can be scanned to speed check in or other inquiries though rarely used)

Just to note Dublin Airport doesn't allow 'Self Connecting' but its more like if you hold a EI boarding card no one cares, if you hold a Ryanair one you will be ejected
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Worst case I can always access the other lounge using my PP card.

Does anyone know if the Arrivals Lounge is open? They don't seem to list the hours of that lounge so I'm not sure if I would be able to use it for a quick shower before heading into the city. It seems like a better use of time to grab a bus into the city for a five-hour layover and enjoy a few pints with some fish and chips than sit at the airport.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
better chance reward/reward or pay/reward ?

Originally Posted by emilio911
What is Aer Lingus policy about self-connection (two Aer Lingus flights on two separate tickets)? Will they check bags through to final destination? Will they rebook in case of a misconnect?
i've got an ex-DUB (to SFO) reward flight booked ... in the hope of getting my bag checked through from a connecting flight (from LHR), any views as to whether i would be better arriving into DUB on a paid ticket or another reward ticket ?

i will of course book EI metal for the LHR-DUB flight.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
i've got an ex-DUB (to SFO) reward flight booked ... in the hope of getting my bag checked through from a connecting flight (from LHR), any views as to whether i would be better arriving into DUB on a paid ticket or another reward ticket ?

i will of course book EI metal for the LHR-DUB flight.
I personally don't see how it will make any difference. They will both be on different PNRs.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Paid vs reward won't make a difference at all.

You certainly won't get your bag through-checked if you take a BA LHR-DUB flight - not a chance. I'm not sure what EI's policy is, but you might as well take an EI flight to avoid a terminal hassle at DUB, a possibility (?) of getting your bag checked through, and perhaps more flexibility in case something goes wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.