Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Best Option for Upgrading to Business class

Old Jul 13, 18, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Hi, so I plan to head to California next summer. Iíve been looking at the Aer Lingus Business Class and donít fancy paying £3000+.

I fly back and forth between NI and London area (stansted) over the year.

Iíve been looking into Aerclub and have the following problems:
- Iíve been told that Aerclub resets points in December, so therefore, I wouldnít be able to suceed in moving up tiers?
- Iíve been told that upgrading to SFO is quite difficult?

LHR is quite a way from my uni but iíd be prepared to do it?

What is the best way for me to upgrade to Business Class? Is it best to use Avios or Aerclub?

Any other way to earn Avios other than flying Aer Lingus?
Old Jul 14, 18, 2:26 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Silver
You can do it for about 1700 euro if you manage to bag the fare on DUB SFO.I did DUB-SFO, SEA-ORD-DUB last year for 997, DUB SFO in J rest in Y and used the platinum upgrade to get J ORD-DUB.

Avios can be earned in many ways, BA for a start plus a lot of UK businesses, easy merge these together
Old Jul 14, 18, 10:37 am
Original Poster

I would like to find a way to get it to around £1200.
Old Jul 14, 18, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Owen,

Avios can be earned on EI, Vueling (and via BA or IB any one world airline). Avis is the car hire partner and there are hotel partners too. You can earn at the Avios eStore, but a good start would would be an Avios earning credit card. Sounds like you have a U.K. address so the BA AMEX or AMEX Gold/Platinum would be good starts. (Iím happy to refer - both the referrer and referee get additional Avios/Amex MR points).

My AerClub resets in November - I think itís a rolling calendar year. But remember that most fares only earn 7.5 tier credits, plus fares earn 15, but regularly fail to post. Luckily LHR is one of the best outstations for posting properly. Even so climbing the status ladder can be tiresome.

Avios availability to SFO can be tough, but you would also have BA and IB options. Connections from BHD (and other U.K. airports) are ďfreeĒ for long-haul connections on BA.
Old Jul 14, 18, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Right so what is the easiest way to do this upgrade?

Search this Thread