FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aer Lingus | AerClub (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub-718/)
-   -   Dublin layover with a child? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub/1803455-dublin-layover-child.html)

ShamRockSteady Nov 20, 2016 7:23 am

Dublin layover with a child?

*I considered posing this in the UK & Ireland forum but given the topic I thought i might get better advice here*

I will have a five hours layover in Dublin in December withe my four year old son. As we will be coming in from an overnight flight I'd love to be able to take him outside of the airport to a local park or something. I also considered taking the bus into Dublin and back just so he could ride it (hopefully it's double decker as he has never been on one). We'd even like to just go somewhere nearby for a decent irish breakfast.

Does anyone have any other ideas in or around the airport for such a short time? As you can see, it doesn't have to be terribly exciting or adventurous. It's really just so we can keep him awake and he can stretch his legs a bit.

Thanks!!

irishguy28 Nov 20, 2016 9:25 am

If you're arriving from the US, it may still be dark at the time you land - and for several hours thereafter - and Dublin weather in December is rarely conducive for visiting parks.

Dublin Bus does serve the airport with double-decker buses on some routes; however, 4 hours isn't a whole lot of time to be contemplating leaving the airport and I am at a loss as to recommend any particular destination for you on this trip.

Dambus Nov 20, 2016 10:10 am

Depending on the time you land (e.g. If after 9:00) and the weather you could exit and get the free shuttle to the Crowne Plaza Dublin Airport. The shuttle is every 30 mins in each direction (10 min journey) and the hotel is right across the road from a park, including a playground.

irishguy28 Nov 20, 2016 10:18 am

I wouldn't recommend taking a hotel shuttle.

They are really only intended for paying guests. The Crowne Plaza shuttle serves two adjacent hotels and you may find that your return to the airport impeded by guests having already reserved their spots on the shuttle.
You will also have confirmed yourself as a non-paying guest when you attempt to return to the airport on the same bus - probably with the same driver - after such a brief "stay" in the hotel.
And again, parks and playgrounds on December mornings are probably not where you want to bring your child...

MBDublin Nov 20, 2016 1:21 pm

Two other ideas.
The local IKEA is a short distance away with a supervised crèche and play area and the typical IKEA restaurant. Has the advantage of being warm and dry. You can even drop the child in while you look around if you want. Dublin is also scattered with indoor children's play areas and there is bound to be one in the Swords/ Finglas area.

Dambus Nov 20, 2016 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 27505283)
I wouldn't recommend taking a hotel shuttle.

They are really only intended for paying guests. The Crowne Plaza shuttle serves two adjacent hotels and you may find that your return to the airport impeded by guests having already reserved their spots on the shuttle.
You will also have confirmed yourself as a non-paying guest when you attempt to return to the airport on the same bus - probably with the same driver - after such a brief "stay" in the hotel.
And again, parks and playgrounds on December mornings are probably not where you want to bring your child...

Agree re the weather dependence - would need to be a dry bright day to make it worthwhile.

I have never seen the shuttle (for the Crowne Plaza/HI Express) full and have used it multiple times when not staying at either hotel - e.g. for a local meeting and/or using the car park. The hotel advertises a €6 per day parking rate for DUB travelers - no requirement to be a guest.

ShamRockSteady Nov 20, 2016 4:58 pm

Thanks everyone for the helpful ideas!

Danash Nov 21, 2016 5:12 am

Depending on the time you arrive you could take the 102 bus ( double decker) directly outside the terminal and head for Malahide Castle. It is a 'real' Castle and there is a very well equipped playground there. Ask the driver to call you at the correct stop.

Within the grounds there is also an Avoca shop with a high quality restaurant for breakfast.

Bus timetable here.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey...imetables/102/

Malahide Castle information here.

https://www.malahidecastleandgardens.ie/

Castle opens at 930 and the bus will take you 25 minutes each way so you could have 2/3 hours there.

eireman Nov 23, 2016 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by MBDublin (Post 27505933)
Two other ideas.
The local IKEA is a short distance away with a supervised crèche and play area and the typical IKEA restaurant. Has the advantage of being warm and dry. You can even drop the child in while you look around if you want. Dublin is also scattered with indoor children's play areas and there is bound to be one in the Swords/ Finglas area.

Does the Mcdonalds on the exit road have a Kids indoor Play area?

MarkFlies Nov 24, 2016 12:15 pm

Another option is the Pavilions Shopping Centre in Swords.

Taking the double-decker bus would take no more than 15 minutes one-way (but allow some time for waiting for it).

It would be nothing hugely exciting - a suburban shopping mall - but it's connected to the town's main street - a walk along which would pass a few minutes. The shopping centre is indoors with lots of cafes. I don't know if there's a creche/play area.

It would tick a few of your boxes and it's very near the airport. If you got lost/delayed it would be easy to get a taxi to the airport.

DELLAS Nov 26, 2016 8:05 am

+1 for Swords Pavillions.