Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA
[deleted]

Last edited by chrisremo; Nov 16, 2017 at 8:52 pm Reason: Whoops, duplicated content
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by irishguy28
QUOTE=Dambus;29065882]
The Irish Independent article linked above says the business case still needs to be built which presumably means EI have not formally asked to join OW and are not in the pipeline. Even if they applied tomorrow if would take 12-18 months to line everything up to become a member.
It also says " However, Mr Kavanagh said that Aer Lingus continues to work towards joining the existing alliance between British Airways and American Airlines. "

The article is a bit schizophrenic.

Aer Lingus can't join the JV before being admitted into oneworld. (It's a legal requirement; if they could join the JV without alliance membership, they would almost certainly be in the JV, and not bother with the alliance at all).

And, strictly speaking, there is no real impediment to greater "reciprocal arrangements" between EI and at least BA - they are both owned by the same company, and would therefore presumably not face any legal or regulatory impediment to enhanced frequent flier recognition...[/QUOTE]

OK as a UK/Ireland based AA Advantage member I've been holding my breath for some time now. Reciprocal with AA would be nice, but actually, Im a bit beyond caring any more. Lingus offer a good alternative to BA for many IRL EU connections and DUB is a pleasure to use compared to its London equivalent, but really, flying aint what it used to be. Just flew on Norwegian to BFS, my days on *OW may be fading.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Agree it looks less and less likely.

IAG is operating a variety of airlines these days:
BA, Iberia, OpenSkies, Aer Lingus, Level, Vueling, BA Cityflyer, Iberia Express

And has affiliates including Air Nostrum and Comair SA, Sun-Air Scandanavia
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: BAEC, AerClub
Originally Posted by IRISHFLYER1
I'm a Dublin based Gold (Top level) with BA, want to know when I can credit my Aer Lingus fights to the BA program, both AVIOS and Tier points.
I'm in the same position, and it would make it an awful lot easier to retain Gold, if I could earn tier points for Aer Lingus flights, rather than just Avios.

On a side note, I have noticed on the last half dozen BA flights that I've flown recently, the cabin crew, when referring to "our OneWorld partners" also mentioned Aer Lingus. Maybe they know something management doesn't?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by FinnRolo
On a side note, I have noticed on the last half dozen BA flights that I've flown recently, the cabin crew, when referring to "our OneWorld partners" also mentioned Aer Lingus. Maybe they know something management doesn't?
In my experience, they always do that when there are EI-codeshare pax on board.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jun 4, 2018 at 6:22 am
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
With Fiji Airways joining as a Oneworld Connect partner, perhaps the same might happen with Aer Lingus?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:33 am
ECR

Originally Posted by ringingup
With Fiji Airways joining as a Oneworld Connect partner, perhaps the same might happen with Aer Lingus?
Unfortunately I don't think Aer Lingus are interested in joining Oneworld at all. This new Oneworld Connect option would certainly provide them with an easier and presumably cheaper route though if they were. They certainly won't have difficulty finding the required three sponsors with IAG owning British Airways and Iberia, and Qatar being a major shareholder in IAG.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
Originally Posted by ringingup
Great minds think alike, here's hoping
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: Marriott Plat., DL/AA/BA
Is the issue that EI does not offer a front cabin on most narrow body planes? Maybe the concept of a global alliance is a bit archaic when your main competitors are Ryanair and Norwegian?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:06 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by shuttle_boy
Is the issue that EI does not offer a front cabin on most narrow body planes? Maybe the concept of a global alliance is a bit archaic when your main competitors are Ryanair and Norwegian?
no, they just don’t want to spend the money on the IT.

Although at this stage you would wonder why there is not an overall IAG platform. IB is useless also.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by soy
no, they just don’t want to spend the money on the IT.

Although at this stage you would wonder why there is not an overall IAG platform. IB is useless also.
Pretty much. It was one of the factors as to why they left oneworld right before the three new airlines joined. It would have been costly for them to make their systems talk to the new airlines coming in.

Oneworld connect will get them I expect, which hopefully will mean reciprocal benefits on British Airways, Cathay Pacific and Qantas at the very least. They still have relationships with these three anyway.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
IF they join as a oneworld connect partner, I would rather suspect sponsors would be BA, AA, AY and IB because of the TATL joint venture.
mccartje likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flip42
IF they join as a oneworld connect partner, I would rather suspect sponsors would be BA, AA, AY and IB because of the TATL joint venture.
The only stipulation for membership that I can see is that a minimum of 3 oneworld airlines must sponsor the connect partner. CX and QF have been involved in the sponsorship of Fiji Airways and still maintain a relationship with EI all these years later. Im sure BA and IB would sponsor and AA pebbly will too - but they aren't hugely keen on admitting EI to the JV. AY was one of the reasons EI left oneworld the first time round, to be sponsored by them now would be ironic. Certainly, sponsors would be BA, IB, CX and QF, AA are likely in the JV context and AY possible.

I wonder if Vueling/LEVEL might also become connect partners?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Well, there's the JV paperwork... https://onemileatatime.com/aer-lingu...joint-venture/
JDIRL and mccartje like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:01 am

If the JV goes through does that mean that you could be able to earn BA tier credits for any EI flights?

Usually get around 1,250 EI tier credits from UK regional flights from DUB and wondering if I would get more long term value from BA gold membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.