Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

How Strict are EI Carry-on Size Limits?

Old Aug 22, 17, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)

I have two carry-on bags that I use regularly, both are about 22 to 22.5"" tall, which is about 0.5-1" over the Aer Lingus limit of 21.5". Is that something that I need to worry about - are they that strict?
Thanks for any input.
Old Aug 22, 17, 8:21 am

Programs: Aer Lingus
IME EI are quite relaxed about bag size. I often see them offer to check baggage at the gate, especially on Air Stobart routes. If you had one oversized bag by 1", I'd be gobsmacked if you got nabbed. 2 bags...you're probably still ok.
Old Sep 15, 17, 8:29 am

Exact same question I was going to ask. My bag is about an inch too big on all dimensions. But, it isn't a wheeled bag. It is a soft fabric shoulder bag, so it definitely has some give to it, and can be smushed together some.

And, I really don't have any other options, other than bags that are too small, and I really didn't want to have to go out and buy another piece of luggage.

I am hoping they are not too strict. My bag will definitely not be too heavy...it's just a matter of the size.
Old Sep 16, 17, 2:37 am

One thing I do notice on recent flights is those in the Priority line are rarely checked. Maybe a good idea to purchase a choice seat.
Old Sep 19, 17, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz President's Circle
My rollaboard was nabbed at the gate while waiting for the doors to open for LHR-ORK last week. The gate agent told me to put my briefcase under the seat in front. I told her that I couldn't as I was in row 1. She offered to move me to the back of the plane - an offer which I politely declined. She also weighed my bag and concluded it was 2 kg overweight for the cabin baggage allowance.

In the end, I gave up and let her check in the bag. Thankfully I didn't lose too much time at ORK as it was the first one to come out.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: