Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Does Aer Lingus Service Always Suck?

Old Apr 21, 14, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.

Just got to Dublin from JFK a couple days back. Does dinner service always take 3 hours and then another hour of random stuff like selling cigarettes before they turn the lights off for one hour to let people sleep before turning them back on to pass out crappy breakfast?
Old Apr 21, 14, 1:34 pm

The service can indeed be slow. The short flying time ( in relation to other TATL ) has to be taken into account but still Im sure things could be better organised to maximise lights out time.

Even in J I have rarely got more than 2-3 hours proper sleep. I would love to see a JFK-DUB day flight one day. Much better for the body clock.
Old Apr 21, 14, 8:07 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
This is unfortunately true of many TATL red-eye services on other carriers as well. BA, even on Sleeper Service flights, tends to be busy in the cabin two or three hours into the flight. I will say that other than that concern, my service on EI flights has been excellent.

I can't fault crew for attempting to comply with corporate policies regarding selling of certain services and items on aircraft that tend to be profit centers for the airlines. That's the fault of management not staff, but of course, the only representatives of EI (or any other airline) present when the policy is being executed are the front-line staff.
Old Apr 22, 14, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.
Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
This is unfortunately true of many TATL red-eye services on other carriers as well. BA, even on Sleeper Service flights, tends to be busy in the cabin two or three hours into the flight. I will say that other than that concern, my service on EI flights has been excellent.

I can't fault crew for attempting to comply with corporate policies regarding selling of certain services and items on aircraft that tend to be profit centers for the airlines. That's the fault of management not staff, but of course, the only representatives of EI (or any other airline) present when the policy is being executed are the front-line staff.
This is by far the shortest amount of time the lights have been off on a TATL flight (even adjusting for the fact that DUB is closer than many other locations in Europe) that I've ever been on or anyone I've spoken with.
Old Apr 23, 14, 6:55 am
R7U

Programs: TK Elite; HH Diamond; AA Plat; CC Gold
Originally Posted by saranyc View Post
Just got to Dublin from JFK a couple days back. Does dinner service always take 3 hours and then another hour of random stuff like selling cigarettes before they turn the lights off for one hour to let people sleep before turning them back on to pass out crappy breakfast?
I had the same issue when I flew from MCO to DUB. Aer Lingus food service always takes a lot of time.
Old Apr 23, 14, 2:22 pm

I flew BA/Delta for ages before switching to EI. I thought the exact same thing and have felt it every time that I have flown with them and compared them to the other airlines.

For me, it's the almost constant announcements. Drives me bananas! :P
Old Apr 23, 14, 8:57 pm
soy

Programs: various
For me there are only 2 options to fly TATL Eastbound in Y, and in order of perference......

1) Take the daytime flight via LHR (extra connection but no jetlag)
2) Check in, eat dinner, have a couple of drinks and go to sleep right away on plane (eye mask, ear plugs, inflatable pillow and window seat essential). Never ever stay awake for the meal service, and skip the breakfast offering also)
Old Apr 24, 14, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, AF, LH
I can think of no reason to travel EI other than because it's point to point.

I hate the attitude of crew who when they are not trying to figure out who you are, what company you're with, where did you stay in Manhattan etc are giving off loads of attitude as to how lucky you are to be in J.

Add in the necessary chats with their friends (aka off duty staff) and the really poor slopey 2x2x2 seats and you have the reason why I found connecting with BA in LHR was acceptable.
Old Apr 24, 14, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, AF, LH
And OP, no it doesn't always suck, just mostly.
Old Apr 24, 14, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Pogmothoin View Post

I hate the attitude of crew who when they are not trying to figure out who you are, what company you're with, where did you stay in Manhattan etc are giving off loads of attitude as to how lucky you are to be in J.

Add in the necessary chats with their friends (aka off duty staff) and the really poor slopey 2x2x2 seats and you have the reason why I found connecting with BA in LHR was acceptable.
I don't mind talking about my occupation, boring as it is, I'd put the FA to sleep!
Old Apr 24, 14, 1:56 pm

Programs: Aer Club Platinum, BAEC Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Flying Blue Gold
I generally find Aer Lingus service quite good, both on board and on the ground.

Recently I experienced an issue while making a booking on their web site, and queried this.

I received a very comprehensive response from the company, and it was clear that a lot of time was spent on investigating my query.

This speaks volumes for Aer Lingus' attitude to customer care.
Old Apr 24, 14, 2:21 pm

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
Originally Posted by Pogmothoin View Post

I have to say that I have never found the EI cabin crew to be particularly nosey. In most instances they will enter into a conversation if prompted to do by the passenger and I would say that they are just being polite. I take your point about the seat though and I look forward to the arrival of the new J cabin next year. I am a big fan of 64A and K with BA and have no problem routing through LHR if there is a 747 to take me to my final destination.
Old Apr 30, 14, 2:58 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Thread closed for review

starflyergold
Aer Lingus GC forum co-mod

Search this Thread
Search Engine: