Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus' new home at LHR T2

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Although EI moved to T2 today, the new Gold Circle Club is not open yet. I'm not sure when it opens - the website still says 'opening soon'. Unsure what temp arrangements are in place for lounge eligible pax (if any) - there are currently no lounges open in T2A.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Oh dear. Thanks for that!

I'll be in T2 myself this weekend, but unfortunately not going airside to have a look.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, IB Slvr, EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
I will not miss that "Irish mile" as someone cleverly dubbed it earlier. Now all I need is for BA to move and the commute will be so much easier.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cantillon
Heathrow Terminal 1: Aer Lingus customers may have had the unshakeable sense they were already so far west of London that they were actually in Cornwall.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:38 am

Programs: Aer Club Platinum, BAEC Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Flying Blue Gold
Thumbs up

On Wednesday 09th July 2014 Aer Lingus moved their operation from Heathrow Terminal 1 to Terminal 2. I wanted to visit London around this time, and decided to travel on that date, and see whether the much advertised enhancements would live up to expectations.

Newspaper advertising promised four main benefits arising from T2:

• Public transport within 15 minutes of landing
• Luxurious Gold Circle Lounge within minutes of check in
• State of the art facilities
• A seamless faster security and check in process.

In addition, I received SMS messages and emails from Aer Lingus reminding me of these enhancements.

I had used Aer Lingus 30 day advance check in facility, printed my boarding pass, and went directly to security. I arrived at 4.45am for my 6.40am flight, went directly to security, used the fast pass entry and was the only person there! I was airside almost immediately

Having reviewed aer lingus’ flights from Dublin on many occasions, I will refrain from so doing here, and simply mention that during the captain’s welcome announcement and that of the crew, further mention was made of this being the inaugural flight to Heathrow T2.

An on time push back meant we were airborne quickly, and landed in Heathrow just before 8.00am, and on stand in less than 5 minutes. It took a couple of minutes for the airbridge to be put in place, and I noticed a number of Heathrow managers meeting the flight.

The airbridge has full length windows, making the walk to the terminal very bright, and as a bonus there are great views for aircraft spotters! There is good signage directing passengers to the baggage hall which is tall, bright and makes much use of natural light. This is a factor of all areas of T2, and this alone makes a very pleasant change from the series of metal tubes also known as the green mile.

Another short walk, and I was leaving the Terminal building for the escalator to the London Underground station. Again, this is a short walk, well signposted, and takes far less time to reach than from T1.

Returning to Heathrow for my return flight, I arrived about 4.30pm for my 9.10pm flight. I allowed this much time for two reasons: possible security delays given the current circumstances, and I wanted to take the time to use the Aer Lingus lounge to sample the showers, write this report and rest my feet!

It is a short walk from the Underground to the departure area.

Aer Lingus share check-in desks and self service machines with other airlines in Area C, with security directly behind this area.

In T1, security staff scanned passengers boarding cards, took a photograph which was re-confirmed before entering the UK/Ireland departures area. In T2, this process is self service, and the secondary photographic check is at the boarding gate.

The security screening area is directly behind these cameras, and was very quiet. As with all public areas in T2, it is very spacious, and with plenty of natural light. I was quickly airside. Two points arise from the security process: it is a very short distance leaving the Underground station to reaching security. And equally importantly, the staff are very friendly indeed.

The security screening area leads to a mezzanine overlooking the departure lounge where there is a range of high end shops and plenty of restaurants to choose from. A glass wall gives good views of the apron, and there are plenty of seats. The terminal was relatively quiet, possibly because not all airlines have moved there yet.

There are many large information screens, giving details of flight departures and airline lounges….but no mention of the Aer Lingus lounge. I went to the boarding area (again very close by) and asked for directions. As it happened the person I spoke to was Aer Lingus’ station manager at T2, Ciaran McDonagh and he explained that the builders had not yet completed their work, and it would be another 10 days before completion. A member of the lounge staff was on duty at the door to the lounge issuing vouchers for use in any of the T2 restaurants. I mentioned that I had intended sampling the lounge facilities, and using some of that time to write a review. The prospect of spending a over two hours in the main terminal was daunting. Ciaran immediately offered a change to an earlier flight, which I gratefully accepted.

