FAQ No.1: Aer Lingus Lounges

Old Jul 15, 2023, 6:12 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Originally Posted by DELLAS
"ASPIRE LOUNGE: Please be aware that the Aspire Lounge at Belfast City Airport will be closed from 4th July to 6th July 2023 (inclusive) to make the final touches to our new and improved offering. "

Wonder if we will see EI offer it .
If the one in Birmingham is anything to go by then hopefully not.

Wrote a post about the whole airport last night but it got moved.

The Aspire lounge in BHX is the worst Ive ever been in. Virtually no food. Just a chicken paella. Veggie option ran out. Promise of replacement but it wasnt. No savouries, sweets, biscuits or chocolate at all. Bread that seemed days old. All soft drinks came from a machine and all alcohol from a bar so no self service. They ran out of red wine. No bottles of water you might grab for the flight. The place was filthy. Tables left unclean for forty minutes. Carpets unhoovered for days it looked like. 36 sterling is the standard charge.

Then they closed at 8.30 even though thete were still several flights not departed. Including mine.

An absolutely awful experience.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 8:03 am

Programs: EI Concierge, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Silver, IHG Platinum
BRS Escape Lounge

Is anyone having any luck accessing the new Escape Lounge in Bristol that replaced the old lounge at the start of June?

the old lounge wasnt on the list of lounge on the EI website, but they always accepted aer club status for entry anyway. New lounge is also not on the EI list on their website.

I asked the people at the counter a few weeks ago and they said they hoped to have access to EI available soon, but didnt know for certain.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 8:56 am

Going to be travelling with my brother and his family lhr-snn. I ve got concierge which i believe allows me bring a guest, I've gifted silver membership to my brother.

Would we need to book a lounge pass for kids or will they get in as travelling with parents. Kids are 4 and 10
Old Jul 15, 2023, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by alserire
If the one in Birmingham is anything to go by then hopefully not.

Wrote a post about the whole airport last night but it got moved.

The Aspire lounge in BHX is the worst I’ve ever been in. Virtually no food. Just a chicken paella. Veggie option ran out. Promise of replacement but it wasn’t. No savouries, sweets, biscuits or chocolate at all. Bread that seemed days old. All soft drinks came from a machine and all alcohol from a bar so no self service. They ran out of red wine. No bottles of water you might grab for the flight. The place was filthy. Tables left unclean for forty minutes. Carpets unhoovered for days it looked like. 36 sterling is the standard charge.

Then they closed at 8.30 even though thete were still several flights not departed. Including mine.

An absolutely awful experience.
Let's unpack this.

1. Virtually no food. A chicken paella seems to be a pretty decent meal to me. Obviously you're vegetarian so I can see why you'd be miffed the only option you could eat had run out. It happens. However, having both a standard and a vegetarian option available doesn't seem too shabby at all. It's actually more than what the Dublin lounges were offering until recently. Since you were there near closing, it is perhaps not surprising it wasn't replenished though. It happens in all lounges near closing as it would be a waste of food to put out a whole fresh dish.

2. No savouries, sweets, biscuits or chocolate at all. I imagine you were looking for these due to the vegetarian main having run out. I don't see not having these items as a big deal, but perhaps you were looking for tea and a biscuit, which, granted, many would. I wonder if they were packed away since you were there near closing time.

3. Bread that "seemed days old". Was that from eyeballing it or tasting it or checking the expiry dates (if it was pre-packaged). Something could "seem" bad but be perfectly fine, so...

4. What is wrong with soft drinks from a machine? Do you prefer yours from a can, glass bottle or plastic bottle? Does it make any difference? I was quite happy to have my soft drinks from a machine in the American Airlines Admirals Club lounges in the US.

5. All alcohol from a bar. Why is this bad? It's the same in Dublin T1. You'll also find that in most of the top first class lounges (Qantas in Sydney, CX in Hong Kong) you have to order at the bar and there is no self-service. This could be considered very premium (but, as with any pay to use lounge, it's usually to restrict people going hog wild on the freebies!)

6. Running out of red wine is a crime, so we agree here. I hope you were able to find a substitute.

7. No bottles of water to grab for the flight. It is generally accepted, moreso in third party lounges, that what is available in the lounge is to be consumed there. Therefore, this is not a problem. I've taken to bringing a reusable water bottle to fill in the terminal, better for the environment.

8. Filthy, unclean, carpets not hoovered - I agree on this, I can't stand a dirty lounge. However, maybe they had stopped cleaning in anticipation of the lounge closing. Also, I've seen some very premium lounges look dirty when they're busy. There is only so much the staff can do if there are a lot of people finishing up and leaving at the same time. Even so, I agree, it's a bad look and I hate sitting around in rubbish and crumbs too.

9. Closing time - you are upset they closed at their regularly advertised closing time?! This is standard for airport operated lounges. Everybody out at closing time. Not sure why this is a bugbear of yours.

While I can accept you're upset with the lounge experience, some of your points, unless I am missing something, are just not problems at all. Feel free to elaborate if I have missed something here, but it seems like a decent enough airport lounge to me.
ChurnieEls likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Let's unpack this.

1. Virtually no food. A chicken paella seems to be a pretty decent meal to me. Obviously you're vegetarian so I can see why you'd be miffed the only option you could eat had run out. It happens. However, having both a standard and a vegetarian option available doesn't seem too shabby at all. It's actually more than what the Dublin lounges were offering until recently. Since you were there near closing, it is perhaps not surprising it wasn't replenished though. It happens in all lounges near closing as it would be a waste of food to put out a whole fresh dish.

2. No savouries, sweets, biscuits or chocolate at all. I imagine you were looking for these due to the vegetarian main having run out. I don't see not having these items as a big deal, but perhaps you were looking for tea and a biscuit, which, granted, many would. I wonder if they were packed away since you were there near closing time.

