Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Dublin 6 hour layover. Aer Lingus flights...Hotel?

Dublin 6 hour layover. Aer Lingus flights...Hotel?

Old Jul 27, 17, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT, *Wood PLAT
Question Dublin 6 hour layover. Aer Lingus flights...Hotel?

My flight from within Europe arrives in Dublin at 12:20am and I depart at 6:15am to another European destination. There's a Maldron hotel attached to the airport... Do I have enough time and does it make sense to get the hotel and a few hours sleep? Any idea of how long it will take to get out of the airport and then back in through security in the morning? Any tips on expediting this process? Lastly, can i check my bags all the way through to the final destination with Aer Lingus, or do i have to pick them up in Dublin at 12:20am and check them back in for the 6:15am flight? Thanks!!
Old Jul 28, 17, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
The Maldron hotel is not actually attached to the airport; neither it nor the Radisson Blu, the only other hotel on the airport campus, are in or beside the terminal. They are both a short walk from either terminal, but unless you know exactly where you are going, you may find them frustrating difficult to find.

Of course you have time in your 6-hour layover to go to either and get some sleep; the question is, though, how much time will you actually have for any decent sleep. Do you have to collect checked baggage to collect at 0:20 in the morning, and that needs to be checked in again the following morning? If so, that will take a big chunk out of your layover time, waiting for baggage delivery, and getting back to the airport earlier in order to line up to check it in again the next morning.

We can't really give you any tips as we don't know these details [if all travel is on Aer Lingus then you should probably be able to check your bags through, dependent on whether you are travelling on separate or single tickets or if there is anything else about the ticket you haven't mentioned, such as whether you have paid all necessary baggage fees where applicable]. If you opt to stay at the airport, T2 is closed at night but T1 landside remains open.
Old Jul 28, 17, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Mighty_Bluff View Post
My flight from within Europe arrives in Dublin at 12:20am and I depart at 6:15am to another European destination. There's a Maldron hotel attached to the airport... Do I have enough time and does it make sense to get the hotel and a few hours sleep? Any idea of how long it will take to get out of the airport and then back in through security in the morning? Any tips on expediting this process? Lastly, can i check my bags all the way through to the final destination with Aer Lingus, or do i have to pick them up in Dublin at 12:20am and check them back in for the 6:15am flight? Thanks!!
You would be to Maldron about 0130 and in bed. Back at T2 for 0500 latest then you would get about 3 hours sleep. Considering the rates charged at the Maldron then I personally would not do it unless you can claim back for business expenses.
Old Jul 28, 17, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT, *Wood PLAT
Thanks for the responses. All the legs of my trip are on Aer Lingus and purchased at the same time on one ticket. I'm hoping I can check my bags all the way through to the final destination and not have to pick them up at 12:20am and check it back in a few hours later. Does anyone have experience with Aer Lingus in this type of situation? As far as the Maldron cost, I'm booking it with Expedia points. If I can get about 4 hours of sleep in an actual bed, it will be well worth it. If anyone else has insight or experience in similar circumstances, would appreciate your 2 cents. thanks!

Also, is it worth buying the Fast Pass for 8 Euro in this situation? Would that help get me an extra 20-30min of sleep?

Search this Thread