Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

What happened to priority boarding?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Hi all, just wondering has anyone had any issues with priority boarding? Dublin and London flights are fine, but I fly weekly, mostly from Milan and Zurich. Particulalry in Milan, they generally just open up boarding as a single line with no mention of priority boarding. I can then either push up to the front and seem like a jerk, or wait at the end of the line and then argue with the ground staff when they try to take my bag. I'm platinum level, due to hit concierge in next few weeks, and generally also book plus tickets, so I lose out on the double. I've submitted 4 comments on Are Lingus website and quoted the previous complaint number each time but no response. The Aer Club helpdesk said they'd escalate it to the Aer Club manager and there should always be priority boarding but this was a month ago. It frustrates me because every other airline from Ryanair to Aeroflot to BA and beyond can manage to do priority boarding. For those who specifically pay extra for priority boarding, have you raised this with Are Lingus? It's falling on deaf ears as far as I'm concerned. I've actually played around with switching to BA (arrive earlier in Dublin despite 2 flights also) so might make this more permanent if Aer Lingus can't provide the service they promise. Perhaps I'm being too picky but when you fly weekly it's little things that cam make it easier/tougher.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Linate or Malpensa? Came through Malpensa once and they did the priority boarding thing. Did it in Berlin in February too and have never had a problem in London. But it wouldn't surprise me with the Italians. They're very laid back. Can see your point alright. If you've paid for it or earned it you should get it.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EI Platinum
One thing I've found very good with Aer Lingus in recent years is their priority boarding, particularly because people pay the extra few quid for it (you can't do that with BA, AF etc unless you fly premium or have status).

Maybe if people start requesting refunds if purchased priority boarding as a separate add-on to their booking - that'll get their attention, they can't stand losing money!
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:20 am

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
Priority boarding ex FRA non existent for the last few months. 99% of the time we end up on buses anyway so EI are taking the mickey by charging people for it. I think you would have more luck picking six winning numbers in the Euromillions than getting a refund of the priority boarding fee from EI.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:58 am

I think most of their handling partners just don't give a .... really. When I was back and forth to Rome FCO it used to be very messy. A lot of times no priority or a half heated attempt at it. My favorite was when they announced priority using the Alitalia or Skyteam designations.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Frankfurt forget about as its nearly always a bus, same for Vienna. Then it becomes a game of knowing which door on the bus will be on the correct side nearest the steps..
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
New boarding procedure on long haul?

There was a change to the priority boarding procedure on recent long haul (US) departure from Dublin.

The priority lane was split in two - one for Business and one for AerClub elites in ecomomy. Business was called after the usual young kids/those needing assistance and seemed to be enforced. AerClub elites in Y called next before general Y.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:31 pm

This is how Priority Boarding should work on EI:

Short-Haul
PRIORITY GROUPS
Group 1 - Concierge & Advantage Ticket Holders
Group 2 - Platinum & Plus Ticket Holders
Group 3 - Silver & Those who purchased seats upfront
NON-PRIORITY GROUPS
Group 4 - Expensive Saver Tickets
Group 5 - Cheap Saver Tickets

Long-Haul
PRIORITY
Group 1 - Concierge & Business Class
Group 2 - Platinum & Economy Flex
NON-PRIORTIY
Group 4 - Smart Fare
Group 5 - Saver Fare
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ASHFlyer
This is how Priority Boarding should work on EI:

Short-Haul
PRIORITY GROUPS
Group 1 - Concierge & Advantage Ticket Holders
Group 2 - Platinum & Plus Ticket Holders
NON-PRIORITY GROUPS
Group 4 - Expensive Saver Tickets
Group 5 - Cheap Saver Tickets

Long-Haul
PRIORITY
Group 1 - Concierge & Business Class
Group 2 - Platinum & Economy Flex
NON-PRIORTIY
Group 4 - Smart Fare
Group 5 - Saver Fare
Interesting - looks analogous to BA.

Not sure I have ever heard the Group numbers being used during the boarding process.
ASHFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
EI stopped using boarding groups about 2 years ago, its now just status/priority and the rest. Apparently its gets people onboard faster than using groups

The US model is status and then an inverted triangle so they try to fill window seats then middle and aisle from the back to minimize isle congestion, easy get group 3 on UA with no status on a cheap ticket if you know how the computer thinks
ASHFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:47 am

Interesting update when I flew with Aer Lingus DUB-LHR yesterday, they've divided Priority boarding into "AerClub Priority" and those who have a Plus/Advantage/Priority written on their ticket.

AerClub was boarded first in tandem then with the other priority lane.

Interesting how these little changes are making a big difference.
JDIRL and RMDrive like this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: EI Aer Club Platinum; AF/KLM Flying Blue; IHG Rewards Platinum Elite; Hilton Honors Silver.
I just noticed in one of those "beofre you fly" emails that if you have purchased priority boarding you have to check-in online to avail of it? What's the rationale behind that? Not that it affects me anyway...
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by mb48
I just noticed in one of those "beofre you fly" emails that if you have purchased priority boarding you have to check-in online to avail of it? What's the rationale behind that? Not that it affects me anyway...
Is it that if printed at the airport it won't say 'Priority' on it?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: EI Aer Club Platinum; AF/KLM Flying Blue; IHG Rewards Platinum Elite; Hilton Honors Silver.
I have definitely seen "priority" written on plus fare boarding cards printed at the Aer Club check-in.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:08 pm

Only Astral enabled airports (IE/UK/NL/US/CA) will print boarding cards with "Priority" on them, in elsewhere you have to check in online or use to the app

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.