Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

New product to be launched ''Aer Space'' UK and European routes.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New product to be launched ''Aer Space'' UK and European routes.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2022, 3:07 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Originally Posted by truncated
I booked AerSpace on DUB-LHR for next month but it looks like the flight just got switched from an A321neo to an A320, and since we're going from 16 seats to 4 I suspect I'm getting downgraded (currently unable to view the seat map or select seats). If that's the case would I qualify for EU261, and any advice on how best to approach this?
For a change of aircraft? Do you mean a refund or actual compensation?

Don’t think you’ll be entitled to either.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by alserire
For a change of aircraft? Do you mean a refund or actual compensation?

Don’t think you’ll be entitled to either.
If they don't get a seat in AerSpace on the A320 they should definitely be entitled to a refund or compensation.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Is AerSpace a better product than Advantage? To my mind it should be.
Yet on many LHR BHD flights it's priced at less than Y Plus.

Old Jul 9, 2022, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by VG31
If they don't get a seat in AerSpace on the A320 they should definitely be entitled to a refund or compensation.
Well all AerSpace fares are eligible for a refund. But compensation because of a change of aircraft? That’s off the wall stuff

Edit: Also, my last two flights to LHR I was the only one in the front row. No guarantee at all that poster will be downgraded.
irishguy28 likes this.

Last edited by alserire; Jul 9, 2022 at 7:54 am
Old Jul 9, 2022, 8:26 am

Well all AerSpace fares are eligible for a refund. But compensation because of a change of aircraft? That’s off the wall stuff

Edit: Also, my last two flights to LHR I was the only one in the front row. No guarantee at all that poster will be downgraded.
Obviously the OP can't get compensation merely for a change of aircraft. However their (perfectly valid) point was there are 16 AerSpace seats on the A21N but only 4 on the A320 so it is quite likely there will not be enough seats for everyone in AerSpace. The fact that they can't select a seat suggests that is what has most likely happened. In this case they should be due compensation for an involuntary downgrade.
truncated and ChurnieEls like this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 8:53 am

If the flight isn't full on the A320 they might have blocked the first four rows and kept the middle seat free, definitely not the A321 but normal for the A320.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sealink
Is AerSpace a better product than Advantage? To my mind it should be.
Yet on many LHR BHD flights it's priced at less than Y Plus.

Yes it is but its the way EI revenue management work but often very advantageous so dont knock it
Sealink and alserire like this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver

For the downgrade if I'm sat in economy instead — when I booked there were at least 6 seats taken in the 16 seat 321neo cabin and last I checked there are only 4 seats in AerSpace on the 320, so unless somehow 7 passengers can fit in them at least 3 are getting downgraded... Obviously wouldn't claim for anything if I end up in row 1 but numerically a downgrade is at least probable if not likely, and trying to understand what I'm entitled to (e.g. does EU261 apply) if that's the case

And the difference is were your flights originally scheduled as an A321neo (with 16 seats sold) and swapped to an A320 a month out, but if it's always been an A320 and they were only selling 4 seats max to begin with then of course no one will get downgraded
Old Jul 9, 2022, 1:55 pm

I’ve never heard of anyone getting compensation because of a seat change. At the end of the day AerSpace is not a business product so in theory there’s no downgrade as such. Can’t see any way you would get compensation. Aircraft changes and seat changes happen all the time and you often see a statement that seats assigned/purchased can be changed by the operator for operational reasons.

I’m not sure you’d be entitled to anything. Eu261 is about getting you to your destination on time in the main. AerSpace does allow for a refund if you want one. So I’d get in touch with EI if that’s your issue. Other than that I can’t see how 261 would apply.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:26 am

Does anyone know, if you cancel an AerSpace booking, how much they take from the refund for ‘fees’? And how long before the flight do you need to cancel?

Edit - I found the info. No need to reply.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:52 am

Actually this is very confusing. In checking two emails for recently purchased AerSpace fares it says no refund applies? Surely this can’t be right?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by truncated
I booked AerSpace on DUB-LHR for next month but it looks like the flight just got switched from an A321neo to an A320, and since we're going from 16 seats to 4 I suspect I'm getting downgraded (currently unable to view the seat map or select seats). If that's the case would I qualify for EU261, and any advice on how best to approach this?
I have just had the same but an automated email overnight with new seat 1F assigned .
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
I’ve never heard of anyone getting compensation because of a seat change. At the end of the day AerSpace is not a business product so in theory there’s no downgrade as such. Can’t see any way you would get compensation. Aircraft changes and seat changes happen all the time and you often see a statement that seats assigned/purchased can be changed by the operator for operational reasons.

I’m not sure you’d be entitled to anything. Eu261 is about getting you to your destination on time in the main. AerSpace does allow for a refund if you want one. So I’d get in touch with EI if that’s your issue. Other than that I can’t see how 261 would apply.
Relatively common occurrance on any of the US3 tbh.

I think its ridiculous that you're equating A321neo AerSpace as not being a business product when the hard product absolutely is and you'd have people that book the seat on that basis. Obviously buyer beware, but its poor form to tell pax to suck it up as you're suggesting.
Harper50505 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Relatively common occurrance on any of the US3 tbh.

I think its ridiculous that you're equating A321neo AerSpace as not being a business product when the hard product absolutely is and you'd have people that book the seat on that basis. Obviously buyer beware, but its poor form to tell pax to suck it up as you're suggesting.
To me it seems that even AerSpace on the A320 (middle seat blocked, free food item, lounge access, fast track security, books into a business booking class) is clearly a business product especially when compared to what other airlines offer in intra-Europe business, and so honestly I'm somewhat puzzled by posters on here calling it economy, and was hoping others who had similar experiences/downgrades would have data points as to whether EU261 applies and what happens in case of a downgrade. Unfortunately it looks like we've run into the apologists so it is what it is — still haven't heard anything from EI about a new seat assignment or anything so will update if they ever email me (or we'll see what happens in DUB in August)
Old Jul 11, 2022, 2:04 am

Upgrading and downgrading
1. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class higher than that for which the ticket was purchased, it may not request any supplementary payment.
2. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased, it shall within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), reimburse
(a) 30 % of the price of the ticket for all flights of 1 500 kilometres or less, or 17.2.2004 EN Official Journal of the European Union L 46/5
(b) 50 % of the price of the ticket for all intra-Community flights of more than 1 500 kilometres, except flights between the European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments, and for all other flights between 1 500 and 3 500 kilometres, or
(c) 75 % of the price of the ticket for all flights not falling under (a) or (b), including flights between the European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments.
That's the EU261 on downgrading so compensation is obviously applicable if downgraded. I guess aer lingus could argue that it is not a downgrade as it is an 'economy' class product. But clearly giving someone a non aerspace seat which is considered part of the fare (usually a premium fare) at purchase would constitute a downgrade of sorts. If no compensation was given and this was challenged in a court I would wager aer lingus would lose.

In my opinion in the A321neo to A320 DUB-LHR example and if this resulted in not getting row1 on the A320 a 30% of the ticket price compensation is fair, considering it is a specified benefit of that fare 'class'.

Last edited by mccartje; Jul 11, 2022 at 2:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.