Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Flying on one of the new EI routes (BDL-DUB) soon. Had credited the flight to UA thinking that it would accrue miles of one kind or another; turns out now that it won't. Just checked AA and here, and no OneWorld either. I see Avios on the EI web site; is that the only earning option? Sorry for the newbie question but there's minimal info on the EI site.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
You can also earn in British Airways, Cathay Pacific and Qantas - as well as on United - but you would need to check each programme's earning table for whatever fare class your EI ticket is booked in. If you're on a cheap economy ticket that doesn't earn on UA chances are the same will be true of the others. The BA earning table for EI is here.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eiflyer
Any idea when Aer Lingus flights will start to earn avios and tier points?
It's kind of sad that, almost 2 years after the time of asking, it doesn't look as if we are any closer to earning Tier Points! Or rejoining oneworld!

They still don't have a fully-functioning AerClub in place!!
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
It's kind of sad that, almost 2 years after the time of asking, it doesn't look as if we are any closer to earning Tier Points! Or rejoining oneworld!

They still don't have a fully-functioning AerClub in place!!
Yeah won't hold your breath on this one...doubtful it will happen anytime before 2020
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by Drums
Yeah won't hold your breath on this one...doubtful it will happen anytime before 2020
Agree. I'm actually starting to wonder if it will ever happen. If it would help generate more money for EI you would assume they would have done it quicker.

I also wonder whether with competition from Norwegian etc the transatlantic market is changing. If the marked is increasingly being defined by price, I expect that EI would aim to exclude unnecessary costs that they don't think will contribute to the bottom line.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:45 am
ECR

I certainly get the impression that EI aren't really all that interested in joining oneworld.

It is two years since the IAG takeover and there is little by way of integration within IAG nevermind oneworld. You can't earn tier points for EI flights in BA Executive Club or Iberia Plus, or indeed even earn tier credits in AerClub for BA or IB flights. They will however let you book some EI flights as BA codeshares at very high prices.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by ECR
I certainly get the impression that EI aren't really all that interested in joining oneworld.

It is two years since the IAG takeover and there is little by way of integration within IAG nevermind oneworld. You can't earn tier points for EI flights in BA Executive Club or Iberia Plus, or indeed even earn tier credits in AerClub for BA or IB flights. They will however let you book some EI flights as BA codeshares at very high prices.
To be honest Aer Lingus never do anything quickly. Its a culture thing. Just look back at their history over the last few decades and there is a pattern. Yes they have finally grasped technology albeit a lot more to do. They have also embraced social media quite well but when it comes to implementing things there is still a bit of the old state airline attitude within the ranks.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: Aerclub
https://www.hospitalityireland.com/a...oneworld/51947 Is this a surprise ?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mumha abu
The article states that Stephen Kavanagh says that Aer Lingus has no plans to join oneworld soon.

It's clear they are not going to be in oneworld soon. However - and note that this is not what the article states - it would be a surprise if IAG had decided not to have Aer Lingus re-join oneworld. It was part of their strategy for Aer Lingus and it is not Stephen Kavanagh's decision alone. [The decision to rejoin comes from IAG, not from Aer Lingus themselves. This always was, and remains, the case]
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:59 am

EI will still join OW . Maybe not as soon as most would have hoped but it will come.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: EI AC Silver, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mumha abu
For completion here is the Indo original article that the above link references https://www.independent.ie/business/...-36320589.html
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by MBDublin
For completion here is the Indo original article that the above link references https://www.independent.ie/business/...-36320589.html
This seems to imply that EI is still joining the Trans-Atlantic Joint Venture (Revenue Sharing) with BA/AA/IB, even though they are not pursuing entry into OW .
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DELLAS
EI will still join OW . Maybe not as soon as most would have hoped but it will come.
I hope you are right.

The Irish Independent article linked above says the business case still needs to be built which presumably means EI have not formally asked to join OW and are not in the pipeline. Even if they applied tomorrow if would take 12-18 months to line everything up to become a member.

If EI does join the JV sooner than that then there may at least be some reciprocal arrangements with BA/AA (although I wouldn’t bank on it!)
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QUOTE=Dambus;29065882]
The Irish Independent article linked above says the business case still needs to be built which presumably means EI have not formally asked to join OW and are not in the pipeline. Even if they applied tomorrow if would take 12-18 months to line everything up to become a member. [/quote]

It also says " However, Mr Kavanagh said that Aer Lingus continues to work towards joining the existing alliance between British Airways and American Airlines. "

The article is a bit schizophrenic.

Originally Posted by Dambus
If EI does join the JV sooner than that then there may at least be some reciprocal arrangements with BA/AA (although I wouldn’t bank on it!)
Aer Lingus can't join the JV before being admitted into oneworld. (It's a legal requirement; if they could join the JV without alliance membership, they would almost certainly be in the JV, and not bother with the alliance at all).

And, strictly speaking, there is no real impediment to greater "reciprocal arrangements" between EI and at least BA - they are both owned by the same company, and would therefore presumably not face any legal or regulatory impediment to enhanced frequent flier recognition...
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Yeah the lack of progress is very disappointing. I for one have booked with AA & BA for my upcoming trips to US purely due to this. t
Me too, flying to Chicago with colleague via Heathrow in January. This is crazy, but need the Tier points. Also lack of Premier economy product for Westward journey a draw back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.