Given that the Dublin lounge had pictures of the new T2 Lounge on display, with the original opening date still clearly showing, I was a little surprised that the delayed opening hadn’t been fully communicated.

I then had a walk around the various restaurants, and indeed there are many to choose from. I decided to indulge in steak pie with mashed potato and gravy: nice comfort food. The cashier informed me that I had to use the voucher in one transaction, so I added a couple of bottles of beer to my tray.

My rebooked flight was 7.10pm, and I sat down to eat my meal, which proved tricky as it was served in a cardboard box. I then noticed that my flight was delayed until 7.40pm.

The boarding area is very close to the shops & restaurants. Each gate has two doors (A & B), which I assume allows access to the front and rear aircraft doors, thus speeding up the boarding process.

Gold Circle members were invited to board first. As usual the airbus 320 was immaculate, and passengers were warmly greeted. The supervisor, Deirdre, asked me how I found the T2 experience, and she was amazed to hear that the lounge was not yet open. The flight was completely full and the crew had a mammoth task in ensuring that all cabin baggage was stowed in the overhead bins.

The captain welcomed passengers and apologised for the delay (caused by the aircraft being delayed on an earlier flight). He outlined our route and expected flight time.

Cabin crew gave a safety demonstration, and I noted that during this, a couple of passengers were asked to stop talking. This was done discreetly, but it is refreshing to see that care is taken to ensure everybody can hear the safety announcement.

We landed in Dublin just before 9pm, and were on stand shortly afterwards. I was pleased to find that we had parked at the gate nearest the terminal building, and it was a short distance to passport control.

Conclusions

I wanted to be on the inaugural Aer Lingus flight from Dublin to Heathrow T2, I felt it was a small piece of history in the making. I was a little underwhelmed that there was little sense of occasion at the airport or on board, particularly in light of the many advertisements heralding the move to T2.

The key question is whethe the four main benefits as advertised actually materialize?

• Public transport within 15 minutes of landing:

o I made my way from the aircraft slowly so as to have a good look at the building, but given the shorter distances, 15 minutes is certainly doable.

• Luxurious Gold Circle Lounge within minutes of check in

o The lounge is almost beside the security area, and promises to be a great improvement over the old lounge. The floor to ceiling windows alone promise great views and will make it a very pleasant place to wait for a flight.

• State of the art facilities

o The new baggage hall, check-in area, public transport connections are excellent

• A seamless faster security and check in process.

o The new security staff are friendly, and the area is very large, so coping with increased passenger numbers should not be an issue

So three out of four were a definite yes, and I have little doubt that once operational, the new Gold Circle Lounge will be equally good.

Heathrow Terminal 2 is a vast improvement over it’s predecessor. The phased movement of airlines seems to be working very well, and I found it a pleasure to use. The security process, so long a bane of travelers using Heathrow, is particularly worthy of praise.

Aer Lingus now offer a much improved service on the Dublin London route, and once the lounge is open, will deliver a product for frequent travelers which greatly exceeds that of their competitor on this route.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the extensive review!

Originally Posted by pat jordan
The terminal was relatively quiet, possibly because not all airlines have moved there yet.
Not just possibly - definitely!!

Each gate has two doors (A & B), which I assume allows access to the front and rear aircraft doors, thus speeding up the boarding process.
And was that actually the case?

I can't imagine that they would use two jetbridges to board an A320, and assume that, rather, the gate used can also handle larger/widebody aircraft where mure than one jetbridge would be used.

The phased movement of airlines seems to be working very well, and I found it a pleasure to use.
Well, let's not forget that both Thai and Turkish airlines, who were due to move into T2 last week, decided only days before to remain in Terminal 3 for the rest of the summer, as a result of the baggage chaos that afflicted Heathrow 10 days ago.

Aer Lingus now offer a much improved service on the Dublin London route, and once the lounge is open, will deliver a product for frequent travelers which greatly exceeds that of their competitor on this route.
That may change in October, when BA moves its Dublin flights from T1 to T5!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: Aer Club Platinum, BAEC Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Flying Blue Gold
Irish Guy,

only the front door was used for boarding on this flight It may be the case that the second door at the gate is used for larger aircraft.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed. I had incorrectly assumed you thought Aer Lingus was going to use both doors!!!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Indeed. I had incorrectly assumed you thought Aer Lingus was going to use both doors!!!
That wouldn't be a bad idea if it could be done -- I'm not sure it can because I don't think the jetbridge can reach the rear door. Some LCCs do use both doors to board narrow bodies (using stairs rather than jetbridges). It greatly accelerates boarding and shortens the turnaround time.

