Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus, ORK, SNN and DUB workers consider strike action for St Patrick's week

Aer Lingus, ORK, SNN and DUB workers consider strike action for St Patrick's week

Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/...-29924320.html

Trade union Siptu has agreed to start balloting on Monday for industrial action at Aer Lingus, the DAA and Shannon Airport.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:10 am

Just a scare tactic to give them more cards at the negotiation table. We are used to it in Ireland over the last few decades.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:11 pm
Used to be 'FTcadence'

Aer Lingus Workers Vote For All Out Strike

Union officials are announcing that the result of a recent vote is a near-unanimous decision to strike. The workers have been working unsuccessfully to resolve a pension dispute issue.

Staff at the airline have been unsuccessfully seeking to have their employer deal with the significant deficit in the Irish Airlines Superannuation Scheme (IASS) for several years.
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-29999991.html
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:50 pm

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
I know this ballot does not cover the pilots, but can anyone confirm what pension arrangements apply to pilots. I seem to recall that after 30 years service they are entitled to two-thirds of final salary but I could be wrong.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingPeanut
Union officials are announcing that the result of a recent vote is a near-unanimous decision to strike. The workers have been working unsuccessfully to resolve a pension dispute issue.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-29999991.html
If Aer Lingus loose money then it should be taken out of the wages and pension funds
Old Feb 11, 2014, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

It's also the airport staff now:

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...-29995617.html
Old Feb 13, 2014, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Yawn. Happens every year or two, and they march up to the top of the hill and back down again. Nothing to see here.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 2:00 pm

Fears of crippling strikes at country's main airports and Aer Lingus intensify

Fears of crippling strikes at the country’s main airports and Aer Lingus have intensified after trade unions vowed to coordinate any industrial action that may take place in coming weeks.
It has raised the stakes in a dispute that could result in St Patrick’s Day festivities being hit.

To date, only Siptu has balloted its members in a long-running dispute over a troubled pension scheme. Most of the 4,270 combined Aer Lingus, DAA and Shannon staff who are active members of the troubled Irish Airlines Superannuation Scheme (IASS) are represented by Siptu.

Those members have already voted in favour of both industrial and strike action, putting Dublin, Cork and Shannon airports, as well as Aer Lingus, on course for unrest. Siptu will be in a position next Wednesday to serve strike notice.

http://www.independent.ie/business/f...-30030956.html

When will these fools ever learn....
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:34 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by DELLAS

When will these fools ever learn....
^^ due to fly BOS-DUB and will be seriously p***d if this actually goes ahead.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by soy
^^ due to fly BOS-DUB and will be seriously p***d if this actually goes ahead.
A mate of mine said to me if this strike goes ahead then all the effected passengers should counter picket any picket from DAA/EI staff and flash mob their protest. This would create a lot more adverse publicity for the staff and Unions and further turn the public against them which is already at a high level. Im not usually in favour of things like this but I think its a good idea if they mess up the plans of hundreds of thousands.

Just when the country is getting back on its feet and needing the tourism and business generated by St Patricks festival these people from DAA/EI will be prepared to hurt the economy and their fellow citizens that for some are still close to make or break !
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
As I've said before, EI strikes invariably get called off a day or two beforehand. Nothing to see here.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:39 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by stifle
As I've said before, EI strikes invariably get called off a day or two beforehand. Nothing to see here.
ya, I know. however sooner or later one of these might actually stick. The fact that the DAA gang are also in on this one does give cause for a little more apprehension than is normal with these EI strike threats
Old Feb 24, 2014, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by soy
ya, I know. however sooner or later one of these might actually stick. The fact that the DAA gang are also in on this one does give cause for a little more apprehension than is normal with these EI strike threats
Yes very true. Whilst they have cried wolf more times than many of us would care to remember the damage it does each time is not to be underestimated. Already some people are looking at other options for the Paddys Day weekend.

For me and others around the border area we are thankful to have BHD / BFS as an alternative !
Old Feb 24, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: Aerclub
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Yes very true. Whilst they have cried wolf more times than many of us would care to remember the damage it does each time is not to be underestimated. Already some people are looking at other options for the Paddys Day weekend.

For me and others around the border area we are thankful to have BHD / BFS as an alternative !
I have an award flight booked for SNN/LHR/JFK with BA on the 13th March, should I be looking at alternatives?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Much too early yet for that.

What are your alternatives, anyway? Travel with Ryanair to Stansted or Gatwick and then schlep it over to Heathrow to pick up your BA flight? No point even thinking about that until the strike actually goes ahead. Which is, I think, unlikely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.