Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

New product to be launched ''Aer Space'' UK and European routes.

New product to be launched ''Aer Space'' UK and European routes.

Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Priority baggage" that's better than BA
Old Apr 10, 2016, 3:36 am

Programs: KLM Elite for life; LH Senator for life
status implementation 'Aer Space'

In July 2015 Aer Lingus announced the launch of a new business class product - called Aer Space - on its European network.
Can anybody give an update of the implementation of Aer Space as of April 2016?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:58 am

Not a word uttered since. I suspect the change in ownership may have affected the roll-out plans.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Yes the project seems to be on hold currently.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by soy
I would imagine a cautious and phased roll out. First LHR and maybe AMS followed closely by CDG, FRA and BRU.
If they all work, you could see it expanded elsewhere. I would be surprised to see it roll out across the entire network (minus the obvious leisure destinations) at once.
I would imagine they would launch it on all routes and tailor the size of the Aer Space cabin depending on the demand for it, similarly to BA's Club Europe product - if there's no demand on the route, the Aer Space cabin won't be set up. Both use economy seats, just blocking out the middle seat and putting up a curtain depending on how many are booked on to the specific flight.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk Flyingeagle11.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: IHG, American Advantage
"Aer Space" -- DUB - LHR?

Hello,

I am considering booking Aer Lingus (BDL-LHR) in J, connecting in DUB. While I understand that EI doesn't have a true business class on the DUB - LHR route, I have read about their new model, Aer Space. My questions for the group are:
1) Has EI implemented Aer Space on the DUB-LHR route, and
2) As a passenger traveling in J on a transatlantic route, will I automatically be booked in Aer Space on my connecting flight to LHR?

Thank you so much!
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: EI AC Silver, BAEC Gold
AerSpace while announced by EI as a short haul European business class offering never got off the ground for some reason-Maybe due to the IAG takeover?

The Dub- Lhr route is currently being marketed as AerBridge but this does not reflect any on -board configuration as all EI short haul is Economy. Maybe this will change when AerClub is eventually launched but I doubt it will anytime in the near future.

Last edited by MBDublin; Oct 10, 2016 at 12:38 pm
Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: IHG, American Advantage
Thanks, MBDublin. Much appreciated!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Ivory (no more AF), Accor Plat, VS Silver, HH Gold
Does it offer you the option to have DUB -LHR on BA metal? If so then I would expect these to book into Club Europe which is J albeit only middle seat and better F&B.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:55 pm

Aer Lingus - Aer Space

does anyone remember the "Aer Space" plan talked a few months ago (Q4 2015)?

Heard from someone who works in the aviation industry that with Aer Club / re-joining oneworld in 2017, we would see Aer Space being finally happening in 2017??? I doubt it a bit once this means -2 middle seats sold per head. unless they would find the revenue on the price for this "business class".

Also heard again another topic commented here long ago which never happened: that EI would overnight again their aircrafts on some other european cities a part from LHR to feed their long haul routes? I think this wouldn't happen because they can already manage to feed these flights with their short haul schedules departing from dublin once their long haul is mainly after 12AM and also that would cost a lot to keep flight crew away and park the aircraft in another airport?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some further comment came out about this during the IAG shareholders' meeting last November. The transcript is now, at last, available. Mr Kavanagh, the CEO of Aer Lingus, gave the following insight into Aer Lingus's position on premium short haul:
Stephen Kavanagh: Just to confirm that, we do not have that level of absolute demand that justified the reinstatement of a cabin, but what we are looking is something that Vueling has done with the seat free in the first number of rows. It is a proxy for a cabin but without for us the complexity or the cost, and the yield expectations are moderate in that regards. I think it is a case of cutting one’s cloth. What is appropriate for BA is obviously a different demand environment in the London market. I can see, obviously, with flow onto long-haul services, consistency in business product, is of real value. That is just not appropriate for the Aer Lingus market. We are looking to differentiate and segment just in different ways.
The complete transcript may be read here: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...55959849748487
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Stephen Kavanagh: Just to confirm that, we do not have that level of absolute demand that justified the reinstatement of a cabin, but what we are looking is something that Vueling has done with the seat free in the first number of rows. It is a proxy for a cabin but without for us the complexity or the cost, and the yield expectations are moderate in that regards. I think it is a case of cutting ones cloth. What is appropriate for BA is obviously a different demand environment in the London market. I can see, obviously, with flow onto long-haul services, consistency in business product, is of real value. That is just not appropriate for the Aer Lingus market. We are looking to differentiate and segment just in different ways.
[/url]
Which begs the question why did they not know this when they announced the launch of AerSpace in July 2015. It doesn't reflect well on the management when approximately 1 year later they are stating why the original planed AerSpace product is now not justified.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
But EI never referred to AerSpace as a "business cabin" or a "business offering".

Nothing in that statement represents any change from the originally-disclosed details about AerSpace. His comments just illustrate to an IAG audience that it is not going to be an Aer Lingus version of "Club Europe", which most of that audience would imagine, when hearing the term "business class" in relation to shorthaul. (That said, the only real difference between Club Europe and AerSpace would appear to be just a curtain)
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Aer Space details :

Originally Posted by irishguy28
But EI never referred to AerSpace as a "business cabin" or a "business offering".

Nothing in that statement represents any change from the originally-disclosed details about AerSpace. His comments just illustrate to an IAG audience that it is not going to be an Aer Lingus version of "Club Europe", which most of that audience would imagine, when hearing the term "business class" in relation to shorthaul. (That said, the only real difference between Club Europe and AerSpace would appear to be just a curtain)
I think that the AerSpace as described in the EI press release above is now very different to what is being described by SK. I think we will see a very watered down version of the original offer and possibly on only a few routes. Also note that the original text that stated this was based on a deep research programme!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.