Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus self-connecting policy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
If its back to back EI metal then policy is to through check the bags
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
i've got an ex-DUB (to SFO) reward flight booked ... in the hope of getting my bag checked through from a connecting flight (from LHR), any views as to whether i would be better arriving into DUB on a paid ticket or another reward ticket ?

i will of course book EI metal for the LHR-DUB flight.
i ended up with a paid LHR-DUB ticket and (previously booked) reward DUB-SFO ticket ... and they checked my bag through without a question.

the fact that the LHR-DUB flight was cancelled, and my connection time dropped to 75 mins is a different matter ... but at least i made the DUB-SFO flight ... just !
emilio911 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: Oneworld, Aerclub, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by lizthegrey
EI codeshare on BA metal arrives in Terminal 1 rather than Terminal 2, and you are not allowed to connect via Terminal 2 Flight Connections; this means that you have to clear immigration as if entering Ireland, and there's no priority line for flight connections at T1 immigration. So self-connection there as I discovered is dubious.
Incorrect. You can connect no problem via T1 to flight connections in T2. Dublin Airport Terminals are physically connected and about 10 min walk from T1 to T2 flight connections. Follow the flight connection signs.

The only reason for going out is that you did not check your baggage through. e.g. Ryanair (you should be able to check through using BA if an EI flight)

It's not a connection if you clear immigration! It's a brand new flight.

FYI some EI flights arrive in T1 though they make you go to Passport Control in T2.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Micosoft
FYI some EI flights arrive in T1 though they make you go to Passport Control in T2.
I arrived into the old terminal on an EI metal flight from LHR last month - but there were so many connecting passengers that they had a bus waiting to take us to T2 flight connections. We had to wait for everybody to get off the arriving plane - so I’m not sure we saved that much time. But at least it meant we were guaranteed to get through flight connections (rather than having to go landside).
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Going to the T2 connections avoid the security check thus saving considerable time and then they can all be sent to do preclearance directly as its beneath the new connection centre
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:22 am

Self Connecting two Aer Lingus flights

i ended up with a paid LHR-DUB ticket and (previously booked) reward DUB-SFO ticket ... and they checked my bag through without a question.

the fact that the LHR-DUB flight was cancelled, and my connection time dropped to 75 mins is a different matter ... but at least i made the DUB-SFO flight ... just !
I am doing simular flights but in reverse. Aer Lingus ORD-DUB, then Aer Lingus DUB-LCY. First flight was booked as reward flight and added Dublin to London later. Wondering if I can use flight connections, even though it says self connecting passengers can not. We could check our bags through, if possible or just carry them on, as we travel with just one bag each. Do you go through some sort of passport control when using flight connections? I am wondering how that works, since we are entering the UK via Dublin.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by ang0424
I am doing simular flights but in reverse. Aer Lingus ORD-DUB, then Aer Lingus DUB-LCY. First flight was booked as reward flight and added Dublin to London later. Wondering if I can use flight connections, even though it says self connecting passengers can not. We could check our bags through, if possible or just carry them on, as we travel with just one bag each. Do you go through some sort of passport control when using flight connections? I am wondering how that works, since we are entering the UK via Dublin.
Yes you'll go through a passport check when connecting, as landing in UK from DUB can happen without going through a formal passport check. DUB-LCY flights are from T1 so you'll have a ~10 min walk but you can do this airside after connections.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:06 am

You will go through passport control

Bags should not be a problem, provided you have a checked allowance for the next leg.

ORD should be able to issue the boarding card for the onward leg, if not they can do it at the transfer desk in Dublin

When your bag is checked through to destination you are not 'self connecting' as you can if requested show the baggage check receipt showing both legs

The LCY jet is a regional jet so don't go crazy on the carry on size
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by mccartje
Yes you'll go through a passport check when connecting, as landing in UK from DUB can happen without going through a formal passport check. DUB-LCY flights are from T1 so you'll have a ~10 min walk but you can do this airside after connections.
Thank You! My understanding is that the Aer Lingus (City Jet) flights to LCY depart from T2, at least right now they are but I am familiar with DUB airport, just have never connected through it. Of course after changing terminals the walk can be really long - I remember a sign that showed we had a 20 minute to a Ryan Air flight we were taking.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by ROKNA
You will go through passport control

Bags should not be a problem, provided you have a checked allowance for the next leg.

ORD should be able to issue the boarding card for the onward leg, if not they can do it at the transfer desk in Dublin

When your bag is checked through to destination you are not 'self connecting' as you can if requested show the baggage check receipt showing both legs

The LCY jet is a regional jet so don't go crazy on the carry on size
Thank you! We travel light, normally just a European size carry on but if it makes it easier to connect in Dublin (such as you saying I can show the baggage check receipt) then we will check them.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by mccartje
Oh, I forgot to say, the reason I wondered in the first place is that I know when I have traveled from Ireland to the UK, we didn't have to go through passport check, at least I don't remember doing it. I remember when we flew from Edinburgh to Dublin we didn't have to do anything except the normal security line - no passport control at all.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 2:08 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
I’m arriving SEA-DUB in EI business and connecting onward DUB-CDG in AF business. Separate tickets. Will I have access to EI Lounge in T2? I prefer it to the other lounge options.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by bennytma
I’m arriving SEA-DUB in EI business and connecting onward DUB-CDG in AF business. Separate tickets. Will I have access to EI Lounge in T2? I prefer it to the other lounge options.
You will have to exit via passport control, collect bags, clear customs and walk to to T1 and recheck. Self connection is not permitted so you will likely be turned back at the connection facility if hand baggage only

You have access to the EI arrivals lounge in T2 after passport control but not the departure lounge

This assumes the lounges reopen and DUB-SEA resumes
Old Apr 30, 2021, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by ROKNA
You will have to exit via passport control, collect bags, clear customs and walk to to T1 and recheck. Self connection is not permitted so you will likely be turned back at the connection facility if hand baggage only

You have access to the EI arrivals lounge in T2 after passport control but not the departure lounge

This assumes the lounges reopen and DUB-SEA resumes
I did LHR-DUB-SFO a couple of years ago on separate tickets, and they checked my bags through without batting an eyelid.

When did this change ?
Old May 1, 2021, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I did LHR-DUB-SFO a couple of years ago on separate tickets, and they checked my bags through without batting an eyelid.

When did this change ?
Read again; the question is about self connecting from an Aer Lingus to an Air France ticket.
fartoomanyusers likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.