FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aer Lingus | AerClub (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub-718/)
-   -   Joining AerClub with previous Avios.com account (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub/1920196-joining-aerclub-previous-avios-com-account.html)

fruitcage Jul 16, 2018 11:19 am

Joining AerClub with previous Avios.com account

I have attempted to protect my Avios.com account from imminent closure by opening an Aerclub account and giving my Avios.com login when requested. It all appears to have worked and I now can log in to my Aerclub account where my membership number is the same as my old Avios.com number. HOWEVER, when I log in to Avios.com, there is no mention of “You are a member of Aerclub” under My Account, which I understand should happen. Has the linking worked correctly, and is my account now protected from closure? I am also suspicious because, even after logging in to Avios.com with what is now my AerClub number, there are still a lot of banners about accounts being closed and Avios transferred to BAEC.

Thanks in advance for any hints.

irishguy28 Jul 16, 2018 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by fruitcage (Post 29979710)
I have attempted to protect my Avios.com account from imminent closure by opening an Aerclub account and giving my Avios.com login when requested..

Why would this prevent your Avios.com from "imminent closure"?

Aerclub and Avios are basically the same thing. You didn't "join" Aerclub; you merely logged in there- which is ultimately a different entryway to Avios.com - using your existing Avios.com account. As any existing Avios.com member could also do.

fruitcage Jul 16, 2018 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 29980230)
Why would this prevent your Avios.com from "imminent closure"?

All stand-alone Avios.com accounts are being closed and the Avios transferred to BA, but I understand that those accounts linked to AerClub or Vueling’s FF scheme are being spared and kept open. What I am not sure about is whether I have adequately linked my Avios.com account to AerClub.

irishguy28 Jul 16, 2018 2:18 pm

Ah...I wasn't aware of this.

Can you not just move your Avios to BA? I see no benefit whatsoever of trying to keep your Avios out of a BAEC account, which is where they are most useful.

fruitcage Jul 17, 2018 7:20 am

Thanks for trying to help but I am not trying to keep the Avios out of the BAEC account. I am simply trying to keep the Avios.com account open. There are from time to time various opportunities to collect or redeem Avios which are different between BAEC, Iberia plus and Avios.com and the three platforms have slightly different rules and restrictions, so the ability to use all three and to transfer Avios between them can be very handy.

irishguy28 Jul 17, 2018 9:18 am

Given that "standalone" accounts are being closed - meaning that effectively only "Aerclub" and "Vueling" remain - you can be sure that there will NOT be any Avios specific offers any more - as that programme will by then be dead.

fruitcage Jul 17, 2018 10:15 am

...you can be sure that there will NOT be any Avios specific offers any more...
Quite possible- but as of today, I am registered for a number of things which generate Avios directly into my Avios.com account, and which cannot be easily re-linked to BA (either because promotions have closed, because that's what the rules say or because of various web site glitches and difficulties). Also very important is the fact that using Avios.com as an intermediary makes it possible to transfer Avios from Iberia plus to BAEC if you have a BAEC household account.

For these reasons, plus the small possibility of any future opportunities or benefits that I'm not yet aware of, I would like to keep my Avios.com account open and would appreciate any assistance from anyone who can help me achieve that via AerClub, as described in my original post. Thank you.