Risk to booking through orbitz?

Old Oct 21, 17, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
Risk to booking through orbitz?

I am looking at booking in J for ZRH-DUB-JFK in early June with the return later in the month. EI website is showing close to $3500 for this ticket but Orbitz has the same fare on the same planes in the same classes for $1695. Is there any risk or downside to booking it through orbitz? I always prefer to book through the airline directly but double the price is just ridiculous. Alternatively, has anyone had any luck calling EI directly and getting them to match the fare?

Sorry if I missed something. I searched and couldn't find much on the subject other than some 5 year old threads discussing whether or not the luggage allowance would still apply if booked through orbitz.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Oct 22, 17, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Risk? Such as what - the airline not accepting the ticket? Not going to happen.

I'm not sure how you are getting EI to price the ticket in US dollars, but think that if you paid in the local currency you would get a more decent price...
Old Oct 22, 17, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, irishguy28. Risks I considered are: Inability to select seats, high luggage fees, and yes, having something happen where EI denies boarding for some obscure reason. At least when the airline issues the ticket directly, you are perfectly clear about fare basis, change fees and the like. Also you can call them directly and not have to have them tell you that the ticket is under “travel agent” control.

As I am US based, the EI website automatically displays the ticket price in dollars and when I swap it to Euros or Swiss Francs it is the same cost just converted with today’s exchange rates. I have no problem in paying in Euros but unfortunately I don’t think they give you 50% off for paying in their national currency.

I am still curious if anyone has had any luck as to calling in and having them match a fare. I remember seeing in some of the older threads that EI had a price guarantee but can’t find anything current on this.
Old Oct 23, 17, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
EI doesn't allow you to add luggage online to bookings made via third parties. In business, you are allowed 3 bags to a total of 69kg, with no individual bag allowed over 32kg. Is it really likely that you would exceed this allowance? In this case, you would be straying into "excess baggage" if you wanted to add any more luggage, and I don't think this can be done online in advance, anyway. So, on that front you lose nothing by booking via Orbitz - anything over 150lb or 3 bags would have to be paid via the call centre or at the airport anyway. [I would advise doing this via the call centre rather than at check-in in Zurich - if you really need to go above your 3bag/69kg allowance]

Booking seats will be an issue, as the website doesn't allow you to do much with bookings made by third parties [basically, all you can do is add API/passport information]. A short phonecall to Aer Lingus, or a Direct Message on Twitter etc, should sort this out, though. I have always had seats in J assigned via this method - including on connecting shorthaul flights - if all travel is in Y, though, you would probably be told to wait until OLCI in order to select your own seat.
Attached Images   

Last edited by irishguy28; Oct 23, 17 at 4:22 am
Old Oct 23, 17, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much irishguy28. I definitely wouldn’t be above 69kg limit. I appreciate you sharing your experiences with having seats assigned while traveling J. Sounds like there is no downside. Going to book the ticket right now. You really helped to temper my fears.
Old Nov 9, 17, 11:51 am

I just did the same thing yesterday. Booked to Europe, added a Dublin stopover on a third party website, all in coach. Immediately called Aer Lingus and got my seat assignments done over the phone on all segments and sections, even on a dirty cheap fare 40 days out.
Old Nov 9, 17, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by LightYears View Post
I just did the same thing yesterday. Booked to Europe, added a Dublin stopover on a third party website, all in coach. Immediately called Aer Lingus and got my seat assignments done over the phone on all segments and sections, even on a dirty cheap fare 40 days out.
How did you do that? I have a LAX-DUB ticket on EI, bought via AA, and when I call EI and follow their prompts, selecting "ticket bought via other airline", they auto-hangup, after a message saying no-can-do! And AA say they can't even view the seatmap, let alone select a flight.

Last edited by Wexflyer; Nov 9, 17 at 7:44 pm
Old Nov 10, 17, 12:53 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Wexflyer View Post
How did you do that? I have a LAX-DUB ticket on EI, bought via AA, and when I call EI and follow their prompts, selecting "ticket bought via other airline", they auto-hangup, after a message saying no-can-do! And AA say they can't even view the seatmap, let alone select a flight.
If the ticket was sold by AA, all changes must go through them

AA can sell EI prime coded flights so they should be able to make the changes for you
Old Nov 14, 17, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I booked RNO-SFO-DUB on UA's site with SFO-DUB on EI. I called UA to get the EI booking code then called EI to get seats. Very easy and less than 5 minutes on phone with EI. Cheap Y ticket.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: