Wiki Posts
Search

AMS-DUB-ORD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, Avis Presidents Club, Life Member VFW Post 10029
AMS-DUB-ORD

Sorry if this has been addressed, I did a search but could not find anything. My daughter is flying AMS-DUB-ORD this Saturday, I know she will go through U.S. Customs Pre-clearance in DUB. My question is will she have to claim her luggage in Dublin and recheck it so it is identified by U.S. Customs or will it be checked through to ORD? On a side note, I love the FT forum. I have been following it over the years. Thanks for your assistance.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
I have no direct experience of transit procedures, as I live in DUB, but at the time they designed the T2 facility, I understood provision was made for the transit baggage to be containered in that area, so that baggage would be available for inspection.

I don't know if that requires retrieval of baggage in all cases, or only upon demand of the officer.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply GoldCircle. I will pass that on to her, she was looking into it from her end as well. Figured someone had to have flown this route recently.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Your daughter will be shown a photograph of her checked luggage as part of her interaction with the CBP official who will ask her to confirm that it is her luggage.

Check in at Amsterdam will be handled by KLM - and it is always good advice to check that the luggage tags applied show both DUB and ORD.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Thank-you irishguy28. I will let her know.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
I know the baggage is photographed at check-in in DUB.

Does this happen in AMS also, or is the suggestion that transit baggage is individually photographed upon arrival at DUB?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Update: checked in in AMS for Aer Lingus flt 603 connecting in DUB to Aer Lingus flt 125. She did check in with KLM in AMS, bags were checked through to ORD. When clearing CBP in DUB all she had to do was identify her luggage by photograph. Not sure if they were photographed in AMS or after arriving in DUB. Long story short, it was a smooth transition in DUB. Thanks irishguy28 and Goldcircle for your advice.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The photos are taken during the luggage transfer in Dublin.

Glad it all went smoothly. Travelling to the US via Dublin is so easy...I hate direct flights from other European gateways now, in comparison to the journey via DUB!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.