Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus IAG take over bid [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Aer Lingus takeover by IAG

Executive summary: Rumours of IAG (International Consolidated Airlines Group, British Airways, IAG Cargo, Iberia and Vueling - Link to Wikipedia article) interest in acquiring EI strengthened in December 2014, with refusals and objections by then 29% owner Ryanair, EI Board of Directors and some Irish government leaders (a 25% stake was held by the Irish government).

Aer Lingus, currently headed by CEO Stephen Kavanagh, was acquired by IAG for €1.36bn in 2015; IAG took full control of Aer Lingus on 02 Sep 2015.

Aer Lingus is working to join the oneworld airline alliance and plans to expand service to the U.S. later this year and next, CEO Stephen Kavanagh said Wednesday.

...Aer Lingus will strive to join the oneworld alliance that counts British Airways and American Airlines among its founding members.

“There are some advantages to joining the big-boys’ club,” Kavanagh said. While Avios will be a competitive tool, “ultimately, we believe that will result in our joining again oneworld,” he said.

Link
to USA Today article - 18 May 2016
Aer Lingus is on target to join the OneWorld alliance next year (2017), when it should also be able to benefit from BA's joint venture with American Airlines.

"The next big integration issue will be Aer Lingus coming into the joint business on the transatlantic. That will require some systems changes," said (IAG CEO) Mr Walsh.

Link to article in Independent - 30 Apr 2016
On 26 May 2015, after months of negotiations on a possible IAG takeover, the Irish government agreed to sell its 25% stake in the company. Ryanair retained a 30% stake in Aer Lingus which it agreed to sell to IAG on 10 July 2015 for €2.55 per share. In August 2015, Aer Lingus' shareholders officially accepted IAG's takeover offer. IAG subsequently assumed control of Aer Lingus on 2 September 2015.

Link to Wikipedia article about Aer Lingus
Print Wikipost

Aer Lingus IAG take over bid [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Not yet. When it's announced, there'll be something here: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews
and presumably here: https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-inf...r-lingus-news/
Old May 1, 2016, 12:38 pm

Little snippet on Oneworld:

Aer Lingus is on target to join the OneWorld alliance next year, when it should also be able to benefit from BA's joint venture with American Airlines.

"The next big integration issue will be Aer Lingus coming into the joint business on the transatlantic. That will require some systems changes," said Mr Walsh.
Aer Lingus on track for profit boost in 2016 says IAG boss Walsh
Old May 6, 2016, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Aer Lingus expansion at Dublin Airport could slow, warns IAG chief executive

Originally Posted by Irish Independent
Mr Walsh said that Aer Lingus is likely to launch at least one new transatlantic route from Dublin in time for summer 2017, as well as possible capacity increases on existing routes, but said that expansion plans are tempered by what he said are infrastructure issues at the airport.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:30 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
USA Today: Lingus CEO on U.S. growth plans, oneworld frequent-flier alliance

Originally Posted by USA Today - 18MAY16
Aer Lingus is working to join the oneworld airline alliance and plans to expand service to the U.S. later this year and next, CEO Stephen Kavanagh said Wednesday.

...Aer Lingus will strive to join the oneworld alliance that counts British Airways and American Airlines among its founding members.

“There are some advantages to joining the big-boys’ club,” Kavanagh said. While Avios will be a competitive tool, “ultimately, we believe that will result in our joining again oneworld,” he said.
I liked the part in the article about East Coast/Florida destinations. JAX perhaps? Maybe? *wishful thinking*
Old May 19, 2016, 1:48 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Well, MIA is an obvious choice once in OW and part of the JV.
Old May 19, 2016, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You missed the best part - one of the funniest misunderstood words I've ever seen in a news report (it can't be a typo):

Originally Posted by USA Today
Aer Lingus carried 11.5 million passengers during the year that ended in March across a network of 120 routes aboard 50 short-haul and 12 transplanted aircraft, Kavanagh said.

“I’d like to describe us as small, but perfectly formed and fit for purpose,” he said.
Old May 19, 2016, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You missed the best part - one of the funniest misunderstood words I've ever seen in a news report (it can't be a typo):
Autocorrected typo perhaps.
Old May 19, 2016, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
Autocorrected typo perhaps.
Perhaps - if that journalist has been writing previous articles about transplants, and therefore "transplant..." pops up as an option. When I type in "transa.." I get "Transavia" (Dutch LCC) - which is a word I have typed on that device on more than one occasion, so it has been learned, "Transatlantic" and "Transit".

I genuinely think this journalist just misheard Kavanagh's accent. Though - regardless of how the word got there - I find it funny that neither the journalist that wrote the article, or any copy editors that scanned the text, stopped to wonder about what such an unusual phrase meant, and what perhaps it should have been instead.
Old May 20, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA (ExPlat).DL,UA Hertz (Pres Circle); Avis (First), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by JAXBA
USA Today: Lingus CEO on U.S. growth plans, oneworld frequent-flier alliance

I liked the part in the article about East Coast/Florida destinations. JAX perhaps? Maybe? *wishful thinking*
Personally, I would love to see DFW - A major AA hub, and would give some alternative connection ability to LHR. DUB would be a much more convenient connecting point to a number of AA/BA destinations from Dallas.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeffhacker
Personally, I would love to see DFW - A major AA hub, and would give some alternative connection ability to LHR. DUB would be a much more convenient connecting point to a number of AA/BA destinations from Dallas.
What is the O&D traffic like on DUB-DFW?
Old May 21, 2016, 5:01 pm

I think they may consider DFW once EI is fully integrated into OW and they have an idea of how traffic flows go in terms of DUB as a hub for onward travel rather than just as a destination airport for tourists/business travelers to Ireland. I don't really see it working as an O&D route and the existing routes primarily from/to the East Coast seem sufficient to funnel US-based travelers to Ireland (I would bet that a significant % of that crowd are Irish-Americans who tend to cluster in the Northeast and Upper Midwest rather than the South/Southwest as well). Similarly I don't think there's any significant interest in Dallas on part of a typical U.S.-bound Irish tourist (New York, Boston and Florida probably dominate that).
Old May 22, 2016, 10:39 am

No way does DFW happen before MIA.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I think they may consider DFW once EI is fully integrated into OW and they have an idea of how traffic flows go in terms of DUB as a hub for onward travel rather than just as a destination airport for tourists/business travelers to Ireland. I don't really see it working as an O&D route and the existing routes primarily from/to the East Coast seem sufficient to funnel US-based travelers to Ireland (I would bet that a significant % of that crowd are Irish-Americans who tend to cluster in the Northeast and Upper Midwest rather than the South/Southwest as well). Similarly I don't think there's any significant interest in Dallas on part of a typical U.S.-bound Irish tourist (New York, Boston and Florida probably dominate that).
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
No way does DFW happen before MIA.
I agree.

I think O&D routes will be the priority for new launches. Only once those opportunities are saturated does it make sense to turn to feed-heavy routes.
Old May 22, 2016, 1:34 pm

I mean, MIA is obvious because there's O&D leisure traffic as well as the OW feed so you get the best of both worlds.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:09 pm

Aer Lingus is set to announce new trans-atlantic routes soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.