Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus Business - my experience so far

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus Business - my experience so far

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC; IHG; Accor
Originally Posted by phoneticduck
If I'd paid for a business class ticket and some jobsworth refused me entry to the lounge because I had the wrong boarding pass, I would lose my sh*t..I mean seriously??
This happened to me on a recent BA flight from LHR to BHD as it said Domestic on it. Funny how when I complained on via twitter they were able to check the same systems and tell me that was an error! Not much good to me then as we buckled in and ready to deaprt!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Chink400
This happened to me on a recent BA flight from LHR to BHD as it said Domestic on it. Funny how when I complained on via twitter they were able to check the same systems and tell me that was an error! Not much good to me then as we buckled in and ready to deaprt!
How recent? Since domestic CE relaunched or did you have BAEC status for lounge access?

I've had it work in reverse to me in the past too. Returning to BHD after an inbound from SFO in F, Mrs in tow, and trotted on autopilot to the Galleries Lounge in T5 with my Silver status only to be advised I should be in the CCR as I'd come in on an F ticket.

As with many things, a lot seems to depend on the staff and their competence/motivation/level of interest at the time?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
View the full trip report Look Out! It's Aer Lingus!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
Thanks for the report, concise with good photos. I'm off to get my head around Aer Club/BAEC/Avios interop as that TATL product has just made it onto my bucket list!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Sure AAdvantage Earning will be with us soon. Now EI is back in OneWorld
If EI was back in oneworld, then there would already be AAdvantage Earning.

Aer Lingus is NOT back in oneworld, and is unlikely to be until sometime next year.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sealink
View the full trip report Look Out! It's Aer Lingus!
Is your title a sly nod to their 1980s "Look Up, it's Aer Lingus" ad campaign?

Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Is your title a sly nod to their 1980s "Look Up, it's Aer Lingus" ad campaign?

Aer Lingus ad look up its Aer LIngus - YouTube
It is!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That ad wasn't a patch on the "You're Home" ad

Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
OP, your efforts on the trip report are very much appreciated. Thank you!
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: BAEC; IHG; Accor
Originally Posted by phoneticduck
How recent? Since domestic CE relaunched or did you have BAEC status for lounge access?

I've had it work in reverse to me in the past too. Returning to BHD after an inbound from SFO in F, Mrs in tow, and trotted on autopilot to the Galleries Lounge in T5 with my Silver status only to be advised I should be in the CCR as I'd come in on an F ticket.

As with many things, a lot seems to depend on the staff and their competence/motivation/level of interest at the time?
This was before the relaunch of domestic CE and I'm only bronze. However due to the timings of my trip I'd paid for a flexible ticket and had lounge access on the way out.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Aer Lingus have replied and offered me a Ł200 eVoucher, which I think is quite generous.
Shiv01 likes this.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Sealink
Aer Lingus have replied and offered me a Ł200 eVoucher, which I think is quite generous.
Ł200 for being denied lounge access in LGW??

You should cross post this to the BA forum - it might brighten their day!
Old May 11, 2017, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Indeed - a good result although there were more inconsistencies but, as you can tell from my actual flight report, EI knocked it out the park on the transatlantic legs.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Just returned from a trip LAX-DUB-EDI and then returning DUB-LAX on EI using United Mileage Plus miles. All I can say is never again. While the inflight experience was good on the LAX-DUB in the new business class, the logistics and ground experience were pretty bad.

Outbound flight
- Could not manage itin online other than viewing it. Likely because its a partner award.
- Called when booked to preassign seats, this was 5 months prior. Double checked said seats a week or so before. When checking in, our seats had been moved to 6HJ from the single seats on the left side of the cabin. No explanation as to why, but was told the cabin had no other seats to change us to. Plane departed with about 50% of the seats occupied.
- Menzies handles EI in LAX and they were pretty bad. I had a rollaboard with a few items in it (thank goodness...read on) a small camera bag and a backpack for each of us. Weighed every single item, even the small camera bag. Total of the KGs was announced and told carry ons were not able to go because the rollaboard was 2KG over the allowed 10KG weight. For business class. After moving some things around, getting ready to check in the rollaboard, the supervisor just said its fine.
- TSA pre-check did not transfer over even though it was on our inbound flight, which landed at another terminal. To the regular line we went.
- DL lounge in terminal 2 was good.
- Flight arrived 45 minutes late and left about 45 minutes late. Very few announcements in crowded gate area.
- Flight experience was good, the cabin staff was excellent. The food was okay, but the window seat is pretty cramped. Being in row 6 also leaves you exposed to a bit of the galley light, which is annoying. Entertainment options were good.
- Our two checked bags never made it to EDI. They stayed in DUB. The bags came in on a flight later that evening, but did not show up to us until about 36 hours later.

