Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Changes to Wifi on A330 aircraft from April

Old Apr 10, 17, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

On-board Wi-Fi – 3 New Plans on the North Atlantic

From 5th April 2017, we are launching three new plan options for Wi-Fi. These new price plan options will be available for our economy guests to purchase on our North Atlantic routes and European routes that are served by our A330 fleet.

The new plans are changing from time-based options to data-volume based options – giving more choice and saving.

Details of the new plans are:

€6.95 / $7.95 50MB €13.95 / $15.95 120MB €29.95 / $32.95 270MB
Old Apr 10, 17, 6:12 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Silver, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DELLAS View Post
On-board Wi-Fi 3 New Plans on the North Atlantic

From 5th April 2017, we are launching three new plan options for Wi-Fi. These new price plan options will be available for our economy guests to purchase on our North Atlantic routes and European routes that are served by our A330 fleet.

The new plans are changing from time-based options to data-volume based options giving more choice and saving.

Details of the new plans are:

6.95 / $7.95 50MB 13.95 / $15.95 120MB 29.95 / $32.95 270MB
Ouch. Those are stiff charges.

I wonder if it safe to assume that the free wifi card in C and for Concierge in Y will still be for 400MB?

Certainly makes it worthwhile to collect the card even on a sleep-only night flight....
Old Apr 11, 17, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by Dambus View Post
I wonder if it safe to assume that the free wifi card in C and for Concierge in Y will still be for 400MB?
The blurb specifically mentions economy only.

J pax should probably see no difference...
Old Apr 11, 17, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dambus View Post
Ouch. Those are stiff charges.

Certainly makes it worthwhile to collect the card even on a sleep-only night flight....
J is still getting a free voucher but not sure if they are reducing the MB. The new charges whilst being made out to be an enhancement are actually a downgrade if you normally buy a whole flight pass in Y .
Old Apr 11, 17, 4:21 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Ouch thats not good news. Those flight passes were useful on a long LAX or SFO flight. i can see myself burning through 270MB very quickly.
Old Apr 11, 17, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by modularmayhem View Post
Ouch thats not good news. Those flight passes were useful on a long LAX or SFO flight. i can see myself burning through 270MB very quickly.
Exactly and when you think of the cheapskate over priced mobile operators such as VF Ireland they even give their PAYG customers 500MB a day for a few Euro. 500MB is not that much these days for a smartphone. They have obviously seen it as a way to get extra revenue rather than a way to enhance the customer experience. I always thought the previous charges were very fair to be honest.
Old Apr 13, 17, 11:21 am

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
I mentioned this on the EI twitter today and for once they replied to negative comments. I basically was told to f**k off in the nicest possible way!!!

Or simply fly with one of our competitors who don't offer Wi-Fi at all
Old Apr 13, 17, 3:11 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Silver, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by energydj View Post
I mentioned this on the EI twitter today and for once they replied to negative comments. I basically was told to f**k off in the nicest possible way!!!
EI must have started to use the IAG shared marketing services team!

Out of interest I tracked my data usage on a DUB-ORD leg a couple of weeks ago and it was roughy
- 0.5GB app updates across 1 iPhone and 1 iPad
- 0.3GB of e-mail synchronization
- 0.1G of browsing (rough estimate)
- 0.3GB of auto laptop backup which I paused when I noticed it

Even proactively turning off app update and backups 270MB is not going to last long...
Old Apr 14, 17, 10:28 am

I flew J Class from SFO this week and was given a voucher, the voucher was for a 270MB limited connection. I assume they'd give you another one if you asked nicely though...
Old Apr 14, 17, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PMPON View Post
I flew J Class from SFO this week and was given a voucher, the voucher was for a 270MB limited connection. I assume they'd give you another one if you asked nicely though...
Thanks for the report and please do report back if they allow you another next time you fly. That would make a huge difference to the value of the free wifi advertised with the J product TATL. If they were to limit to one voucher then that would be a major downgrade.
Old Apr 17, 17, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
I'd be surprised if they didn't give you another in Aer Lingus J. They are very accommodating usually!
Old Apr 19, 17, 5:26 am

I pay for the EI Tmobile internet BOS-DUB and purchased the 120MB middle
package on my last flight. I browse and use a Java program always running in
the background. Good news is that the Tmobile counting is good. Browsing does
not use many MBs and the at least the particular Java program I used did not use
many MBs. The UK cell vendors count much higher if you pay them for roaming.
Problem with the EI wifi is that it is old slow technology so I do not think there
will be any advantage to the 270 MB plan. Also BOS-DUB has areas with no
connectivity at all. Plus areas where the wifi is very slow.
Old May 2, 17, 3:06 pm

Flew YYZ-DUB a few days ago and was given a 400MB card. Strange inconsistency...
Old May 3, 17, 9:13 am

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
Flew JFK-DUB on 30 April up the front and given 400MB card.
Old May 3, 17, 10:15 am

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, EI Concierge
Originally Posted by sjm0028 View Post
I pay for the EI Tmobile internet BOS-DUB and purchased the 120MB middle
package on my last flight. I browse and use a Java program always running in
the background. Good news is that the Tmobile counting is good. Browsing does
not use many MBs and the at least the particular Java program I used did not use
many MBs. The UK cell vendors count much higher if you pay them for roaming.
Problem with the EI wifi is that it is old slow technology so I do not think there
will be any advantage to the 270 MB plan. Also BOS-DUB has areas with no
connectivity at all. Plus areas where the wifi is very slow.
I purchased the 120 MB to send a critical email I came across while working offline. Just syncing my mailboxes (3) consumed 55 MB in seconds so the 120 MB level is simply ridiculous. 15 euro to send an email ?

But I guess this is the new Hotel phone revenue stream.

Search this Thread