Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus' new home at LHR T2

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA, EI, UA
Originally Posted by Dan1113
A driving license only proves you are a resident, not a citizen, of the UK/IE (as any permanent resident can get one) so technically the only way to prove eligibility for the CTA is a passport, ironically enough. Not that this is checked usually of course.

Aberdeen Airport seems to check every single arrival from Dublin, no idea why (police does it instead of border force). I've enquired about it before and was told that a check is allowed if the police requests it for individual flights, and Grampian Police would request it on a daily basis. Maybe that has changed now that we have Police Scotland instead.
Driving license includes place and date of birth which is viewed by the authorities as sufficient evidence of entitlement to use the CTA. I suspect the checks in Aberdeen are a hangover from the troubles.

Last edited by GoldCircle; Jul 30, 2013 at 5:30 pm Reason: Posts merged
Old Aug 3, 2013, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold,HH Gold, Flying Club Gold, SAS Gold
new lounge

Too much to expect showers I suppose. But I hate not being able to use arrivals lounges after long haul flight especially when I have a long layover (which is normally the case). Going through border controls and back in is a pain.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
There are no long-haul EI flights arriving at LHR...the DUB lounge has showers.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Gold,HH Gold, Flying Club Gold, SAS Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
There are no long-haul EI flights arriving at LHR...the DUB lounge has showers.
Ah yeah I know that but I travel with BA normally and they codeshare with EI (to ORK) who then allow access to lounge for silver members so when I am returning home I go to gold circle lounge to wait

Slightly off topic but it drives me nuts that I cannot use EI for longhaul as they have no connection to ORK. I can do ORK-LHR, ORK-AMS or ORK-CDG but cannot do ORK-DUB, it is daft!

Does anyone know what is the plan for T1 once move to T2 is completed?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebouncer
Ah yeah I know that but I travel with BA normally and they codeshare with EI (to ORK) who then allow access to lounge for silver members so when I am returning home I go to gold circle lounge to wait
BA silver and golds get EI lounge access at DUB, ORK and LHR when flying on Aer Lingus flights between these points (not on EI flights to any other destination).

I don't know whether Aer Lingus will have their own lounge in T2 or if they will use someone else's, but if it's a Gold Circle lounge, it will be catering to a short-haul crowd and won't have showers.

Originally Posted by thebouncer
Does anyone know what is the plan for T1 once move to T2 is completed?
T1 will be demolished to make way for new buildings.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Aer Lingus will have their own lounge at T2 but may share it with selected partners with agreements but it will be EI GC branded.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Aer Lingus will have their own lounge at T2 but may share it with selected partners with agreements but it will be EI GC branded.
Interesting!

As it's going to be a Star Alliance terminal, I wonder if they will have one mega-sized Star Alliance branded lounge (similar to what they have in T1, but larger) or if some of the individual airlines will want to have their own lounges, too.

As the only other airlines in T1 will be Virgin Little Red and germanwings, perhaps there won't be many airlines needing to use an Aer Lingus lounge if they can instead go with a Star Alliance branded lounge.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
If the UK agreed to fully implement Schengen [and Ireland would in a heartbeat, it's the UK's reluctance that held us back from doing so], it would effectively amount to the expansion of the CTA to include all the other Schengen member states, and not just Ireland. Or you could view it as the "merger" of the CTA with the current Schengen area.

As you say, the CTA has worked well over the decades - so why not EXPAND it?

I can't see how the average traveller would not see that as a good thing - particularly given that it would remove the need for any immigration checks for the vast majority of passengers arriving at Irish airports (given that the burden of being the gatekeeper of the "back-door" to Britain is removed for all arrivals from the majority of Europe). But although the UK apparently trusts Ireland enough to enforce its border sufficiently for their liking, they apparently are not willing to trust their European partners to the same extent.
The only problem is that under Schengen, you get to enter the entirety of the EU for 3 months in a 6 month period.
I get to enter the UK, as it is, for 6 months (on all my passports)
Further, on one of them, I am exempt from registration with the police in the UK.
That would likely change under Schengen.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
A lot of things would, of necessity, change if the UK were to sign up fully to Schengen.

However, it's never going to happen (not in the foreseeable future anyway), as Britain wants less Europe, not more!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
The UK and by default Ireland wont go into the Schengen anytime soon thank god. The reason why Ireland wont go into the zone is that this would cause an issue with the border with the British part of the Island and I cant see the Republic making a decision that would bring back border controls as there would be an uproar by those that identify themselves as Irish in the North of the Island.
-----

Aer Lingus and Little in the Red Will share check in and other things I heard. EI will have their own lounge unless thats changed since last month.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by lyncthom
Driving license includes place and date of birth which is viewed by the authorities as sufficient evidence of entitlement to use the CTA. I suspect the checks in Aberdeen are a hangover from the troubles.
Canada (BC) has date of birth, but not HK (driving license, though it's not needed as a better form of ID there is HKID.)
Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My guess is that anyone not in possession of an EU driving license would instead use their passport.

(Canadian and Hong Kong driving licenses are not generally held by people residing in Ireland [such licenses are only valid in Ireland for a limited time if the holder is a temporary visitor, so any holders of such licenses living in either Ireland or the UK should have obtained a local license] and would therefore attract greater scrutiny - references to license in this thread were meant to assume an Irish or British, or at least an EU, license).
Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:27 am

Has any information about the new T2 layout been released?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zkzkz
Has any information about the new T2 layout been released?
http://www.heathrowairport.com/t2
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by TechnoGeek
Pardon my ignorance...I am new to the travelling community...but what is 'Travelling the Green Mile' !?
My guess is either taxi'ing for what appears to be ages or walking through the long winding T1 corridors. But you can educate me better.
Akin to gerbils in a habitrail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.