Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?

When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?

Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:05 am
ECR

Originally Posted by Tom_IE
If the JV goes through does that mean that you could be able to earn BA tier credits for any EI flights?

Usually get around 1,250 EI tier credits from UK regional flights from DUB and wondering if I would get more long term value from BA gold membership.
It is hard to know what will happen. BA could offer tier points on EI flights at the moment if they wanted to do so, but they don't. There are already precedents, for example, Qantas give status credits in their scheme on Jetstar flights even though Jetstar is not in oneworld. It is not on the cheapest Jetstar fares though, so that might be a clue as to what could happen with EI in the BA scheme.

It could also be that if tier points are offered they may be restricted to the joint venture routes only.

IAG took over EI some time ago, but as far as I can see there is no more recognition of BA status on EI than there was before, and no recognition of EI status on BA at all.

If they do start giving tier points on BA for all EI flights though I would start flying EI a lot more. At the moment I would pay a good bit more for a BA flight than an EI one. To be honest I would me more likely to even take a Ryanair flight if it was cheaper than the EI flight. The availability of BA tier points would change that.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:48 am

If the JV goes through does that mean that you could be able to earn BA tier credits for any EI flights?

Usually get around 1,250 EI tier credits from UK regional flights from DUB and wondering if I would get more long term value from BA gold membership.
Not necessarily, tier point earning will likely only happen if EI join oneworld (probably as connect partner if at all). Will probably be a while anyway before the JV will get approved and in place anyway. So for now only way to earn BA tier points on EI is to book EI flights using a BA codeshare.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:03 pm
ECR

Originally Posted by mccartje
So for now only way to earn BA tier points on EI is to book EI flights using a BA codeshare.
Unfortunately though booking an EI flight as a BA codeshare seems to generally involve paying quite a bit more, especially as I don't think hand baggage only fares are sold on BA codes.
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:09 am

Not necessarily, tier point earning will likely only happen if EI join oneworld (probably as connect partner if at all). Will probably be a while anyway before the JV will get approved and in place anyway. So for now only way to earn BA tier points on EI is to book EI flights using a BA codeshare.
If you book an EI flight that has a BA code share but book through EI I presume that doesn't count
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
If you book an EI flight that has a BA code share but book through EI I presume that doesn't count
Correct, no TP’s unless you are booked on the BA code.

That will change when EI joins the JV, but how it will work hasn’t been disclosed. EI might join OW as full, or connect members. Or it might just be reciprocal earning/burning/recognition across BA/AA/IB/AY. Even then it might be limited to just Trans Atlantic routes.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:41 am
ECR

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
Even then it might be limited to just Trans Atlantic routes.
Obviously none of us yet know what might happen, but sadly I think this is the most likely outcome.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by BrianDromey

Correct, no TP’s unless you are booked on the BA code.

That will change when EI joins the JV, but how it will work hasn’t been disclosed. EI might join OW as full, or connect members. Or it might just be reciprocal earning/burning/recognition across BA/AA/IB/AY. Even then it might be limited to just Trans Atlantic routes.
Indeed, fun to speculate on what might happen though. I'm going to be optimistic and say EI will become a connect member.....just not saying when.
DELLAS and ASHFlyer like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Why do people think there is a business case for EI to become a oneworld connect member if there isn't a business case to join oneworld as a full member?

Even if it may make sense for an unaligned airline like Fiji to join oneworld in this way - by helping them to "attract" new business from other oneworld members - it doesn't necessarily follow that it is worth the cost/effort for any other airline to do the same.

Aer Lingus already has "access" to some of the oneworld airlines, and partners with others outside of oneworld too, so doesn't need to go down that route.

And given that they can apparently join the TATL JV without becoming a oneworld member - which I had thought was a prerequirement for joining the JV - then I can see no business case whatsoever for EI to join oneworld.

If they get into the JV, then that's as much integration into oneworld as I think we can expect. [Given that the JV is metal neutral, then flyers in any of the associated airlines would earn miles/points for any such flights - but as others note above, I think it's unlikely that any other EI flights would earn in the other oneworld programmes. As others have noted, if BA (or IAG in general) wanted to give miles/points on EI flights, they already could]
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Why do people think there is a business case for EI to become a oneworld connect member if there isn't a business case to join oneworld as a full member?
You'll have to look at the differences between full membership and connect membership. For example, the Fiji Airways deal has very limited lounge access. You basically only get lounge access if you book as codeshare on the airline where you hold status. This means considerable savings for EI as they won't have to pay for a lounge in a lot of situations.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Some person
You'll have to look at the differences between full membership and connect membership. For example, the Fiji Airways deal has very limited lounge access. You basically only get lounge access if you book as codeshare on the airline where you hold status. This means considerable savings for EI as they won't have to pay for a lounge in a lot of situations.
That is certainly a topic of interest to frequent/premium flyers, but I doubt the issue of lounge access would feature anywhere on the list of reasons for EI to consider re-joining/not re-joining oneworld.

