Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Aer Lingus Bid to Upgrade Offer

Starting March 2014 Aer Lingus are offering a "bid to upgrade" offer for longhaul passengers.

Eligibility:

Only flights between Ireland, North America and Canada are eligible to be considered for an upgrade. Not all flights are automatically eligible for an upgrade. Eligible passenger will receive an email shortly after booking inviting them to make an offer.

Only bookings made via the Aer Lingus website, mobile app or via the Customer Contact Centre are currently eligible to make an offer to upgrade.

Full details are available here.
Print Wikipost

New: Make an offer to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: United
I recently purchased two low economy tickets from Shannon to Boston and got an offer to bid on an upgrade.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:29 am

Flying ORD -> DUB tomorrow, on the 8:45pm overnight flight. Bid $420 for an upgrade to business class and was denied. When I checked ExpertFlyer 3 days ago, business class was about 2/3 full, and economy was almost entirely full.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Pass
Hi all - just booked a flight EWR-DUB in July and my bidding option ranges from $370 - $1010. Going to submit something but how long does the airline typically wait to respond to your bid?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: Aer Club - Concierge. BA - Silver.
Hi elonepb, I've only used it once & I was notified within 2 weeks of the flight. I had bid low & was successful, I'm not sure if your bid level changes the notification time.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by Shamrock103
Hi elonepb, I've only used it once & I was notified within 2 weeks of the flight. I had bid low & was successful, I'm not sure if your bid level changes the notification time.
Great, thanks! When you say low, do you mean the lowest? Or you just bid in the lower range?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: Aer Club - Concierge. BA - Silver.
I think it was one up on the scale, from the lowest.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
DUB-BOS
Flex fare
EUR710 bid accepted T-72 (flight showing 3 Flex biz seats available for sale)
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
Just an FYI. It was last September

Bid $550 on MCO-DUB and was accepted.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: EI AC Silver, BAEC Gold
My Data point.

DUB-BOS end may. Originally low fare booked into E.
Bid €410 accepted T-72.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
DUB-EWR: From lowest economy ticket. Ł360 e/w to business. This is the lowest possible bid.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Tier points and avios

Aer lingus twitter have just informed me that I don't get any avios or extra tier points for my business class paid upgrade via bid. Has anyone else been told this? It's utterly appalling imo. I was going to switch my business to Aer Lingus but I doubt I will now.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by sarahluv
Aer lingus twitter have just informed me that I don't get any avios or extra tier points for my business class paid upgrade via bid. Has anyone else been told this? It's utterly appalling imo. I was going to switch my business to Aer Lingus but I doubt I will now.
Yes that is true. I think the reasoning is you are getting the upgrade at a discounted (likely heavily discounted) price so not due the upgraded tier points and avios. If you upgraded normally via purchase and not the bid process I believe you would get TPs and Avios. You will still get your original TPs and Avios linked to your paid economy fare.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by mccartje
Yes that is true. I think the reasoning is you are getting the upgrade at a discounted (likely heavily discounted) price so not due the upgraded tier points and avios. If you upgraded normally via purchase and not the bid process I believe you would get TPs and Avios. You will still get your original TPs and Avios linked to your paid economy fare.
That's pretty rubbish imo. BA give them to you on POUGs
Old May 23, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus
Hmmm, it would be great if they offered them but it does state the rules clearly under the FAQs...welcome to the World of being a second class citizen / frequent flyer!

I'm not familiar with the rules on BA but I know on EK you get very few benefits if you bid for an upgrade.
sarahluv likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: United MP, Virgin America Elevate, JetBlue TrueBlue
Seems like BA is generous with cash upgrades: Tier Points on Upgrades
Most airlines don't give extra tier or mileage points on paid upgrades. Those are typically based on booked fare class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.