Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry on size Aer Lingus

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Carry on size Aer Lingus

Flying Aer Lingus from Seattle to Dublin and their carry-on length at 21.5 inches is 1 inch shorter than most of the carry-on bags I see on the shelf. How strict are they?
Old May 4, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Originally Posted by Photoscubaguy
Flying Aer Lingus from Seattle to Dublin and their carry-on length at 21.5 inches is 1 inch shorter than most of the carry-on bags I see on the shelf. How strict are they?
Not strict at all. Won't be an issue.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by alserire
Not strict at all. Won't be an issue.
+1

Certainly on long haul you will not be challenged by EI staff.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: UA - MM/Lifetime Gold
i have a similar question about the 21.5 inch bag, we are flying from Paris to Dublin and will each have a small bag [22"ish] and a back pack, will we have an issue getting the bags and backpacks on board without hassle or charge? we depart Dublin for US on United so no issue onward. I'm a United gold if that matters?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Your status won't have any impact. (even if you had status with EI, it wouldn't have an impact)

It is the second bag each that is more likely to attract attention, than the extra half-inch on your bag. The second bag - which is actually a "small personal item" - is intended to be a small handbag (or "purse" in American), not a backpack.

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-inf...cabin-baggage/

If at all possible, you should stuff your "backpacks" into your carry-on luggage.

You can never fully discount that some eager/motivated/jobsworth employee won't pull you up; but that's a risk you run everywhere. Though you are also just as likely to encounter distinterested staff, particularly at outstations.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Life, EI Concierge, BA Silver
Need to watch Paris staff at check-in (outsourced - not EI) are always trying to get all rollaboards checked in - if you're not checking in another bag - should be fine at gate
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Strange observation at LHR this week...

All roll aboards weighed at the departure gate and it looked like everything over 8 or 9 kg was then checked-in - long line of people crowded over to the left hand side of the gate while one agent tagged the bags.

Overheard a couple of queries/grumbles but they were not budging. Flight was 2/3 full so overhead space was not the issue.

If this wasn’t a one off then it would make long haul transfers connecting to EI at LHR somewhat less attractive.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus
Will this bag work for carry on?

We purchased this bag (Travelpro Maxlite 4 Expandable 21 Inch Spinner Suitcase, Black) for an Aer Lingus flight from Seattle to Dublin.

We are paranoid about the size of our carry on bags. We this spinner, and another similar two wheeled model. The two wheeled model fits the AL size recommendations.

This spinner however is about 24" high with wheels attached. If I remove the wheels the height is barely above the upper limit of 21.5".

Should we be concerned about this? Take the wheels off (re-attach when we land in Dublin) or leave them on and take our chances at check in.

I just joined this group today. We spent weeks researching bags. Amazing the mfr. don't give the size with wheels on.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Originally Posted by butchdon
We purchased this bag (Travelpro Maxlite 4 Expandable 21 Inch Spinner Suitcase, Black) for an Aer Lingus flight from Seattle to Dublin.

We are paranoid about the size of our carry on bags. We this spinner, and another similar two wheeled model. The two wheeled model fits the AL size recommendations.

This spinner however is about 24" high with wheels attached. If I remove the wheels the height is barely above the upper limit of 21.5".

Should we be concerned about this? Take the wheels off (re-attach when we land in Dublin) or leave them on and take our chances at check in.

I just joined this group today. We spent weeks researching bags. Amazing the mfr. don't give the size with wheels on.
There is absolutely no cause for concern. Especially on Transatlantic flights. You have nothing to worry about.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus
Thanks alserire
alserire likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:54 am

How strict is Aer Lingus about the weight limit of 10 kg/22 lb of the carry-on? On a connection California to Europe with transfer at DUB? I would very much like to avoid having to check in that bag since it will contain some fragile items.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Weight is rarely if ever checked on carry on, I've been weighed only a handful of times in 300+ flights and only because I was checking in at the desk. Only once did an EI manager at Dublin try to weigh my bag at boarding, gave up when I lifted my 12kg bag up with a single finger and said, do you want to weigh this?

The bag height limit IS an issue on all A32x operated flights as if you are over 21.5 inch it won't fit
Statman likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:29 pm

To follow-up on the carry-on weight issue: Aer Lingus at LAX check-in did insist on weighting the carry-ons. We had to repack a few things so that each carry-on (trolley bag) was within the 10 kg limit. Since there is no weight limit on the personal item and since we had been planning for that situation it was not an issue (and later on no-one cares how you reshuffle between your bags). For those caught unprepared though it might pose a problem. There was no additional check (and no further security check either ) when transferring at DUB later.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I've got a round trip BHX-DUB-BOS coming up, and the return DUB-BHX is operated by Stobart Air, which shows a smaller cabin baggage allowance (48x33x20cm vs. 55x40x24cm). As I suspect this is down to size of bins on the ATR, what is the likely outcome of turning up at the gate with 'regular' size carry-on that would have been OK on previous A330 operated sector?
* Charged extra to check in carry on
* Asked to gate check with no charge
* Nobody notices and hope to fit it in bins
* Thrown in jail?
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Gold (1mm) , Hilton Diamond, Aer Lingus Newbie
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
I've got a round trip BHX-DUB-BOS coming up, and the return DUB-BHX is operated by Stobart Air, which shows a smaller cabin baggage allowance (48x33x20cm vs. 55x40x24cm). As I suspect this is down to size of bins on the ATR, what is the likely outcome of turning up at the gate with 'regular' size carry-on that would have been OK on previous A330 operated sector?
* Charged extra to check in carry on
* Asked to gate check with no charge
* Nobody notices and hope to fit it in bins
* Thrown in jail?
I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago (thread is on this forum). I attempted to gate check my full size carry on with Aer Lingus Regional (Stobart) but was told not to bother as the flight was half full. It fit sideways in the overhead of the ATR no problem. So I guess it depends on how busy the flight is.
notakeenflyer and Dambus like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.