Last Minute EI Award Availability

Old Jul 3, 18, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Last Minute EI Award Availability

I am wondering how EI is with releasing last minute award availability, I have a flight I am wanting to take in 3 days that has availability down to the U bucket, when (if at all) could I expect them to release it? This is a intra Europe flight so no business class so I am unsure why they are showing J availablity.

Currently showing Y4 J4 C4 I4 D4 P4 U4 B0 H0 G0 K0 M0 V0 F0 N0 L0 E0 X0 Q0 S0 O0 R0 W0 T0 Z0 A0
Old Jul 3, 18, 10:33 am

Programs: Aer Lingus
I don't know if this is relevant but the AGP flight has the A330 and business class seats are made available.

Maybe a moot point...
Old Jul 3, 18, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ferg01 View Post
I don't know if this is relevant but the AGP flight has the A330 and business class seats are made available.

Maybe a moot point...
it is an intra-europe A320
Old Jul 3, 18, 2:09 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Silver
Expert flyer isn't really going to help here

If you can provide the date, flight number I can check if an EI member can get a seat but at this late stage and summer its unlikely
Old Jul 3, 18, 3:21 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Ive found that they do not release seats closer to the date of travel. There seems to be a set number of seats available on every flight and when theyre gone theyre gone. I have never seen last minute availability be added to a flight closer to departure
Old Jul 4, 18, 7:25 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Silver, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by modularmayhem View Post
Ive found that they do not release seats closer to the date of travel. There seems to be a set number of seats available on every flight and when theyre gone theyre gone. I have never seen last minute availability be added to a flight closer to departure
This is my experience also.
Old Jul 29, 19, 8:30 pm

I'm just wondering if this is still people's experience. I've got a family of 4 with two of us booked in B going SEA-DUB this Friday and the other two on Sunday. EI shows 5 seats still available for sale on Friday.

We're all flying together from PDX to SEA with the two booked for Sunday planning to spend the weekend there. But since we'll all be at the airport if they had two open seats at departure time they'd gladly go freeing up the seats on Sunday. (which shows very few revenue seats left for sale).

You'd think they'd open up the seats or at least be happy to let stand by to go but I'm hearing that's not the case. True?
Old Jul 30, 19, 3:37 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sbedelman View Post
You'd think they'd open up the seats or at least be happy to let stand by to go but I'm hearing that's not the case. True?
Logic doesnt seem to come into it here unfortunately. EI do not appear to release unsold seats closer to the departure date.

In relation to your request about changing from sunday to friday at the airport, my experience is that the Avios tickets are quite difficult for EI ticketing staff to deal with, and this may not be an easy change for them to make. For example i had a DUB-LHR avios ticket which they couldnt change at the airport ticket counter in dublin, and i had to call Avios to make the change
Old Jul 30, 19, 3:54 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Silver
Avios tickets are travel agency tickets so EI has very little control over the ticket itself
Old Jul 30, 19, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by ROKNA View Post
Avios tickets are travel agency tickets so EI has very little control over the ticket itself
Aer Lingus didn't even recognise the baggage allowance on an Aer Club-issued ticket I flew recently from DUB; I knew I'd have to speak to a check-in agent, but the guy policing the lines at DUB first sent me to the automated check in; I finally did manage to queue up and get an agent to manually override the charge that the check-in kiosks wanted to charge me.

They really have little to no control over the FFP; it's all in the hands of Avios now.
Old Jul 30, 19, 8:31 am

I've searched around and can't quite find the answer to this but it must be a common situation so I'll ask it here: if I fly Aer Lingus transatlantic business class to Dublin then fly either a) Aer Lingus economy or b) BA economy to London the same day, do I get departure lounge access at Dublin? And does it make a difference if these are ticketed separately?
Old Jul 30, 19, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by _nate View Post
I've searched around and can't quite find the answer to this but it must be a common situation so I'll ask it here: if I fly Aer Lingus transatlantic business class to Dublin then fly either a) Aer Lingus economy or b) BA economy to London the same day, do I get departure lounge access at Dublin? And does it make a difference if these are ticketed separately?
BA uses the DAA lounge at Dublin, so you won't get lounge access if you are travelling onwards with BA in Economy class.

If your onward flight is on EI, and you show the business class boarding pass for the EI flight you just arrived on, together with your onward EI boarding pass, you will have access if travelling on the same ticket. You would almost certainly be granted lounge access too if travelling on a separate ticket, but I am not sure if that is an official/published perk, so can't guarantee that it would be granted. (Note that there's a teeny tiny arrivals lounge by Luggage Belt 6 in arrivals: https://www.aerlingus.com/experience...unge-in-style/)
Old Jul 30, 19, 9:15 am

Thanks. The reason I mentioned BA at all is that they're a "partner airline" and had EI been a oneworld member then this might have worked, but they aren't, so it seems not. (Annoyingly, avios availability is plentiful on BA but not EI for the London connection that day.)
Old Jul 30, 19, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. The reason I mentioned BA at all is that they're a "partner airline" and had EI been a oneworld member then this might have worked, but they aren't, so it seems not. (Annoyingly, avios availability is plentiful on BA but not EI for the London connection that day.)
Have you checked the cash fares for DUB-LHR?

it often makes more sense to pay for a ticket on this route than to redeem Avios, particularly on Aer Lingus (which doesn't have the Reward Flight Savers you can get on BA - though accessing RFS redemptions requires you to have earned Avios into your BAEC account in the preceding 12 months)

Or, if you have Avios a-plenty, why not splurge on a biz class redemption on BA? Lounge access included! There's also a "Cash and Avios" option on Aer Lingus flights, but I have never looked at it to see if it is a sensible use of Avios.
Old Jul 30, 19, 9:45 am

Programs: Aerclub - Concierge, BA - Silver. Avis - Presidents Club
(Annoyingly, avios availability is plentiful on BA but not EI for the London connection that day.)
Are you looking on BAEC or avios.com for availability? EI flights don't readily show up on the BA system and you need to call BAEC to book them. But you can check availability on avios.com for EI

Search this Thread