NOT using online check-in for DUB

Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

NOT using online check-in for DUB

It seems that most people checking in online don't pay for the seats near the front. So they are often available.

Does anyone have experience of checking in at the airport, using kiosks or desk? Do they charge for the 'better' seats then?

If you use a kiosk are all available seats there to be chosen or are you restricted to the no-charge seats?

Thanks.

I guess I'm trying to get one of the chosen seats, but I'm also a cheapskate.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:17 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Seats at front are released if the flight is full, priority is typically given to passengers with connecting flights, passengers travelling on tickets which include a business class segment and frequent flyers

Aer Lingus frequent flyers are allocated seats in rows 2-7 when departing Dublin so on a flight to business destinations all the seats can be taken.

If the flight is not full, policy is to block the middle seat in rows 2-7 where a frequent flyer has the isle or window, or to block the two remaining seats. So I have regularly had the only empty seat on the plane next to me in row 2.

Beyond Dublin expect a up sell for exit rows if requested, beyond that its first come first served, but again if the flight is not busy frequently flyers will likely get a row to themselves

If you absolutely need to be in row 1 only choice is to pay
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:17 pm

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
Originally Posted by ROKNA
Seats at front are released if the flight is full, priority is typically given to passengers with connecting flights, passengers travelling on tickets which include a business class segment and frequent flyers

Aer Lingus frequent flyers are allocated seats in rows 2-7 when departing Dublin so on a flight to business destinations all the seats can be taken.

If the flight is not full, policy is to block the middle seat in rows 2-7 where a frequent flyer has the isle or window, or to block the two remaining seats. So I have regularly had the only empty seat on the plane next to me in row 2.

Beyond Dublin expect a up sell for exit rows if requested, beyond that its first come first served, but again if the flight is not busy frequently flyers will likely get a row to themselves

If you absolutely need to be in row 1 only choice is to pay
I find the the whole seat assignment thing very annoying. I fly every week and have got to Elite, yet I still have to pay for seat assignment or take my chances when online checkin opens. Usually seated around row 15 as this is the furthest forward window available. I think EI should allow all GC members to choose their seat at checkin once you add your FF number. After all, we are giving them enough money as it is.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:01 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Something going wrong, if you are departing Dublin you should be getting a good seat

The rules
1. Gold circle number must be submitted at time of booking, if added later this will not work
2. Must be a Aer Lingus ticket, BA or other code shares won't work
3. Check in AFTER 10pm the day before travel if flying the next morning, or after 10am if flying in the evening
4. Check in using the website or self service machines do not use the new phone app
5. When going through the online check-in select the sit anywhere option

You end up in row 2-7 every time leaving Dublin if you do this

My last 6 flights from Dublin, 3D, 2D, 6C, 4C, 2C, 4C

If you are a elite member call the magic number and ask GC to sort it out or alternatively have a chat with the lounge folks who can do magic with seats
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:04 am

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
I'll try that. No use for my flight tonight as I checked in yesterday. I will wait till Sunday evening after 10pm to check in for my 7am departure on Monday. Also, does your tip work at the outstations?

Regarding the magic number, I work in Germany for most of the week and the GC number on the back of the card can't be dialed from abroad. To contact GC admin you have the use the "calling from abroad" number for general GC queries.

Last edited by trustno1; Aug 24, 2016 at 6:13 am
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:03 pm

This applies only to shorthaul departures from Dublin

The only thing to check is that the first booking confirmation email shows the gold circle number, if it does it should work.

Note, this is no good for morning departures on Dec 26th
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, EI Concierge
Something going wrong, if you are departing Dublin you should be getting a good seat

The rules
1. Gold circle number must be submitted at time of booking, if added later this will not work
3. Check in AFTER 10pm the day before travel if flying the next morning, or after 10am if flying in the evening
4. Check in using the website or self service machines do not use the new phone app

If you are a elite member call the magic number and ask GC to sort it out or alternatively have a chat with the lounge folks who can do magic with seats
Some good advice here - was wondering how I was drifting down the back a little recently.

Quick question - am off to Malaga in the morning on the A330 at 0700 - what are the chances of a GC member getting the Biz class seats using this method ? (!)
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:32 am

You can upgrade to biz on the Malaga for a trivial number of points, just call up GC.

On the day no idea, best option check in, in person at the GC desk, you never know
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Danash
Some good advice here - was wondering how I was drifting down the back a little recently.

Quick question - am off to Malaga in the morning on the A330 at 0700 - what are the chances of a GC member getting the Biz class seats using this method ? (!)
Update on this - I tried to check in online from home but the Website couldn't handle the new Passport Card number format. When I used my book passport it worked fine and had 12A/C on the way out on the 330.

On the way back it gave me 27A/B so not so good. I managed to change them at check in for 3C/D.

Was a little surprised at the Passport card error. I used the card at entry and exit - the Spanish Border Agent even swiped it so there should have been a disconnect with the API info ( different passport number ). So much for the use of that sort of advanced information. ( I had my book with me as well)
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:14 am

Seems about right

Astral hates the passport card, causes a lot of fun at the manual check in, its worked for my before. I routinely use the passport for check in/API but use the card on arrival

Leaving Dublin the seat allocation seems to work as expected, coming back it doesn't again as expected
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:25 am

The rules

Rokna - any update on how AerClub has impacted this process ? Does it still work...?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Danash
Rokna - any update on how AerClub has impacted this process ? Does it still work...?
Yup still works

The AerClub status levels are mapped to old GoldCircle levels so the nightly printout lists anyone who held status from either program on the date of booking.

1. Anyone silver or better who booked after AC launch
2. Anyone gold or better with GC who booked before AC launch

If you are AC the status level on the boarding card will make sense, if you booked with the GC number status printed on the boarding card probably won't make sense unless you can it during check in
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:40 am

Hi - I have a related question around this - what happens if you have booked with your family on a single booking? (I have Concierge status and my wife has the companion silver status, and we are travelling with our 2 children).
Will our Aerclub status mean we all get assigned decent seats, or does it only apply when the cardholder is travelling on their own?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Mikejj
Hi - I have a related question around this - what happens if you have booked with your family on a single booking? (I have Concierge status and my wife has the companion silver status, and we are travelling with our 2 children).
Will our Aerclub status mean we all get assigned decent seats, or does it only apply when the cardholder is travelling on their own?
If departing Dublin follow the rules I have posted previously this should get you all together in the front of the cabin, certainly works for me and the girlfriend. Everyone with Silver or better gets the same deal

Beyond Dublin no hope really

Policy is to seat everyone on the same reservation (regardless of status) together as far as is practicable and the computer will try its best

Since you are concierge call the magic number and ask for seat allocation, free seat choice was supposed to be in the program but hasn't been implemented yet
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:10 am

OK great, thanks for the info!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.