FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aer Lingus | AerClub (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub-718/)
-   -   DUB-UK ID requirements - drivers license only? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub/1862530-dub-uk-id-requirements-drivers-license-only.html)

cat0 Aug 25, 2017 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 28735886)
FR, as is it right, does not accept any form of ID other than a passport on international services. The FR website makes an express mention of the Ireland-UK situation.

This has nothing to do with requirements of either country. Simply a corporate policy.

Yep, it's unfortunate because FR has the most convenient flight times for me - and it's a lot cheaper. Instead, I've booked myself onto EI which doesn't have the same restrictions.

DELLAS Aug 25, 2017 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by cat0 (Post 28735753)
Yes, this is indeed rather worrying. I was going to fly into LBA, but instead chose MAN for the better flight times.

I'm still going to go ahead and at least attempt the flight. I'll have my old passport with me, along with all my documentation (as a result of going to the US Embassy). Hopefully it'll work out at MAN.

I am more worried about coming back (LBA/NCL-(LHR-)DUB). Turning up in another country without a passport makes me a little nervous, but I'll be flying into DUB a few days before and so will confirm with an officer there just to make sure. I'll also have all my BPs, so I'll be able to show I was already in Ireland. Worst case, they deny boarding and then I hop on a flight to Belfast and take the train down instead.

Thanks everyone!

No need to worry I know people that fly EI to various UK airports and back to DUB on a regular basis and only use their driving license as ID. You will always get these isolated incidents usually by staff who either are ignorant of the rules or on a power trip. Either way it never fails to shock me how ignorant people are outside of ROI/NI about the CTA.

If you did happen to get someone who wants to make an issue of it just tell them you checked the rules with the airline and authorities before traveling. The problems from the isolated incidents seem to be on arrival back in the UK.

kt74 Jul 3, 2023 3:07 pm

Bump.
I've got a couple of LHR-DUBs coming up, including on EI, possibly while my passport is in for a visa application. Has anyone got recent IRL experience of using a UK driving licence on this route post-pandemic? Any issues at DUB immigration?

Niche, off topic follow up question... is it better to check in early or late for a decent seat if you haven't prepaid?! I'm not particularly bothered, just curious...

DELLAS Jul 3, 2023 3:38 pm

Flying EI nothing has changed for UK/IRL citizens.

https://www.aerlingus.com/prepare/pa...-from-britain/

kt74 Jul 4, 2023 5:01 am

Originally Posted by DELLAS (Post 35383537)
Flying EI nothing has changed for UK/IRL citizens.

https://www.aerlingus.com/prepare/pa...-from-britain/

Thanks... Oh wow, what a list, guess I could even show them my photo work ID... But how would they know I'm a UK citizen?!

irishguy28 Jul 4, 2023 5:17 am

Originally Posted by kt74 (Post 35384786)
But how would they know I'm a UK citizen?!

They check your knowledge of Cockney rhyming slang.

DELLAS Jul 5, 2023 2:07 am

Originally Posted by kt74 (Post 35384786)
Thanks... Oh wow, what a list, guess I could even show them my photo work ID... But how would they know I'm a UK citizen?!

They do have access to a database if your provided documents don't match or they have suspicions. Failing that you will end up in Kigali ;)

stifle Jul 9, 2023 12:32 pm

On an LHR-DUB Aer Lingus will accept various identification including student cards, bus passes, work ID etc.

INIS (Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service) will be less willing to do so. A driving licence with a place of birth in the UK or Ireland will generally satisfy them, as will a reasonably genuine looking photo ID accompanied by a UK/Irish birth certificate. (This is still the case despite the fact that since 1/1/1983 being born in the UK does not by default give you citizenship.)

If you can't produce something along these lines, you may be delayed at the border. If you have been before they will probably eventually find you on the system and let you through, but expect to be told off and advised to "bring proper ID next time".

On DUB-LHR there is no passport control upon arrival so there are no issues.

kt74 Jul 10, 2023 4:20 am

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 35398614)
On an LHR-DUB Aer Lingus will accept various identification including student cards, bus passes, work ID etc.

INIS (Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service) will be less willing to do so. A driving licence with a place of birth in the UK or Ireland will generally satisfy them

Great thanks, so full UK photo driving licence showing the UK as place of birth should pretty much cover it then

(As an aside, I've just checked, and my driving licence shows UK as place of birth... which it isn't, but I have no idea how to change it)

FlightDetective Jul 10, 2023 6:01 am

Originally Posted by kt74 (Post 35400273)
Great thanks, so full UK photo driving licence showing the UK as place of birth should pretty much cover it then

(As an aside, I've just checked, and my driving licence shows UK as place of birth... which it isn't, but I have no idea how to change it)

Considering you're BA Gold, one assumes you will also have a Passport of some description.

You might want to bring it with you just on the off chance something goes wrong, but by all means, try with your licence.

kt74 Jul 10, 2023 6:41 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective (Post 35400434)
Considering you're BA Gold, one assumes you will also have a Passport of some description.

You might want to bring it with you just on the off chance something goes wrong, but by all means, try with your licence.

Yes, see upthread, I've always used a passport in the past for DUB. But it may be unavailable for an upcoming trip due to being in for a visa application, hence asking the question

Teplane Jul 10, 2023 7:19 am

Yes, fly this route regularly with a driving license, last flight a few weeks ago. Absolutely no problem whatsoever, never even a raised eyebrow.

Just hang onto the boarding pass on arrival into Dublin as immigration will ask to see it along with the driving license to prove you came from within the CTA.

When you check in the prices of the seats remain the same, so if you don't want to pay you'll have to take a random allocation if all the free seats are gone. Given most LHR-DUB flights I've been on the last 2 months have been wedged I'd suggest picking in advance if you want a decent seat

DELLAS Jul 10, 2023 10:34 am

Originally Posted by kt74 (Post 35400498)
Yes, see upthread, I've always used a passport in the past for DUB. But it may be unavailable for an upcoming trip due to being in for a visa application, hence asking the question

Might be an idea to take a colour photocopy of your passport and take a photo of the back page on your phone too . Carry it with you .

VG31 Jul 10, 2023 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Teplane (Post 35400604)
Yes, fly this route regularly with a driving license, last flight a few weeks ago. Absolutely no problem whatsoever, never even a raised eyebrow.

Just hang onto the boarding pass on arrival into Dublin as immigration will ask to see it along with the driving license to prove you came from within the CTA.

When you check in the prices of the seats remain the same, so if you don't want to pay you'll have to take a random allocation if all the free seats are gone. Given most LHR-DUB flights I've been on the last 2 months have been wedged I'd suggest picking in advance if you want a decent seat

I used my driving licence a few months ago at DUB. It was actually quicker than using a passport as they can't scan them. They just glanced at it for a second. I wasn't asked for a boarding pass.