Wiki Posts
Search

Avios Taxes?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Avios Taxes?

Looking at a reward flight to Rome. Avios want €77 in taxes. If booking a full fare flight with EI the taxes come in at €49 and the full fare at €97 which makes my 8,500 avios worth exactly €20. Is there a way of avoiding this? Did I read somewhere that there is? Sorry if I'm posting a question already answered but I can't find the answer anywhere. TIA.

EDIT: It's actually worse. Looked at a one way flight to Milan. Avios want 6,500 avios and €59. The full fare booking through EI is €45

What is going on here!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:37 am

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
You can’t avoid it. EI is screwing its Aer Club members. As a Concierge member, I paid €520 for a flight to the States of which €100 was for taxes and charges. I then used the companion ticket for my wife where you just have to pay taxes and charges. Guess what, these came to €327. Absolute joke, buy hey, my wife and I get to travel on a four star airline🤪
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trustno1
You can’t avoid it. EI is screwing its Aer Club members. As a Concierge member, I paid €520 for a flight to the States of which €100 was for taxes and charges. I then used the companion ticket for my wife where you just have to pay taxes and charges. Guess what, these came to €327. Absolute joke, buy hey, my wife and I get to travel on a four star airline��
But that's not an issue with Avios, is it? It sounds like you were dealing exclusively with EI. Are EI charging Avios more in taxes and fees for reward flights? Is that the issue?

I just thought I rememberd seeing this discussed here before and that there is a way around it but I cannot find the thread. Maybe I'm imagining it.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
No way around the inflated award taxes that I am aware of. Eg taxes on a return flight to MUC came in at approx €130 for me recently (vs €300 for an equivalent paid ticket).

The one exception is LHR where round trip taxes are approx €50 - dunno why.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dambus
No way around the inflated award taxes that I am aware of. Eg taxes on a return flight to MUC came in at approx €130 for me recently (vs €300 for an equivalent paid ticket).

The one exception is LHR where round trip taxes are approx €50 - dunno why.
Thanks. Will have to go for an expensive fare somewhere a little further away to get value!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:05 pm

You can’t avoid it. EI is screwing its Aer Club members. As a Concierge member, I paid €520 for a flight to the States of which €100 was for taxes and charges. I then used the companion ticket for my wife where you just have to pay taxes and charges. Guess what, these came to €327. Absolute joke, buy hey, my wife and I get to travel on a four star airline🤪

4* Rip - off .
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:30 pm

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
Originally Posted by alserire
But that's not an issue with Avios, is it? It sounds like you were dealing exclusively with EI. Are EI charging Avios more in taxes and fees for reward flights? Is that the issue?

I just thought I rememberd seeing this discussed here before and that there is a way around it but I cannot find the thread. Maybe I'm imagining it.
You are indeed correct. However the Avios experience is similar. Paying shed loads out in taxes and charges.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
There are two reasons for the apparent rip-off;
1) "Taxes and Charges" include airport usage fees, APD, Fuel Surcharges and all the rest. Avios takes these fees (more or less) from the GDS, but for sale or promotional fares the airlines discount the "taxes". APD ex UK is £13, but Ryanair often offer £9.99 fares for example. Meanwhile, for rewards, the "taxes" for a Y/J fare would pay is what you pay in cash. This can lead to some bargains, for example US and Australia Domestic flights, where AA and QF don't have "YQ" and APD which can run into hundreds of €/£/$.
2) EI has chosen not to have "Reward Saver" on short-haul flights. BA has a fixed £35/55 cash payment, plus the applicable Avios, so you know what you are going to pay.

There is a good article on reward saver here:
https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...-flight-saver/

In my experience Ireland-UK routes, booked at short notice, if checked-in luggage is required can represent good value. But if booking in advance, cash fares are usually better value.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
There are two reasons for the apparent rip-off;
1) "Taxes and Charges" include airport usage fees, APD, Fuel Surcharges and all the rest. Avios takes these fees (more or less) from the GDS, but for sale or promotional fares the airlines discount the "taxes". APD ex UK is £13, but Ryanair often offer £9.99 fares for example. Meanwhile, for rewards, the "taxes" for a Y/J fare would pay is what you pay in cash. This can lead to some bargains, for example US and Australia Domestic flights, where AA and QF don't have "YQ" and APD which can run into hundreds of €/£/$.
2) EI has chosen not to have "Reward Saver" on short-haul flights. BA has a fixed £35/55 cash payment, plus the applicable Avios, so you know what you are going to pay.

There is a good article on reward saver here:
https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...-flight-saver/

In my experience Ireland-UK routes, booked at short notice, if checked-in luggage is required can represent good value. But if booking in advance, cash fares are usually better value.
That makes a fair bit of sense. I'll use them on a longer haul jaunt and make the most of them.

Thank you all for your replies.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: EI AC Silver, BAEC Gold
DUB-MAD is another exception possibly because you can transfer your avios to IB and use them on this route. One way on this route is 8500 + €17.50 which at some times of the year is a decent saving over the cash fare.
Dambus likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by alserire
That makes a fair bit of sense. I'll use them on a longer haul jaunt and make the most of them.

Thank you all for your replies.
Thats certainly how I use them. I essentially look at using Avios as a "free" upgrade to Business Class. My last redemption was MAN-LHR-MSY // SFO-LHR-MAN which came to £604 + 125000 Avios. A cash ticket was £608 in Economy.

One thing to note is that Avios tickets are very flexible. You can entirely cancel up to 24 hours prior to departure of your OUTBOUND for a £35 fee per sector. You get all your avios back. You can also change to another flight as long as seats are available. This is one reason why conventional wisdom is to book 2x one-ways, rather than a single return.
alserire likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by MBDublin
DUB-MAD is another exception possibly because you can transfer your avios to IB and use them on this route. One way on this route is 8500 + €17.50 which at some times of the year is a decent saving over the cash fare.
If I was doing DUB-MAD I would transfer to IB and fly IBX . One way 5650 + EUR16.13 .
Dambus likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: AerClub, BAEC.

It's not very clear on the Avios site what you are paying for. Would be nice if they gave a breakdown of the taxes and charges, in the interest of transparency!

That EUR100 figure you mentioned on the original booking must have been excluding the fuel surcharge, as this would be well over EUR100 on it's own for a return trip to the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.