FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aer Lingus | AerClub (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub-718/)
-   -   food quality in J, and blanket safety (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub/1917976-food-quality-j-blanket-safety.html)

SeeBuyFly Jul 3, 2018 2:41 pm

food quality in J, and blanket safety

I am not a regular on the EI forum, so my apologies if all this is familiar territory.

We flew in EI J, EDI-DUB-ORD on an UA award (outbound was on UA to EDI). Everything was good, on-time flights and efficient friendly staff, except for the food on DUB-ORD, which was disgusting. The beef was overcooked to where it was the color of liver, all the way through. The cod tasted like it had been preserved with chemicals, somewhat like it were bacalao rather than fresh cod. Before that, the appetizers were stale and dry. Is this normal?

Also, the cabin was cool but we were not allowed to use blankets during takeoff and landing, "for our safety". I've not been on any other airline that does that. EI's partner BA doesn't do that. What's special about safety on EI?

ROKNA Jul 3, 2018 3:35 pm

I have found the food ex DUB to be excellent, that said I do generally get my first choice due status

EI answers to the IAA not the CAA like BA, so there are different rules, there is a no obstruction rule at landing/takeoff, no laptops, no large headphones, no blankets etc as well as the dimmed cabin lights. This is standard for EI for all the years I have flown with them 7+, I've been shocked at the very relaxed approach I've seen on UA and B6, bags under seats at exit rows and so on

DELLAS Jul 3, 2018 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 29934613)
I am not a regular on the EI forum, so my apologies if all this is familiar territory.

We flew in EI J, EDI-DUB-ORD on an UA award (outbound was on UA to EDI). Everything was good, on-time flights and efficient friendly staff, except for the food on DUB-ORD, which was disgusting. The beef was overcooked to where it was the color of liver, all the way through. The cod tasted like it had been preserved with chemicals, somewhat like it were bacalao rather than fresh cod. Before that, the appetizers were stale and dry. Is this normal?

Also, the cabin was cool but we were not allowed to use blankets during takeoff and landing, "for our safety". I've not been on any other airline that does that. EI's partner BA doesn't do that. What's special about safety on EI?

A friend of mine commutes weekly on EI TATL J says the food is 70% Good 30% Bad so obviously could be improved on.

EI are not alone in this as other airlines do have the same policy. If you think about it during an emergency where you quickly had to leave the aircraft seconds after landing people could get caught up on or trip on these blankets. So the rule is a sensible one.

modularmayhem Jul 4, 2018 12:36 pm

I would agree with the 70/30 split on good Vs bad food on EI. It can be hit and miss at times. Mostly ive found it to be perfectly acceptable, but certainly on occasion i have had horrible meals, and the crew are embarrased serving it.
They do the simple things well, i remember a particularly good fish pie. And the desserts are always excellent.

mrdisco Jul 4, 2018 12:55 pm

How often does the J menu change?