Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

X, T and U class do not qualify for Avios in AerClub

X, T and U class do not qualify for Avios in AerClub

Old Jan 19, 17, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by mb48 View Post
What if you pay for an upgrade via the "Manage my booking section" and not the online bidding system?
It still processed and booked into the same fare bucket so had the same effect.
Old Jan 19, 17, 6:59 am

Programs: EI Aer Club; AF/KLM Flying Blue; IHG Rewards Club Elite; GHA Discovery Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Surely a "paid upgrade" is a "paid upgrade" regardless of the specifics/mechanics of how payment was made?
Yes but when done via the My Bookings page you pay the full amount as if you were just booking it at the start whereas with plusgrade you can get a discounted price. It seems highly unfair that a ticket you paid approx. 2000 for would earn nothing.
Old Jan 19, 17, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
-yes, that does seem wrong.

I would guess that a full paid upgrade would NOT be into U class, but rather into P or some other earning Premier class.

(But you wouldn't have "earned nothing". You'd always have got the earning for the orignially-purcahsed ticket, at the very least!)
Old Jan 19, 17, 4:20 pm

Perhaps slightly off topic but I booked flights to JFK in business which book into P class. I can't seem to see if they earn at all into BAEC. Does anyone know if that's true? If so does it earn in AerClub? Could I earn avios in AerClub and then move to BAEC?
Old Jan 19, 17, 4:40 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell View Post
Perhaps slightly off topic but I booked flights to JFK in business which book into P class. I can't seem to see if they earn at all into BAEC. Does anyone know if that's true? If so does it earn in AerClub? Could I earn avios in AerClub and then move to BAEC?
The BAEC mapping of fare classes don't make any sense, some of the higher economy fare classes e.g. E are missing, but W which EI won't award tier points on is listed

Firstly booked with EI or BA? If it was sold by BA on a BA code, normal BA rules apply.

P is a valid EI business fare class (discounted fare) and it does earn Avios and you can transfer them to BAEC from AC
Old Jan 20, 17, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by ROKNA View Post
The BAEC mapping of fare classes don't make any sense, some of the higher economy fare classes e.g. E are missing, but W which EI won't award tier points on is listed

Firstly booked with EI or BA? If it was sold by BA on a BA code, normal BA rules apply.

P is a valid EI business fare class (discounted fare) and it does earn Avios and you can transfer them to BAEC from AC
Thanks!! Booked on EI but I'd prefer to credit to BAEC. I'm hoping (though seems unlikely) that by the time I fly in Nov, EI will earn tier points on BAEC
Old Jan 20, 17, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell View Post
Thanks!! Booked on EI but I'd prefer to credit to BAEC. I'm hoping (though seems unlikely) that by the time I fly in Nov, EI will earn tier points on BAEC
There is no chance that EI will be earning TP within BAEC by then.

EI has been an IAG airline for well over a year now. They could have made EI a full BAEC partner by now. Every milestone that has passed - buying the airline, rolling out full codesharing acrosss EI and BA, converting EI over to Avios, etc - has passed without any change. They are clearly at this stage waiting til the last available moment to do so - i.e. re-integration into Oneworld, which we had guesstimated would not happen before March of next year.

(Compare this with the rush to implement Qatar as an earning parnter in BAEC. They added Qatar as a full Avios/Tier Point earning partner even before they were formally admitted into oneworld - admittedly, it was only a few weeks before, but it still displayed an eagerness to have them onboard [anyone else would say - let's just wait the two weeks til they are formally in oneworld - particularly as there was a fare-class rejig going on and BAEC had to change the earning table only a few weeks after they were added as partners]. So the only reason they haven't similarly added EI as a full earning partner is because - they don't want to, for some reason. When EI is back in oneworld, they will HAVE to add them as a full earning partner).

Given how badly a "simple" change in FFP has been handled, I don't think their IT gurus will be in any fit state to handle an alliance re-integration on that timescale. The AerClub launch was delayed by as much as....was it a year?...so I think we can sit back and wait for at least another year, probably longer...

