Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Best days for snagging Concierge upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, EI Concierge

Hi,

I had an earlier thread on using a companion ticket while not travelling and trying to upgrade and am back with another angle. Thanks for your help there.

We are going to go out to DFW via ORD and return to DUB from LAX. We can be flexible on the day we leave and return so I wonder what are your experiences in getting upgrades over the weekend.

Is Saturday outbound to ORD busy with paid J ? Do most people positon on Saturday for work on Monday or do they fly out Sunday ?

From LAX - do the Irish lads go home Friday while the US guys leave Saturday to recover for work on Monday...?

Any experiences appreciated. I know there are a million clickbait articles on this but wanted your actual experience.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:55 am

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
In my 7 years of using upgrade vouchers I’ve never had a problem with ORD and LAX. Being somewhat flexible is the key. My only real problem has been SFO and even that route I managed to snag eventually. I travelled Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus AerClub Concierge , Marriott/SPG Platinum
Over the last 4 years I've never had an issue with MCO, ORD and LAX. I applied for one on the way home from SFO once and it was only issued at the gate.
Most if not all of my flights have been weekdays with the odd one departing Dublin on a Sunday.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Over the last number of years I have used the vouchers for BOS, JFK, ORD and MCO and only once has the upgrade not clear in advance but did clear at the gate (ORD-DUB on a Friday, almost exclusively business travelers).
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Rather than worrying about the day of the week, the key here would be to get your request in early.

The earlier you make a request, the more chance there is of it being accepted.

I don't know if the old Gold Circle staff are still employed there, but in the past you could ring up, enquire about upgrade availabilty, and they would wait on the phone while you made your booking, so that they could upgrade you on the same call once you gave them the PNR for the booking just made for the dates they had confirmed were available. (And they said to me that, if you book far enough in advance, you are practically guaranteed that there will be upgradable seats on any flight)
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28

I don't know if the old Gold Circle staff are still employed there, but in the past you could ring up, enquire about upgrade availabilty, and they would wait on the phone while you made your booking, so that they could upgrade you on the same call once you gave them the PNR for the booking just made for the dates they had confirmed were available.
For all its faults that was what made the old GC team stand out.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
The old staff do appear to be there alright but they don't seem to be on the phones but are behind the aerclubmirgration email
DELLAS likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, EI Platinum
Most of the seasoned GC team are probably part of the Concierge Team today who remain separated from the rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.