You might think it's silly to do this on a narrowbody because it's a small plane but in fact there are two reasons why it's actually more important on narrowbodies rather than wide bodies.

a) Narrowbodies have a single aisle. So there are actually more seats boarding per row length of aisle on a 320 (6) than there are on a 777 (4.5). To make matters worse people sometimes cross over or pass their bag across on the widebody and that helps alleviate bottlenecks.

b) Narrowbodies are used on shorter flights so they spend more of their time proportionally on the ground. Turnaround times are absolutely critical for LCCs where they're often on the order of 20-40minutes. BA on the other hand typically has nearly 2 hours scheduled between flights.

I suspect you're actually both wrong about the "A" and "B" markings. I suspect it's so that they can park two small planes at a single gate. American airports often have two flights boarding from a single gate. It's a terrible idea that often leads to passengers on the wrong flights (including more than once unaccompanied minors) but I assume it saves significant costs somehow.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zkzkz
That wouldn't be a bad idea if it could be done -- I'm not sure it can because I don't think the jetbridge can reach the rear door. Some LCCs do use both doors to board narrow bodies (using stairs rather than jetbridges). It greatly accelerates boarding and shortens the turnaround time.
Aer Lingus often use both doors at Cork (with steps, not jetbridges).
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by zkzkz
That wouldn't be a bad idea if it could be done -- I'm not sure it can because I don't think the jetbridge can reach the rear door.
It requires a very substantial (expensive) structure to suspend the jetbridge over the wing - AMS is the only airport I've seen using that system.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/KLM--...06M/1384464/L/
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
The double door gates at T2 are for those gates that have three airbridges for A380 operations (and for other widebodies where two airbridges are used).

A380 stands at T2A can also be used by two narrowbodies at the same time instead, hence why there are two doors to be used as two separate gates.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Conclusions

I wanted to be on the inaugural Aer Lingus flight from Dublin to Heathrow T2, I felt it was a small piece of history in the making. I was a little underwhelmed that there was little sense of occasion at the airport or on board, particularly in light of the many advertisements heralding the move to T2.

Hi Pat thanks for your review. I would have thought Aer Lingus would make more of an effort at the gate with special cakes and balloons etc... It seems they still don't get the importance of taking any chance you can in getting good PR. Despite advances in social media and being a bit more professional they need to grasp the importance of making the most out of such events.

The GC lounge is a major disappointment and it must have been such for you considering it was part of the trip. Nothing worse than advertising something as 9th July then not delivering. Still whats done is done and Im sure once its open it will be a pleasant area to wait and relax.

As stated I think once BA go to T5 it will come down to food and drink options in the lounges that will count. Don't forget BA Golds get F Class lounge access from October so BA will have the upper hand here. Full hot meals and premium champagnes and wines. That coupled with a Business Class ( Club Europe ) across the Irish sea with meal service incl champagne. Still Aer Lingus is pretty decent for a LCC and it will be interesting to watch them over the next few years in which direction they take.

Personally with regards to GC members I would like to see free seat selection and a 25KG bag on UK/Euro routes. Aer Lingus really need to reward loyalty more. Again something that sets BA apart from EI .
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:38 pm

Aer Lingus T2 Heathrow.

Hi there. I just flew out of the new Aer Lingus terminal at Heathrow, T2. It's a vast improvement, albeit that there's a VERY long walk from the Heathrow Express to the actual terminal itself. However the Aer Lingus Gold Circle lounge wasn't opened and instead, members were given a voucher to use at the food court. Anyone know when the Gold Circle lounge here will open? I've emailed Aer Lingus, but no response. Huge thanks.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Since your post appears to do strictly with Aer Lingus, it's been moved to that airline's dedicated forum, which you'll see is listed under the Airlines and Mileage Programs forum category.

NOTE: This thread originated at the flame-free Information Desk — please reply accordingly.

Thanks everyone.

~Moderator, Information Desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.