Angled Flat Seats on IAD-DUB

Old May 27, 2018, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Angled Flat Seats on IAD-DUB

Booked my aunt on EI118 from Washington Dulles to Dublin last night. The equipment was listed as an A330-200 and I was able to reserve her a throne seat (3K) at booking. When she got to the airport last night, they told her there was an equipment change to a "larger aircraft with 2-2-2 configuration" and reassigned her seat 3C, an aisle seat.

Naturally, she called me to inquire. I pulled up the SeatGuru maps for all Aer Lingus wide-bodies and couldn't find one plane type with a 2-2-2 business class configuration nor could I find one with a seat "3C." She sent me a few pictures once she got on board and I immediately recognized brown carpets and drapes that looked like an old Qatar aircraft rather than an Aer Lingus one:

Upon further investigation, it appears that EI118 is consistently being serviced by EI-GEY, an Airbus A330-200 that Aer Lingus has leased from Qatar. They appear to have reupholstered (or slipcovered?) the seats but the rest of the cabin is straight out of the Qatar playbook. Oddly enough, this aircraft had only 3 rows of business class in a 2-2-2 configuration, whereas everything listed on SeatGuru for Qatar has 4. I haven't gotten confirmation from her yet, but I believe (based on the apparent lack of footwells) that this is an angled flat product rather than lie flat.

Just a heads up for anyone booked on that flight (or the return) from Dulles. It seems to be servicing that route pretty consistently now and it's a major downgrade from the usual equipment. No single seats in business class, and from what I gather, no lie flat beds.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
It’s odd that these seats are arranged in 4 rows in QR Service. I wonder if EI have removed a row and the seats now fold completely flat?
Old May 27, 2018, 6:39 pm

Elsewhere on the internet says "..the Qatar leased A330 will be EI-GEY and be in full EI colours...cabin won't be put to EI spec till next C check Nxt year"

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
It’s odd that these seats are arranged in 4 rows in QR Service. I wonder if EI have removed a row and the seats now fold completely flat?
Old May 28, 2018, 4:57 am

I have flown this layout on QR before and I thought the seats were fully flat, they may have a slight angle, but were more or less flat. Could be a different seat than the one I experienced however.

Either way, I would agree these are not as good as current EI J seats.
irishguy28, DELLAS and nancypants like this.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
EI-GEY

The 4th row of business class is behind the middle galley area.
irishguy28 and ASHFlyer like this.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by jah718
I have flown this layout on QR before and I thought the seats were fully flat, they may have a slight angle, but were more or less flat. Could be a different seat than the one I experienced however.

Either way, I would agree these are not as good as current EI J seats.
Certainly an inferior product.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: Aer Lingus, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Certainly an inferior product.
I flew this route and aircraft yesterday in economy. Actually quite similar to the normal Aer lingus economy product. Same IFE. USB points built into IFE screen. Seat pitch seemed much the same. And seating layout was the same as had been shown on website at the time of booking.

So in economy, no issue. Don’t know about business of course.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:17 am

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
Looks like the old layout...but that was fine. The main thing is the crew which are usually very good. I've used my Concierge upgrades for this trip and have to say I am quite looking forward to it. IAD is a great destination mid summer as the politicians have left for their holidays and the 4 and 5 star hotels are cheaper than what you would pay in Dublin. Bit hot though...but you cant have everything.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:06 pm

is IAD-DUB / DUB-IAD still flying this? i was considering booking EI 119 for next May (2019) in J, but won't waste the miles for angled-flat seats.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Still flying but likely to be upgraded but we don't know when the C check is due to fit the new business class
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: Aer Lingus, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by ROKNA
Still flying but likely to be upgraded but we don't know when the C check is due to fit the new business class
The business class seats are fully flat despite the title of this post. However be aware that the overhead bins are much smaller than usual - they won’t take a normal size cabin bag.

Also the last row of business is separate from the others and right beside the galley. It should be avoided.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:28 am

Did this flight get upgauged? The seat map for my flight in May changed to the standard EI A330 seat map.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
C check would occur before Summer, most likely in Feb or March, but you never know, GEY has one thing going for it, rock solid reliability.

Currently 3 are undergoing checks
DUO (Bordeaux)
GAJ (Dubai)
EWR (Bordeaux)

EDY should be back flying tomorrow after getting the new livery
MCIUnitedGuy likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:57 pm

EI-GEY seems to have been moved to JFK/YYZ/MIA... EI-LBS and EI-LBT have replaced it
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:25 pm
Suspended

EI-GEY flew to Bordeaux today.
I'm guessing it's time for the C-check, and hopefully the seat refit as well?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.