3. Bread that "seemed days old". Was that from eyeballing it or tasting it or checking the expiry dates (if it was pre-packaged). Something could "seem" bad but be perfectly fine, so...

4. What is wrong with soft drinks from a machine? Do you prefer yours from a can, glass bottle or plastic bottle? Does it make any difference? I was quite happy to have my soft drinks from a machine in the American Airlines Admirals Club lounges in the US.

5. All alcohol from a bar. Why is this bad? It's the same in Dublin T1. You'll also find that in most of the top first class lounges (Qantas in Sydney, CX in Hong Kong) you have to order at the bar and there is no self-service. This could be considered very premium (but, as with any pay to use lounge, it's usually to restrict people going hog wild on the freebies!)

6. Running out of red wine is a crime, so we agree here. I hope you were able to find a substitute.

7. No bottles of water to grab for the flight. It is generally accepted, moreso in third party lounges, that what is available in the lounge is to be consumed there. Therefore, this is not a problem. I've taken to bringing a reusable water bottle to fill in the terminal, better for the environment.

8. Filthy, unclean, carpets not hoovered - I agree on this, I can't stand a dirty lounge. However, maybe they had stopped cleaning in anticipation of the lounge closing. Also, I've seen some very premium lounges look dirty when they're busy. There is only so much the staff can do if there are a lot of people finishing up and leaving at the same time. Even so, I agree, it's a bad look and I hate sitting around in rubbish and crumbs too.

9. Closing time - you are upset they closed at their regularly advertised closing time?! This is standard for airport operated lounges. Everybody out at closing time. Not sure why this is a bugbear of yours.

While I can accept you're upset with the lounge experience, some of your points, unless I am missing something, are just not problems at all. Feel free to elaborate if I have missed something here, but it seems like a decent enough airport lounge to me.
I arrived at 6 p.m. Two and a half hours before closing. Which was nowhere advertised in the lounge. That I saw anyway.

DUB, FCO, LIN, MXP, MUC, TFS, LHR, LGW.

Just this year alone every single one of them miles, absolutely miles ahead of the absolute kip that is BHX.

No toilets in there either.
FlightDetective and flashware like this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 10:12 am

Just this year alone every single one of them miles, absolutely miles ahead of the absolute kip that is BHX.
I'm quite glad I won't be flying out of BHX anytime soon and if so, I won't be paying for the lounge after reading your comments.

Hopefully you wrote a complaint to Aspire, as it's the only way they will improve.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 11:16 am

I'm quite glad I won't be flying out of BHX anytime soon and if so, I won't be paying for the lounge after reading your comments.

Hopefully you wrote a complaint to Aspire, as it's the only way they will improve.
Mentioned it to cabin crew. They suggested letting EI know. Which I will.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 11:34 am

Mentioned it to cabin crew. They suggested letting EI know. Which I will.
Yes, you'd be right to let EI know your thoughts.

Who knows, perhaps they'll switch over to the far superior No.1 Lounge at BHX instead. Fingers crossed!
Old Jul 15, 2023, 12:03 pm

Yes, you'd be right to let EI know your thoughts.

Who knows, perhaps they'll switch over to the far superior No.1 Lounge at BHX instead. Fingers crossed!
Id be delighted with that based on the one in LGW
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver
After the BA fiasco that was the move to JFK T8 I am trying different airlines and decided to try the JFK <-> MAN flight. The lounge at JFK is the old BA Concorde Room and virtually unaltered. The food was good and I was very happy with it. The 1903 lounge at MAN is a somewhat basic in furniture, but the food is excellent and more than compensated with constant top ups and interesting choices. I am sufficiently superficial that the lounge quality and, especially the food, matters to me.
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by freelance
After the BA fiasco that was the move to JFK T8 I am trying different airlines and decided to try the JFK <-> MAN flight. The lounge at JFK is the old BA Concorde Room and virtually unaltered. The food was good and I was very happy with it. The 1903 lounge at MAN is a somewhat basic in furniture, but the food is excellent and more than compensated with constant top ups and interesting choices. I am sufficiently superficial that the lounge quality and, especially the food, matters to me.

Thought the JFK Concorde lounge was the nicest I'd been in after MUC
Old Jul 17, 2023, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by freelance
I am really pleased to hear the Concorde Room remains virtually unchanged, which is good to hear. I'm with you, the lounge quality and the food matters hugely to me. It's why I'm a huge fan of the Cathay Pacific lounges, for example. The quality of the lounge makes a massive difference to the experience, not to mention the impression of the airline I am flying. Thanks for that!
Old Jul 31, 2023, 1:58 pm

Fancy new jugs and a selection of sandwiches in the Aer Lingus lounge at DUB .

Old Jul 31, 2023, 4:18 pm

Programs: AerClub Concierge, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor ALL Gold, NH Platinum
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Fancy new jugs and a selection of sandwiches in the Aer Lingus lounge at DUB .
Was delighted to see the sandwiches the last day - turkey and stuffing was decent - figured Id grab one in case there wasnt one on the plane. Heres hoping theyll stay!
DELLAS and Harper50505 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 12:25 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Vienna Airport Lounge.

Lots of work on VIE since last visit, the at gate security checks in the D gates are gone

The old (tiny) lounge beyond the D passport control has closed and new lounge upstairs has appeared In the main CD area before passport control (you will have to queue for passport control on exit so...)

Huge lounge will expansive food offering, great seating, views etc. Catering by DoN who are a top class Austrian corporate catering firm. This is better even than Munich which is saying something

https://www.viennaairport.com/en/pas.../vienna_lounge
alserire likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.