Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Availability on United but not on Air Lingus site

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2022, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

I am completely new to Air Lingus. I do have some Avios on British Air.
we are looking at business class tickets from US to Europe. I see them being available on United but when I go to Avios site / air Lingus to see what the cost is it does not show any availability for this day.
I am a little puzzled as usually the partners get less availability than the airline itself.
Is it a normal behavior for Air Lingus to give more availability to its partners than having it themselves?
Old Oct 3, 2022, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by innajl
Is it a normal behavior
Yes....

for Air Lingus to give more availability to its partners than having it themselves?
...but that's a misinterpretation of what's going on.

There is no business class on shorthaul flights, so Avios will only ever show economy seats on Aer Lingus services when searching such routes.

Partners (such as United) have no such qualms about seating you in Economy for the shorthaul leg and selling it all as Business Class.

I would advise you to ring Avios and attempt to make a mixed-class booking (as this cannot be done on the website).
Old Oct 3, 2022, 2:20 am

I am completely new to Air Lingus. I do have some Avios on British Air.
we are looking at business class tickets from US to Europe. I see them being available on United but when I go to Avios site / air Lingus to see what the cost is it does not show any availability for this day.
I am a little puzzled as usually the partners get less availability than the airline itself.
Is it a normal behavior for Air Lingus to give more availability to its partners than having it themselves?
Yes this is normal it seems. However I have heard that sometimes that availability via United is phantom availability and will not allow you to book it. You can also check on BA for availability on EI they might have some mystery extra seats available not on the avios site.
Billiken likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mccartje
Yes this is normal it seems. However I have heard that sometimes that availability via United is phantom availability and will not allow you to book it. You can also check on BA for availability on EI they might have some mystery extra seats available not on the avios site.
thank you for the tip. I will call United first before moving my UR points there to make sure the seats are real

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.