(Besides, once EI is admitted to the metal-neutral joint venture, all premium customers finding themselves on EI will have lounge access, and it is very likely that status flyers in economy will also find themselves with lounge access. Note that the application mentions co-location/terminal moves so in many cases this would probably end up being in BA/AA lounge anyway!)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28

Even if it may make sense for an unaligned airline like Fiji to join oneworld in this way - by helping them to "attract" new business from other oneworld members - it doesn't necessarily follow that it is worth the cost/effort for any other airline to do the same.

Aer Lingus already has "access" to some of the oneworld airlines, and partners with others outside of oneworld too, so doesn't need to go down that route.

And given that they can apparently join the TATL JV without becoming a oneworld member - which I had thought was a prerequirement for joining the JV - then I can see no business case whatsoever for EI to join oneworld.

If they get into the JV, then that's as much integration into oneworld as I think we can expect. [Given that the JV is metal neutral, then flyers in any of the associated airlines would earn miles/points for any such flights - but as others note above, I think it's unlikely that any other EI flights would earn in the other oneworld programmes. As others have noted, if BA (or IAG in general) wanted to give miles/points on EI flights, they already could]
I would have thought that some benefit would exist in EI frequent fliers choosing connect oneworld partners (both TATL and other routes) over other competitors. For example if an EI status hunter can't get a convenient TATL route with EI then they may pick the most convenient or cheapest alternative which may or may not be a JV partner but I imagine if those in the JV become oneworld connect partners then there is an added incentive to choose them and gain more EI status TPs, this benefits the JV as a whole obviously which filters down to all partners. Also I would think IAG would want to incentivise EI fliers into using BA and IB routes even further with being able to earn aerclub TPs on those routes (i'm thinking Asia and south america routes, ok there is the avios already in place, lets not get into avios relative value here).

Obviously this is mostly for frequent fliers and i'm not sure how far they contribute to a business case for adding oneworld connect membership to the JV inclusion, maybe it is negligible but I thought it must be some consideration for joining. Also I imagine the connect membership is easier (read cheaper) than a full one.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Judging by how Aer Club was set up and is run, I don't think the loyalty scheme and concerns about how Aer Club customers may be "driven" away, is exactly at the heart of everything EI does.

[While jetblue and United may not want to continue working with EI after they get absorbed into the oneworld JV, it would quickly become apparent to Aer Club members that notice or worry about such things that flying on the newly-available EI/AA tickets is more beneficial than flying on EI/UA or EI/B6 tickets. It would appear that, once in the JV, all and any such flights will become earning in Aer Club if only because the document talks about the start of codesharing on the other partners. Conversely, the document warns that EI and BA will have to stop codesharing if EI isn't admitted to the JV]

Besides, concerns about how Aer Club passengers earn on flights, whether operated by partners or codeshared or not, can be addressed by tweaking Aer Club so that Tier Credits (as well as Avios) are awarded on certain partner flights in certain cases; there is no need to actually join oneworld in order to amend Aer Club to be more "generous" (though joining oneworld would, of course, force them to start giving credits for all flights on all oneworld airlines, and not just on the tickets that EI themselves sold or on tickets where EI will get a share of the revenue from as part of the expanded TATL JV. This is something that I don't think Aer Lingus actually wants to do, though).
ASHFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:16 am

I wonder if the new CEO coming over from BA (he is Irish) will be more positive towards joining oneworld, could be a deciding factor if the bottom line doesn't swing too much one way or the other.
ASHFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
I wonder if the new CEO coming over from BA (he is Irish) will be more positive towards joining oneworld, could be a deciding factor if the bottom line doesn't swing too much one way or the other.
the new EI ceo was "in charge of British Airways’ network and fleet planning and airline partnerships / alliances" - so you'd assume he was favourably disposed towards EI joining OW ... even if in the end the numbers stop it happening.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...eo-875298.html
ASHFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:56 am

Aer Lingus applies to join the TATL joint venture

Story here: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...ture-1.3770986

Aer Lingus as formally applied to join the American Airlines, British Airways, Iberian and Finnair trans-atlantic joint venture. Doesn't mean they'll be rejoining One World however.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.