Go Back   > > >
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 6, 16, 12:38 pm   #1
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 476
X, T and U class do not qualify for Avios in AerClub

Interestingly, I thought all fares were eligible for AerClub Avios earning. It doesn't appear to be the case.

AerClub Eligibility

Your booked class is the first letter of your fare basis code below. Aer Lingus flights booked in all classes except the classes listed below qualify for Avios points.

Transatlantic Services: X, T and U
UK & Europe Services: X, T and U


Anyone know what these fare classes are?

When I flew on BA Avios across to Boston in Business Class it was U class, so perhaps this is the redemption bucket? What about X and T?

The reason I ask is that some flights to Amsterdam (31 March, back 2 April) are in T class apparently. Sigh.
FlightDetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 16, 12:53 pm   #2
  
Join Date: May 2013
Location: west coast best coast
Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Posts: 2,873
X and U are award seats for sure.. And T is award seats on AA. but not sure about BA/EI
keitherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 16, 12:58 pm   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, AZ, BA Silver: EY
Posts: 20,874
Can you please identify, or link to, your source?

U is a redemption class for business.
X may be the economy redemption class.
T is a revenue economy class and is listed as earning tier credits at half the normal rate on the website
irishguy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 16, 1:05 pm   #4
  
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Dublin
Programs: EI GC Prestige, BAEC Gold
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by keitherson View Post
X and U are award seats for sure.. And T is award seats on AA. but not sure about BA/EI
Afaik T is award on EI long haul economy. U is business award seat.
MBDublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 16, 1:07 pm   #5
  
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , Tesco clubcard
Posts: 285
I have a business class award booking in January and it's booked into U.
trustno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 16, 1:56 pm   #6
  
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: EIDW
Programs: Aer Lingus Platinum, Club Carlson Concierge, BW Diamond
Posts: 442
For Tier points

For Europe A/Z/W/T are classed as discounted fares
For TATL A/Z/W/T/O/R are classed as discounted fares

U is business redemption

For reference in GC W/Z/A/U/T didn't qualify

EI did change the fare buckets around a few years ago, but I've certainly travelled on X fares recently on a revenue basis
ROKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 16, 7:06 am   #7
  
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Programs: Aer Lingus Platinum; IHG Gold Ambassador
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Can you please identify, or link to, your source?

U is a redemption class for business.
X may be the economy redemption class.
T is a revenue economy class and is listed as earning tier credits at half the normal rate on the website
This is visible from the Aer Lingus booking page, when you click 'Fare Rules'.
Attached Images
  
Kobold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 16, 7:19 am   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, AZ, BA Silver: EY
Posts: 20,874
Thanks.

But that's very nasty. They *should* also post this in the "Avios earning" page. There's nary a mention of ANY exception for Aer Lingus (though I guess you could complain that they don't mention the exclusion of redemption flights explicitly, it becomes obvious that there is no "base fare" on which to earn Avios, anyway - and as regards the partner airlines, you can click through and see the earning tables so can deduce that there are classes that might not earn).

My upcoming trips for Xmas are all in T.

There goes the paltry 6 Avios I was looking forward to earning on the first ticket (base fare: 1.99. I found out on their website that cash amounts are rounded before Avios conversion).
Attached Images
  
irishguy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 16, 4:22 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, AZ, BA Silver: EY
Posts: 20,874
So T is listed (amongst other fare classes) as earning half tier credits; no such mention of X and U in the Tier Credit tables.

So are we to understand that X and U earn zero Avios but full Tier Credits???
irishguy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 16, 1:53 am   #10
  
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Thanks.

But that's very nasty. They *should* also post this in the "Avios earning" page. There's nary a mention of ANY exception for Aer Lingus (though I guess you could complain that they don't mention the exclusion of redemption flights explicitly, it becomes obvious that there is no "base fare" on which to earn Avios, anyway - and as regards the partner airlines, you can click through and see the earning tables so can deduce that there are classes that might not earn).

My upcoming trips for Xmas are all in T.

There goes the paltry 6 Avios I was looking forward to earning on the first ticket (base fare: 1.99. I found out on their website that cash amounts are rounded before Avios conversion).
What was your ticket cost?? You will earn Avios on that and not just the base fare
Drums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 16, 2:15 am   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, AZ, BA Silver: EY
Posts: 20,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drums View Post
What was your ticket cost?? You will earn Avios on that and not just the base fare
No - see above. X, T and U do not earn any Avios. But X and U are not listed anywhere (that I have seen) as being excluded from Tier Credit earning (T gets half TCs). So we apparently have the unusual situation


Code:
Fare Class     Avios earning   Tier Credit Earning

   T                   none                half
   U                   none                full
   V                   none                full
irishguy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 16, 2:22 am   #12
  
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
No - see above. X, T and U do not earn any Avios. But X and U are not listed anywhere (that I have seen) as being excluded from Tier Credit earning (T gets half TCs). So we apparently have the unusual situation


Code:
Fare Class     Avios earning   Tier Credit Earning

   T                   none                half
   U                   none                full
   V                   none                full
Hmm X and U are redemption classes you won't get anything there Avios or Tier Credits, T class I am not sure whats going on there alright.
Drums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 16, 6:55 am   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, AZ, BA Silver: EY
Posts: 20,874
I fly home on a T fare for Xmas so I can report back how it earns

Just discovered that the 30-day advance check in doesn't work from AMS. But I am now fully expecting that my €1.99 fare next week will earn 0 Avios, rather than 6, and 0 tier credits.
irishguy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 16, 11:50 am   #14
  
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SIN
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
I fly home on a T fare for Xmas so I can report back how it earns

Just discovered that the 30-day advance check in doesn't work from AMS. But I am now fully expecting that my 1.99 fare next week will earn 0 Avios, rather than 6, and 0 tier credits.
0 Avios would make sense, but 0 tier credits would be a shocker!
MeltingAlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 16, 12:25 am   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, AZ, BA Silver: EY
Posts: 20,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf View Post
0 Avios would make sense, but 0 tier credits would be a shocker!
I have yet to encounter a frequent flyer programme where you can earn level/elite qualifying miles on a flight that doesn't earn award miles.

I happened to notice yesterday that, as far as Expertflyer is concerned, "T" is Aer Lingus economy redemption space...which seems wrong, as I have "T" revenue flights...and some of the stuff listed on that page just seems wrong (They list Martinair economy awards...despite it becoming a cargo-only airline back in 2011).
irishguy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top