Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Lounge insanity in DUB - 51st&Green or AerClub lounge but not both!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold

Recent experience traveling through DUB to N.Amer in C and with AerClub Concierge status:

New lounge access policy - Only one of the available lounges can be accessed (i.e. The AerClub lounge in the main departures area and the 51st&Green after USPC). But not both.

Both staff in attendance at the AerClub lounge said this had been communicated internally as the policy (due to the cost of lounge access) and they have a stamp which is applied to boarding passes at the AerClub lounge to ensure PAX are then unable to access the 51st&Green lounge.

Unvelievable.

I hope this is either a total internal comms failure or some local "initiative" that quickly gets stomped.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

- Dambus

[Edited]

Just adding another similar experience I have now heard about - in this case the lounge staff stated that the 51st&Green lounge is now the "designated Business Class lounge" and Bus class customers no longer have access to the AerClub lounge. The stamp is apparently for AerClub elites who have the choice.

All very much at odds with the language in the EI blog announcing the lounge:

http://blog.aerlingus.com/blog/2016/07/27/new-post-us-preclearance-lounge-at-dublin-airport

Previously, transatlantic guests have enjoyed the Aer Lingus Gold Circle lounge located in T2 Departures area. They can now continue their lounge experience in 51st & Green after pre-clearing US Customs and Immigration.

Last edited by Dambus; Dec 29, 2016 at 3:25 am Reason: Additional data points
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:12 am
soy

Programs: various
I've read several other reports to the same effect. One lounge only
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:13 am

So, if flying in J, you can only access the post Pre Clearance lounge now?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:31 pm

This is the kind of bush league crap that makes me doubt Aer Lingus as a company can pull off a legit premium product. That company has long been fully RyanAirized in terms of their attitudes and approaches.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by soy
I've read several other reports to the same effect. One lounge only
Here on FT? Did a quick scan before posting but may have missed previous reports on this.

My assumption that this was just a screw up may also be wrong so! Perhaps we should start a lounge guesting thread so that trans-Atlantic C pax can be guested into the AerClub lounge by generous DUB-KIR day trippers....

Hopefully EI re-joining OW at some point in 2017 will bring some order the lounge access rules.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: Still trying to use my Continental OnePass miles...
Which lounge is better?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Depends, 51st is probably the better in general, plus it's on the far side of USPC

EI lounge does have showers (edit 51st does as well it appears) and is EI so the reception can sort you out with changes, seats etc

I don't see the big fuss, going to the US, you use the USPC lounge, travelling elsewhere you use the EI one. I'd much rather get through all the formalities as soon as possible and get to the 51st and have no stress.

To be fair to the EI lounge crew they had a magic ability to call a flight for USPC and you would end up at the gate with 5-10 minutes before boarding. If you got pulled for secondary it might be very uncomfortable

Last edited by ROKNA; Jan 2, 2017 at 2:55 pm
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by correction
Which lounge is better?
The AerClub lounge is a good spot to:
- Park while other half does some duty free shopping
- Feed the baby before joining the USPC queue
- Deal with seating for upcoming flights (lounge agents are great)

The 51st&Green is better for
- Quality of food and beverage offering
- Views
- Space
- Stress free boarding

Have used both pretty much as above on previous trips. No more it seems.

Not sure what The Loop would say if they knew Bus Class Pax are being encouraged to by-pass the bulk of airport shopping.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:40 am

51st&Green is NOT an Aer Lingus lounge...therefore you should never be able to access it with an AerClub card.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
I can

Anyone with Platinum or Concierge has access with Aer Club, previously Prestige and Elite GC

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-inf...lounge-access/
AerClub Concierge and Platinum tier members can avail of Aer Lingus and partner airline lounges when travelling on scheduled flights, including 51st & Green which is located after CBP in Dublin Airport
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:46 am

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
I'm confused. Can you use the 51st and Green if you are Platinum or Concierge but not traveling transatlantic?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:51 am

The 51st & Green is past US Preclearance, so unless you're going to the US, you won't be able to access it.

Can anyone confirm ​​​​that US bound J travellers are now being directed straight to 51st & Green?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:54 am

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
Thanks for that. However, I think on at least 1 occasion I went through US immigration but then ended up going back upstairs and boarding my flight to the States through gate 426.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by trustno1
Thanks for that. However, I think on at least 1 occasion I went through US immigration but then ended up going back upstairs and boarding my flight to the States through gate 426.
You were within the USPC area at all times even at 426

With the exception of 4 gates, all other gates in T2 can be setup for USPC through series of doors/barriers to divide the terminal due operational requirements

You will NEVER mix with non USPC flights once you have passed through USPC
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
What if you simply print 2 copies of your boarding pass?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.