BOS-DUB or DUB-BOS using Avios

Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Flyfromscratch
How do I search for Air Lingus and book that with Avios ??
You cannot search. You can only ring BAEC and ask them to search, and book, for you.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:57 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by irishguy28
You cannot search. You can only ring BAEC and ask them to search, and book, for you.
Thanks mate.. as soon as I posted the question, I googled a little more and found this out..
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Be sure and ask them to waive the $25 phone fee since you cannot do this online.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: US GP, *G, HHonors Gold, SPG
Also slightly OT, but what is considered a safe connecting time in BOS? I've got connections to the shuttle to/from DCA on US that are about 1.5 hours each way. I assume this is not as much of an issue coming back from Ireland as a normal international flight since I can preclear in SNN.

Will 1.5 hours be safe? We are flying J, not checking luggage, and I have elite status on US to help expedite.

thanks
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by arrek
Also slightly OT, but what is considered a safe connecting time in BOS? I've got connections to the shuttle to/from DCA on US that are about 1.5 hours each way. I assume this is not as much of an issue coming back from Ireland as a normal international flight since I can preclear in SNN.

Will 1.5 hours be safe? We are flying J, not checking luggage, and I have elite status on US to help expedite.

thanks
Should be doable unless your flight is delayed. It's an easy 5-10 minutes (tops) walk through Central Parking garage, or you can take the Massport 55 shuttle bus on the arrivals level curbside.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arrek
How likely is there to be a delay to your flight? How long a delay might you expect to experience? Does a 90 minute buffer on separate tickets strike you as being something you can live with? How expensive/complicated would it be for you to arrive in BOS too late to take your booked flight - can you live with the risk (however large or small) that you may have to buy a ticket on the next flight at a walk-up rate on the day of departure? Would it not just be easier to book that next, later connection now to give you greater peace of mind? Could you not wangle your way onto standby if you got there in time for the earlier flight, waving your super-duper US status at the gate agents?

I flew out of Heathrow on a foggy morning 2 weeks ago, and my transatlantic flight was delayed (like all traffic) by well over an hour. We didn't make much (if any) of that lost time en-route.

Are you planning travel during fog/snow/storm/strike season???

Just so that you know - United flies direct from Dublin to Washington (Dulles).
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Question DUB Connection times?

How long do you have to give for connections assuming it is Aer Lingus to Aer Lingus but 2 separate tickets (Avois & $$)? Below are the scenarios.

1a) inbound DUB connecting to UK (e..g LHR)
1b) inbound DUB connection to EU continent (e.g. CDG)

2a) outbound DUB (going to USA) and coming in from UK (e.g. LHR/LGW)?
2b) outbound DUB (going to USA) and coming in from EU continent (e.g. CDG)

I assume in all cases you have to pick up luggage, go through immigration and back through security.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should not really transfer anywhere on separate tickets. Delays or irrops can't be predicted and the length of the delay can be wildly variable.

Rather than looking for minimum times, you should be maximising the time available for connections. Personally, when travelling on separate tickets, I always arrive at the point of departure of a long-haul flight the day before departure.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by wripro
Be sure and ask them to waive the $25 phone fee since you cannot do this online.
This isn't how it works. BA policy is not to charge a telephone booking fee when you are looking to do something that can normally be done online but can't be done right now because the site is borked. A fee is payable on things that can never be done online.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 11:12 am

How can you book an EI award ticket using BA Avios online? I tried, couldn't, had to call BA and they waived the fee.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by wripro
How can you book an EI award ticket using BA Avios online? I tried, couldn't, had to call BA and they waived the fee.
You can't. My point is that it is not BA policy to waive the fee for doing something over the phone that you always need to do over the phone. It does waive the fee if you are doing something over the phone that you normally can do online but can't do it right now.

If you benefitted from a fee waiver in other circumstances, that was good and lucky, but you should not expect this always to happen.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 1:32 pm

Maybe not. But I made two separate bookings for EI business class on the phone with BA and both times the fee was waived. Only speaking from personal experience.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The agents can exercise discretion, but all EI bookings made with BA are indeed subject to this fee. This advice of always demanding a waiver is therefore not cool.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
During the time when EI was in 1W, could it be booked online? If so why did they take away that option?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aer Lingus has no say in how partners make its flights available to their own fliers.

All partner bookings made via EI's programme have to be booked over the phone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.