I, too, have been anxiously waiting for EI to be fully integrated in to BAEC earning. Would make retaining status with BA so much easier!
Old Jan 20, 17, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Thanks. Enjoy the flights. And despite the recent anti-consumer mess of the whole Aerclub transition, I would be quietly confident that you will earn your original E Avios/Tier Credits....
Avios and Tier Points for the return have now posted in my AC account. Nothing for the first leg, with U fare.
Old Jan 20, 17, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shamrock125 View Post
Avios and Tier Points for the return have now posted in my AC account. Nothing for the first leg, with U fare.
It would not be unusual in most FFP schemes to have to follow this up with staff, which is what I would advise you to do...
Old Mar 8, 17, 2:07 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Silver, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Sneaky change to Tier Credit earn rates?

Did I miss this in the original launch or have the Tier Credit earn rates changed for a range of discounted fares?

e.g. on transatlantic flights where Low is flagged as earning 50 Tier Credits one-way there is now a footnote to the earnings table stating:

"Sale or promotional fares in Low economy will earn 50% of the Low economy award
(Fare classes A,Z,W,T,O,R on transatlantic flights)"

i.e. these fare classes now only earn 25 Tier Credits

A similar comment appears below the table showing how many one-way flights are need to qualify for each Tier level. (Which now makes the table very misleading in IMHO).
Old Mar 9, 17, 1:30 am

Programs: AL Aer Club Concierge / Aadvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by Dambus View Post
Did I miss this in the original launch or have the Tier Credit earn rates changed for a range of discounted fares?

e.g. on transatlantic flights where Low is flagged as earning 50 Tier Credits one-way there is now a footnote to the earnings table stating:

"Sale or promotional fares in Low economy will earn 50% of the Low economy award
(Fare classes A,Z,W,T,O,R on transatlantic flights)"

i.e. these fare classes now only earn 25 Tier Credits

A similar comment appears below the table showing how many one-way flights are need to qualify for each Tier level. (Which now makes the table very misleading in IMHO).
I agree this was s sneaky change. It definitely wasn't there before.

As an aside, the table was misleading anyway ... to get to concierge it states you need 21 TATL flights. That only gets you 1050 tier points which isn't enough. You need 1051 to advance, so you need 22 flights.
Old Mar 10, 17, 4:20 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Silver, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RMDrive View Post
I agree this was s sneaky change. It definitely wasn't there before.

As an aside, the table was misleading anyway ... to get to concierge it states you need 21 TATL flights. That only gets you 1050 tier points which isn't enough. You need 1051 to advance, so you need 22 flights.
Just did a quick scan and beyond about 2 weeks out almost all low economy fares book into one of the discounted classes. Big devaluation for most travelers. 🙁

Also, it appears that economy legs booked through my approved corporate TA book into the discounted classes - not sure if this just based on lowest available fare or our route deal.

The DUB lounges will continue to empty....
Old Mar 10, 17, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Silver, AerClub Platinum, IHG Rewards Club Platinum Ambassador
Just did a quick scan and beyond about 2 weeks out almost all low economy fares book into one of the discounted classes. Big devaluation for most travelers. 🙁

Also, it appears that economy legs booked through my approved corporate TA book into the discounted classes - not sure if this just based on lowest available fare or our route deal.

I think it's obvious that AerClub's focus is on the high-revenue customers(as Kavanagh has said). To a certain extent it's understandable, they're the ones paying high fares(and buying Plus/Flex fares), but I think it's no longer a frequent flier programme, it's a revenue rewards programme(Avios based on revenue is another example of this).

BA/IB at least have the number of sectors option for achieving status(granted it's 25 sectors in a year for basic status, but it's still there), EI not even having this option just reinforces the revenue focus.
Old Mar 10, 17, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by alancostello View Post
I think it's obvious that AerClub's focus is on the high-revenue customers(as Kavanagh has said). To a certain extent it's understandable, they're the ones paying high fares(and buying Plus/Flex fares), but I think it's no longer a frequent flier programme, it's a revenue rewards programme(Avios based on revenue is another example of this).
Correct and as much as I understand the shock to some low yield corporate former GC members in fairness even Silver is easy to maintain especially on Advantage fares. If people really want a way around it then pay Advantage fares until you get the Tier credits needed for 6 months of the year then buy cheapo fares the rest of the year.
Old Mar 10, 17, 3:11 pm

Programs: AL Aer Club Concierge / Aadvantage Platinum

I booked DUB-ORD today for May and it booked into S class. I hadn't checked so I scrambled when I saw your post.

Search this Thread