Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Baggage fees whn Virgin and BA gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S

Ok slightly complicated one, I am both virgin and ba gold card holder.

I going to Orlando with BA, leaving from Dublin on April 12.

I fly Aberdeen to Dublin on the Friday night April 10.

These are 2 separate bookings, one direct with EI for the ABZ DUB one, other with opodo / ba for the orlando part.

So do I have to pay for a bag on the domestic part, given that I am continuing on with BA, and second part is do I get lounge access at Aberdeen as Virgin Gold on an EI ticket.

Be grateful for any pointers
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
ABZ DUB
Then
DUB - LHR - MCO 2 days later

Looks like you will have to pay up for the ABZ-DUB leg as it is not a back to back journey on 2 EI tickets.

EI does not grant any checked benefits to its own status holders

If you had booked say
ABZ DUB
+
DUB MCO on same day, EI would through check the bags and the TATL allowance would kick in and you probably could dodge the bag fee
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The baggage allowance on your Aer Lingus ticket was made clear to you at the time of booking your ticket. If you picked the Low fare type, you have no included baggage allowance. If you picked a Plus or Flex fare type, then you have a checked baggage allowance. Check your booking, and buy a baggage allowance online if needed.

Having a separate, unrelated booking on another airline on another date has absolutely no bearing on your Aer Lingus flight. Why would this "override" the baggage (or any other) restrictions on your ticket?

Having BA status, or Virgin status, makes absolutely no difference. Not even Aer Lingus status holders get extra baggage allowances. Virgin status is completely meaningless to Aer Lingus - they have no relationship. BA status is meaningless to Aer Lingus when it comes to baggage allowances. You will not have lounge access.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:04 am
Original Poster

OK appreciate the info, looks like its Ł 12 for the bag

OK for lounges from Dublin as have gold car and on ba metal, so just Aberdeen, so PP will have to come out the bag for that
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
To be a pendant, its also not domestic
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by colmc
yes I noticed that, but they charge it under their domestic tariffs
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Aer Lingus doesn't have a "domestic" tariff.

They separate their baggage fees into two classes: "Shorthaul/within Europe" and "Longhaul/Transatlantic".

Aer Lingus does not differentiate for the only domestic flight left - DUB to CFN. if you have to pay for a bag on this route, it attracts the standard shorthaul rate (though there is some differentiation within shorthaul; the longer routes (Mediterranean/North Africa/Canary Islands) have higher fees).
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
To be correctly pedantic, you can wear a pendant around your neck.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Mar 10, 2015 at 12:12 pm Reason: corrected "properly" to "correctly"
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
To be correctly pedantic, you can wear a pendant around your neck.
And "it's" takes an apostrophe when abbreviating "it is".
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
And to the OP, you do not get anything on Aer Lingus for Virgin status, any more than you can use a Tesco ClubCard in Sainsbury's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.