Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus - Claiming EC 261 2004 - international litigation, small claims

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus - Claiming EC 261 2004 - international litigation, small claims

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:45 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...OUR-hours.html

POssible explanation??
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by eireman
See post# 53 above
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, EI Concierge
As I mentioned previously there is a new directive to scan ALL passports leaving the Schengen area - even EU citizens with free movement.

Airports have discretion on busy periods but the OP seems to have had none of that discretion.

This Daily Mail article is slanting it towards a Brexit reaction but this will be the new normal in the Schengen zone.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...OUR-hours.html
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:35 am

This is the new normal

Originally Posted by Danash
This little reported regulation is starting to have an impact

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/pr...ernal-borders/

Different airports have different policies for managing queues. I suspect that apart form the Expedia delay that the OP was caught up in a Passport check exiting the Schengen area - as per the regulation above. This will become the norm for air travel in the crazy world we live in today.

As we all know Brussels has been targeted several times so I would expect stringent checks.

I don't see a compensation claim being successful.

See here for similar angst in Madrid recently ( in Spanish )

http://www.elconfidencial.com/espana...rasos_1409043/

Referred to here....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ul-2017-a.html
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Very interesting.. I'm glad that some light is finally being shed on this. To be fair, it was a combination of all 3 - passport, security, and especially baggage check-in only opening 2 hours prior and taking nearly an hour did our situation become like this.

I had sent another email about 6-7 days ago following up to see if Aer Lingus can do more than just reimburse one ticket, no response as of yet...
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:49 am

Article today specifically mentions the compensation issue

http://www.independent.ie/life/trave...-35995709.html
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Danash
Article today specifically mentions the compensation issue

http://www.independent.ie/life/trave...-35995709.html
Which says:

Originally Posted by Irish Independent
Do I get compensation if I miss my flight home?

No, the opposite applies: you are likely to have a stressful time. If you miss a plane because you failed to comply with the airline's stipulation about when to reach the gate, you'll have to buy a new flight.

And with planes flying fuller than ever before, finding another seat will be difficult and expensive.
I wonder if travel insurance would cover such new flights...I suspect that the vast majority of policies wouldn't.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aer Lingus now advises to be at the airport 2.5 hours before scheduled departure
Attached Images  
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Wow - what a mess! I would've been very frustrated in that situation. Many airports in Europe are really unpleasant these days.

I was in a similar type of situation at MAN on Monday, catching the 0805am EI flight to DUB. While I was waiting in the queue for security, called the travel agent in SIN asking if I could be evacuated from the mess directly to SIN - I was 100% willing to skip the DUB part of the trip, it was so bad. Somehow ended up on the EI flight in the end.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What an unusual routing! You flew from Manchester - which has a direct SQ flight to Singapore - to DUB, which has no direct flights to SIN, so you preferred a 3-flight option over a direct or one-stop flight from where you started from.

Why?

(The delays you experienced at MAN could only have been security screening - there is no passport check on leaving the UK, and the UK is not in Schengen and therefore does not enforce these new Schengen database checks which are the main reason behind the delays in continental airports currently making the news)
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Originally Posted by irishguy28
What an unusual routing! You flew from Manchester - which has a direct SQ flight to Singapore - to DUB, which has no direct flights to SIN, so you preferred a 3-flight option over a direct or one-stop flight from where you started from.

Why?

(The delays you experienced at MAN could only have been security screening - there is no passport check on leaving the UK, and the UK is not in Schengen and therefore does not enforce these new Schengen database checks which are the main reason behind the delays in continental airports currently making the news)
I was in DUB for 1.5 days - not connecting. Just lost interest in further travel in Europe as I thought I'd miss the DUB flight.

Indeed, took the MAN-SIN flight in June.

Yes - security was a zoo.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Which says:

Do I get compensation if I miss my flight home?

No, the opposite applies: you are likely to have a stressful time. If you miss a plane because you failed to comply with the airline's stipulation about when to reach the gate, you'll have to buy a new flight.

And with planes flying fuller than ever before, finding another seat will be difficult and expensive.
I wonder if travel insurance would cover such new flights...I suspect that the vast majority of policies wouldn't.
Wait, this is very frustrating to read. Failure to comply? to an airlines stipulation about when to reach the gate....? How can they say this when they only opened their baggage check-in desk 2 hours prior to departure and took very long to even get our bags checked in? This should in fact strengthen our case..

Hmm, does this mean they're finally opening earlier than their previous 2 hour mark?

Last edited by vvaldellon; Aug 3, 2017 at 2:00 pm
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vvaldellon
Wait, this is very frustrating to read. Failure to comply? to an airlines stipulation about when to reach the gate....? How can they say this when they only opened their baggage check-in desk 2 hours prior to departure and took very long to even get our bags checked in? This should in fact strengthen our case..
Airlines typically are not in charge of the airport, airport staffing levels, or border/security policy. They are now updating their advice to travellers in respect of the delays.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Wow.

This will make life interesting for the army of UK professional service workers based in London but flying weekly to and from Europe.

Also a disincentive for EU travelers looking to take advantage of weak sterling.

Time for Ireland to sign up for Schengen....
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Airlines typically are not in charge of the airport, airport staffing levels, or border/security policy. They are now updating their advice to travellers in respect of the delays.
Even the front Aer Lingus desk where they check your bags in and give you a boarding pass?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.