Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Earning hotels.com credit AND Avios?

Old Nov 7, 17, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus

I've had a few searches now (and have called both Hotels.com & Avios) but it seems difficult to find a definitive answer to this question...

If I book via the hotels.com link on my Avios homepage, do I earn both Avios and hotels.com free night credits? I have a huge amount of bookings coming up and would like to maximise my haul...has anyone experience with this?

I would have thought it would be unusual to earn both but from what I see on the hotels.com webpage, it's ok?

Thanks in advance
Ferg

Last edited by ferg01; Nov 7, 17 at 10:42 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 8, 17, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by ferg01 View Post
I would have thought it would be unusual to earn both but from what I see on the hotels.com webpage, it's ok?
Can you show exactly what you found on the hotels.com website that suggests you can participate in the "Welcome Rewards" program when you are booking via an outside party?

I had a quick look and found nothing about this.

However, the following statement from their T&Cs makes me think that you won't earn anything in Welcome Rewards for such bookings.

(It is usual that you can never "double dip" in this manner - i.e. earn both Avios and another reward currency. The only exception is Hilton Honors!!)

Originally Posted by Hotels.com T&Cs
In addition to the information above, you will not collect nights for the following:
1. Bookings made with an affiliate Hotels.com site
2. Bookings made before you joined the Program
3. Package bookings i.e. hotel + flight
4. Some bookings made using a discount coupon, voucher or code you will need to check the terms for each of these
5. Bookings made through Group Travel Services
6. Bookings that do not cost you anything, i.e. are free
Old Nov 8, 17, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
You can double dip using TopCashback.co.uk and still earn Hotels.com rewards, albeit you get a reduced cashback rate if you do this.

Topcashback are an avios partner so you can convert from Topcashback to Avios.com at a rate of 1 = 105 Avios.

Of course you'll have to book and pay in GBP rather than EUR if you go down this route...
Old Nov 8, 17, 3:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Sorry just double checked this and you can also double dip with Hotels.com IE as well. In fact it looks like the rate is better.

6% cashback whilst also earning Hotels.com rewards...
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Hi irishguy and mickeyjaw...thanks for the quick responses.

irishguy, I could have been more specific, what I meant to say was that I didn't see any language suggesting that I wouldn't earn credits. I take your point re: booking with an affiliate site but if you go through the Avios website, you are redirected to the Hotels.com homepage...the only difference is that you're asked to include your Avios/Aerclub membership number at a certain point in the booking process.

mickeyjaw, the hotel.com credits have appeared on my hotels.com account. I'll keep you posted on the rate if they end up posting to my Aerclub account also.

Thanks again to both for the input.
Old Nov 12, 17, 3:55 am

Programs: EI AC Silver, BAEC Gold
the hotel.com credits have appeared on my hotels.com account. I'll keep you posted on the rate if they end up posting to my Aerclub account also.
I am in the same position. I have a few bookings from last week where the rewards night has credited and I am waiting to see if any Avios accrue. I will update if or when I see any Avios appear.
Old Dec 1, 17, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Just as an update to this - I've just been credited with Avios from a November 5th hotels.com booking.
Old Dec 1, 17, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just as an update to this - I've just been credited with Avios from a November 5th hotels.com booking.
Did you also collect a night in your Hotels.com Rewards account for this stay?
Old Dec 2, 17, 4:46 am

Programs: EI AC Silver, BAEC Gold
Just to update my bookings. I had 6 bookings in November. 2 of the stays have gone towards the rewards night count and just posted to Avios.com at approx. 6 x booking amount. I cant work out why two have and four haven't but I will look into it later to see if it is related to the type of rate booked.
Old Dec 5, 17, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Did you also collect a night in your Hotels.com Rewards account for this stay?
Yup, both Avios and Hotels.com Rewards have been posted now.
Old Dec 5, 17, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good to know. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: