Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Question about Platinum Complimentary Upgrade

Old Sep 2, 17, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AerClub - Platinum

I am Platinum Class now till November 2018. Two things if anyone can help. Is the complimentary upgrade to business class one way only? And when is it applied? At time of booking? Check in? Boarding? New to this loyalty program business so not sure. EI website and customer service not very good on this!

I've asked EI twice but they seem very reluctant to tell me anything other than to call once I've booked the flight. I'd rather know in advance what the story is if possible. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Sep 2, 17, 6:46 pm

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
One complimentary upgrade allows you an upgrade on either the outbound or inbound segment of the journey. Speaking as a Concierge member, usually I ring EI Aer Club and give them my proposed flight details. They check there and then to see if business class seats are available. This can be confirmed on the call or sometimes you are asked to call back 24-48 hours later. If seats are available then you go ahead and book, provide the booking reference to Aer Club and they confirm the upgrade at that stage. You might find the outbound is available but not the inbound or vice versa. It helps if your travel plans are flexible. The SFO route is a difficult one to bag and I only succeeded with one of 3 attempts. Usually on this route (in my experience) EI will not confirm an upgrade until close to travel. Sometimes the week of travel itself. In one instance (where a flight was fully booked) I used an upgrade at the gate due to a no show. Best of luck with your plans.

Last edited by trustno1; Sep 2, 17 at 6:54 pm
Old Sep 3, 17, 2:18 am

Can you use the companion ticket to get a second business class ticket after upgrading?

Or if you use the companion offer to get a free economy seat can you upgrade the economy seats with the four free upgrades?
Old Sep 3, 17, 4:04 am

I think no to your first question but in the past I have definitely done what you have suggested in your second question. But that was in Gild Circle times when I was Elite but haven't tried under Aer Club.

You used to be able to use GC points for an economy ticket (just paying the taxes) and then use the upgrade vouchers to upgrade. I brought my daughter to NY in April having booked while GC was in operation. I tried to do the same thing under AerClub recently and was told this was no longer possible; i.e, use Avios for an Econ ticket and then upgrade. EI tied themselves in knots trying to justify the changes but just embarrassed themselves in their excuses which changed when challenged. The introduction of the saver fares goes someway to negating this as if you bag a cheap fare and then use the upgrade voucher that wouldn't be too bad. I've asked EI if I can combine a saver fare with the upgrade vouchers and I am awaiting their response. I would be surprised if they don't allow it but under AerClub.......anything is possible.
Old Sep 3, 17, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trustno1 View Post
One complimentary upgrade allows you an upgrade on either the outbound or inbound segment of the journey. Speaking as a Concierge member, usually I ring EI Aer Club and give them my proposed flight details. They check there and then to see if business class seats are available. This can be confirmed on the call or sometimes you are asked to call back 24-48 hours later. If seats are available then you go ahead and book, provide the booking reference to Aer Club and they confirm the upgrade at that stage. You might find the outbound is available but not the inbound or vice versa. It helps if your travel plans are flexible. The SFO route is a difficult one to bag and I only succeeded with one of 3 attempts. Usually on this route (in my experience) EI will not confirm an upgrade until close to travel. Sometimes the week of travel itself. In one instance (where a flight was fully booked) I used an upgrade at the gate due to a no show. Best of luck with your plans.
Thanks. Plenty of info there. That's probably what they meant by suggesting I call them. Just seemed a bit odd in this day and age when we do everything online. It'll be an east coast trip most likely. Looking at EI website there does seem to be seats on the later BOS and JFK flights almost everyday. Hopefully I can work it out. Thanks.
Old Sep 4, 17, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
The introduction of the saver fares goes someway to negating this as if you bag a cheap fare and then use the upgrade voucher that wouldn't be too bad. I've asked EI if I can combine a saver fare with the upgrade vouchers and I am awaiting their response. I would be surprised if they don't allow it but under AerClub.......anything is possible.
I would be surprised if they *do* allow it - after all, you've stated yourself that they no longer allow you to upgrade from a redemption ticket, so they have form in "closing down" the options - and if they do, I am sure the loophole will soon be closed off.
Old Sep 4, 17, 10:18 am

I have been Platinum since go live. But have not used the voucher. In August '17 I renewed platinum. I mailed AerClub and they replied back saying as a sign of good will they will keep both vouchers live.

Now I have an Avios booking for November and I am trying to use both vouchers. AerClub is saying this is not allowed as it is not applicable. I responded back asking why and to give details or were in the T&C's it is stated.

Any help as how to push this?
Old Sep 4, 17, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by kmccorm3 View Post
I have been Platinum since go live. But have not used the voucher. In August '17 I renewed platinum. I mailed AerClub and they replied back saying as a sign of good will they will keep both vouchers live.

Now I have an Avios booking for November and I am trying to use both vouchers. AerClub is saying this is not allowed as it is not applicable. I responded back asking why and to give details or were in the T&C's it is stated.

Any help as how to push this?
I don't think you can do anymore than you've done. I can't see why your booking is "not applicable". I think you just need some perseverance and hopefully you will get an answer. You have no chance of seeing the terms and conditions. In my experience, they reference these when they don't have a leg to stand on, and try as I might, I was never provided with these in dealing with my own AerClub issues. Please keep us posted on how things turn out.
Old Sep 25, 17, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Hey,

Thanks for the info. It turned out to be bang on. I told them my dates and they confirmed availability. Booked there and then and got the upgrade I wanted. Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.
Old Sep 26, 17, 1:01 am

It's nice when things work out. Enjoy the trip.

Search this Thread