Return flight
- Flight was at 300pm, arrive at airport after returning car at 12p. Saw on monitors that flight was cancelled. It was still in LAX from the day before on a mechanical delay then cancellation. No call, no message, nothing to let us know even though they knew a half a day before that the flight would be delayed or cancelled. Nothing on the flight status page the evening prior.
- Everyone was told to go to customer service/ticketing to get rebooked. Three different agents were there to handle the 60+ or so people in that business and economy line. An economy line was established on the other side of the check in areas, I saw it once and it was about 150+ people deep.
- We were third in line and waited in that line for almost 2 hours. Took them at least 30 minutes to process each group. But Supervisors kept bringing various people up, which slowed the process more. Agents kept disappearing and coming back, but there was very little sense of urgency.
- The agent I ended up with was wonderful and professional. I treat everyone well, and with kindness, so I think it was a result of her being relieved to not be dealing with some of the other livid people in line.
- We were put at an airport hotel, the Carlton. The shuttle pick up process took 49 minutes. We arrived at 4pm so we are 4 hours in at this point. The hotel itself was pretty bad, I cant believe it brands itself as a "luxury" hotel. Rude restaurant staff at lunch made us want to leave and go somewhere else for dinner. So we did.
- On the outbound flight that we ended up on, we got to deal with the disorganized Dublin airport security as well as the US preclearance security area. Dublin airport security will stop the entire flow of a line while they inspect a liquids bag for 4-5 minutes before it goes through the xray. Hmmmm that doesnt make sense at all. Then the preclearance process had everyone wondering what to do, most wondered if they were in the right place since they had just gone through security, so that slowed things down. You then queue up in front of the gate for several minutes because the US CBP lanes havent opened yet...not a minute before 7am. Ive been through numerous preclearance facilities in the past and this one was pretty bad.
- Of course, one of our bags didn't make it on the rebooked flights home either.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by JC5280
Just returned from a trip LAX-DUB-EDI and then returning DUB-LAX on EI using United Mileage Plus miles. All I can say is never again. While the inflight experience was good on the LAX-DUB in the new business class, the logistics and ground experience were pretty bad.

Outbound flight
- Could not manage itin online other than viewing it. Likely because its a partner award.
- Called when booked to preassign seats, this was 5 months prior. Double checked said seats a week or so before. When checking in, our seats had been moved to 6HJ from the single seats on the left side of the cabin. No explanation as to why, but was told the cabin had no other seats to change us to. Plane departed with about 50% of the seats occupied.
- Menzies handles EI in LAX and they were pretty bad. I had a rollaboard with a few items in it (thank goodness...read on) a small camera bag and a backpack for each of us. Weighed every single item, even the small camera bag. Total of the KGs was announced and told carry ons were not able to go because the rollaboard was 2KG over the allowed 10KG weight. For business class. After moving some things around, getting ready to check in the rollaboard, the supervisor just said its fine.
- TSA pre-check did not transfer over even though it was on our inbound flight, which landed at another terminal. To the regular line we went.
- DL lounge in terminal 2 was good.
- Flight arrived 45 minutes late and left about 45 minutes late. Very few announcements in crowded gate area.
- Flight experience was good, the cabin staff was excellent. The food was okay, but the window seat is pretty cramped. Being in row 6 also leaves you exposed to a bit of the galley light, which is annoying. Entertainment options were good.
- Our two checked bags never made it to EDI. They stayed in DUB. The bags came in on a flight later that evening, but did not show up to us until about 36 hours later.

Return flight
- Flight was at 300pm, arrive at airport after returning car at 12p. Saw on monitors that flight was cancelled. It was still in LAX from the day before on a mechanical delay then cancellation. No call, no message, nothing to let us know even though they knew a half a day before that the flight would be delayed or cancelled. Nothing on the flight status page the evening prior.
- Everyone was told to go to customer service/ticketing to get rebooked. Three different agents were there to handle the 60+ or so people in that business and economy line. An economy line was established on the other side of the check in areas, I saw it once and it was about 150+ people deep.
- We were third in line and waited in that line for almost 2 hours. Took them at least 30 minutes to process each group. But Supervisors kept bringing various people up, which slowed the process more. Agents kept disappearing and coming back, but there was very little sense of urgency.
- The agent I ended up with was wonderful and professional. I treat everyone well, and with kindness, so I think it was a result of her being relieved to not be dealing with some of the other livid people in line.
- We were put at an airport hotel, the Carlton. The shuttle pick up process took 49 minutes. We arrived at 4pm so we are 4 hours in at this point. The hotel itself was pretty bad, I cant believe it brands itself as a "luxury" hotel. Rude restaurant staff at lunch made us want to leave and go somewhere else for dinner. So we did.
- On the outbound flight that we ended up on, we got to deal with the disorganized Dublin airport security as well as the US preclearance security area. Dublin airport security will stop the entire flow of a line while they inspect a liquids bag for 4-5 minutes before it goes through the xray. Hmmmm that doesnt make sense at all. Then the preclearance process had everyone wondering what to do, most wondered if they were in the right place since they had just gone through security, so that slowed things down. You then queue up in front of the gate for several minutes because the US CBP lanes havent opened yet...not a minute before 7am. Ive been through numerous preclearance facilities in the past and this one was pretty bad.
- Of course, one of our bags didn't make it on the rebooked flights home either.
Thanks for reporting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.